Economy Argentina just suffered the 2nd-biggest crash since 1950 for any stock market

I would lean more towards what the previous poster alluded to. Left leaning politics in South America hasn't gone so great the past while. More likely that capital is leaving the market out of fear rather than any big bank conspiracy. But who knows nowadays.

We see here the strange response to "the wrong person" being elected, and if it went much further and/or extended into financial punishment, then yes, we as people would need to punish some folks responsible.

This is crazy, i was just recommending Argentina to a friend as a vacation option.
Still a good recommendation when you consider that their money will now go further.

I merely see this as investors not having faith in a left-wing South American government. Any reason why they should considering the poor history investors has had with such governments in that region?

Still a good recommendation when you consider that their money will now go further.

Depends on how far the country plummets into chaos.
Mendoza would probably still be okay, though.

Cheap beef, cheap booze, cheap women. You can't go wrong.

Or maybe wait for a wedding.

Funny-Animal-Laughing-Sea-Lion-Picture.jpg

Because this looks to me like bankers crashing an economy because they dont like who won the election.

Bankers arent crashing the economy, its also regular people withdrawing its savings in US dollars and putting them under the mattress.

Because this looks to me like bankers crashing an economy because they dont like who won the election.

As a Bernie Sanders fan, let's say I am concerned with this.

Let's also just say prepare for this thread to be bumped if Sanders wins the presidency, and the market crashes.

Sanders wont crash the economy, because the US president isnt as powerful, the US has institutional solidity.

"Because this looks to me like bankers crashing an economy because they dont like who won the election."

Bingo

Because those that won have had an history of defaulting loans and then establishing strict currency controls to create the illusion that everything is fine.

@Jack V Savage and @kpt018 Remember when you guys called me CT-y for referring to the prospect of an economic contraction caused by capital's hostile response to a left-wing candidate?

Wow, seriously wow.

So you have a candidate and a party that have said repeatedly that they will default on debt, that implemented a currency control in the past and that believe that printing money creates growth and you are surprised that people decide that holding Argentinian peso is a bad idea?

If Peronismo manages to give people confidence that they wont do what they usually do (default on debt, print money, created currency controls) then the markets will recover.

This is crazy, i was just recommending Argentina to a friend as a vacation option.

Its better than ever to go to Argentina, things are going to be cheap as fuck.

We see here the strange response to "the wrong person" being elected, and if it went much further and/or extended into financial punishment, then yes, we as people would need to punish some folks responsible.

Right, because rich people love losing money.

Maybe dont elect people that believe stealing is ok.

Argentina and financial crisis go hand in hand.

So far is a financial crisis caused by government spending too much and people losing faith in government ability to pay, not a crisis caused by the destruction of the productive base.

The economy was slowly recovering under Macri. Now Cristina will turn Argentina into the next Venezuela.

The economy was slowly recovering under Macri. Now Cristina will turn Argentina into the next Venezuela.

No, it wasnt.

Macri's failure is the reason why Peronism made a comeback.

Hmm... Argentina is falling apart, Britain is riven by internal disagreement and uncertainty.

Sounds like we need a round 2 for the Falklands to pull us all together.

No, it wasnt.

Macri's failure is the reason why Peronism made a comeback.
Wtf are you talking about?
Expenditure exploded under the Kirchners, thanks to them the majority of the working population had a (mostly useless) government job.

Bankers arent crashing the economy, its also regular people withdrawing its savings in US dollars and putting them under the mattress.

Sanders wont crash the economy, because the US president isnt as powerful, the US has institutional solidity.

Because those that won have had an history of defaulting loans and then establishing strict currency controls to create the illusion that everything is fine.

Wow, seriously wow.

So you have a candidate and a party that have said repeatedly that they will default on debt, that implemented a currency control in the past and that believe that printing money creates growth and you are surprised that people decide that holding Argentinian peso is a bad idea?

If Peronismo manages to give people confidence that they wont do what they usually do (default on debt, print money, created currency controls) then the markets will recover.

Its better than ever to go to Argentina, things are going to be cheap as fuck.

Right, because rich people love losing money.

Maybe dont elect people that believe stealing is ok.

Donald Trump said we might find out Saudi Arabia was behind 9-11, and yet I didn't see oil prices spike when he was elected.

Investors into listening to politicians words?

It's almost like these "investors" know this guy means it, maybe because they don't own him.

It's just not bankers that are withdrawing their investments from Argentina, it seems to be just about all multi-nationals that want out.

I'm all for jailing bankstas, always have been.

But this is about people with money believing that their investments aren't safe in Argentina.

They believe this because similar economic systems have an abysmal record

Wtf are you talking about?
Expenditure exploded under the Kirchners, thanks to them the majority of the working population had a (mostly useless) government job.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...argentina-wont-become-venezuela/#6e7996191a3e

Mauricio Macri's government was defeated Sunday in Argentina’s primary elections, with the one-term incumbent receiving 32.1% of the vote while his left wing challenger, Alberto Fernández, received more than 47%. The primaries, a precursor to the final vote, are open to all eligible voters, and given Macri’s loss it is almost impossible for him to reverse that result in the presidential elections on October 27.

The main reason for his defeat was that after almost four years in office, all the variables of the macro-economy worsened: inflation went from 25% to 50%, the dollar went from 15 pesos to 45 (and it is possible that it may jump to 60!), poverty increased from 30% to 34%, debt to the IMF multiplied, and the nation fell deeper into recession. The reasons for Macri’s failure are complex.

The victory of Alberto Fernández, whose running mate is former President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner (CFK), implies more of a turn towards the left-center through a Peronist coalition than the return of Kirchnerism. Two months ago, CFK announced that she would not run for president, despite being a popular yet polarizing politician. So she nominated Alberto Fernández – former chief of ministers to her husband Néstor Kirchner – who had previously resigned from CFK’s camp and begun criticizing her management decisions.

I would lean more towards what the previous poster alluded to. Left leaning politics in South America hasn't gone so great the past while. More likely that capital is leaving the market out of fear rather than any big bank conspiracy. But who knows nowadays.
This.

Rich people invest in China, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, Vietnam..etc
They invest in lots of different countries, with lots of different government structures and economic systems. Some of these countries couldn't be more different, like China and Israel, but since rich people think they will make money there, it's worth investing.

Let's put it this way, they would invest in any country they think they can make money.
If they think they that the potential situation is so bad that it's worth withdrawing their investments asap losing the money they already put into their Argentina investments, then it must be a totally ineffective and inefficient system.

Oh Argentina , a potential Mercedes of a country but determined to put a drunk Arab behind the wheel .

Back