PBP ARES 11 Jan.20th Abdouraguimov vs Haratyk 2pm ET fight pass PbP discussion.

Baki will get him out of there this round I think, can't see the other guy lasting a third round of this

"Our vagus nerve is stimulated when we see someone suffering and they continue to fight through it. Very inspiring."

-Robin Black commentating an ARES MMA match, 2023.

Good fight so far. Wouldn’t make a FOTYC list or anything, but def. a good scrap.

Did he just stumble head first into the post?

<36>

Baki is only 21 so he could potentially benefit from another year fighting on the regionals but yes he appears ready for UFC guys.

Would 100% recommend another year or two. His striking looks good on the pads but he actually struggles to put it together in the cage, pretty static. He just gassed after 2 vs Mikael who didn't really have anything to offer but defense the whole fight, imagine someone who could also offer meaningful offense with a bit better cardio too? Well that's a lot of UFC WWs potentially.

Baki has the kinda potential to be a contender someday, I'd say ideally he needs 12-24 months worth of development still but hey...Hes way better than the majority of contender series guys and we are seeing OneFC, Bellator and KSW snap up a lot of talent early now, it's kinda proven to be the best way to go so maybe Baki goes to the UFC sooner than later.

Would 100% recommend another year or two. His striking looks good on the pads but he actually struggles to put it together in the cage, pretty static. He just gassed after 2 vs Mikael who didn't really have anything to offer but defense the whole fight, imagine someone who could also offer meaningful offense with a bit better cardio too? Well that's a lot of UFC WWs potentially.

Baki has the kinda potential to be a contender someday, I'd say ideally he needs 12-24 months worth of development still but hey...Hes way better than the majority of contender series guys and we are seeing OneFC, Bellator and KSW snap up a lot of talent early now, it's kinda proven to be the best way to go so maybe Baki goes to the UFC sooner than later.

I don't know if I would call that gassing. Baki definitely exhausted his energy reserves but that was because of how hard he put it on Mikael who refused to allow himself to be finished. Its hard to imagine anyone who isn't on PEDS not being exhausted after the pace of the first two rounds.

Baki's striking can look a little wild but if you watch how fast his punches come out and how straight he throws his jab you can see he has tremendous hand eye coordination. His striking will only continue to get better and his punches appear powerful.

I agree 21 is too young for any athlete to be competing in a higher weight UFC division. Another year fighting in ARES and he should be ready. He has a championship level ceiling if his MMA game continues to develop in the right way.

I don't know if I would call that gassing. Baki definitely exhausted his energy reserves but that was because of how hard he put it on Mikael who refused to allow himself to be finished. Its hard to imagine anyone who isn't on PEDS not being exhausted after the pace of the first two rounds.

Baki's striking can look a little wild but if you watch how fast his punches come out and how straight he throws his jab you can see he has tremendous hand eye coordination. His striking will only continue to get better and his punches appear powerful.

I agree 21 is too young for any athlete to be competing in a higher weight UFC division. Another year fighting in ARES and he should be ready. He has a championship level ceiling if his MMA game continues to develop in the right way.

I'd say 21 is too young for the higher weights, I think 125-135 it will be more common for guys in their early 20s to be in the top 10, especially now that so many guys are starting their pro careers with 8-10-12 amateur fights already under their belt by 18.

Gassing? Call it whatever you want, it doesn't matter. There's guys who are harder to take down who are way more of an offensive threat than Mikael who Baki would be at serious risk of fatiguing vs is my point and it's a valid one. I in no way think Bakis cardio is bad but like I said, Mikael could offer nothing but defense for 15 minutes and Baki was noticeably slowing down the end of the 2nd. I understand there were intense grappling exchanges.

I didn't say wild, I don't think it looks wild, I think it looks static, compartmentalized, he doesn't look comfortable striking yet, it's not fluid, he doesn't put things together very well, lots of single punches and 2 punches at a time, didn't show much ability to punch himself to the inside etc. And again his striking wasn't even being tested in this match, Mikael was all defense mode. Baki has talent, fairly quick and is a well trained athletic guy, I really like his pad work and sparring I've scene but right now he's very much a grappler learning how to strike still.

I'm being critical as a show of respect. Everyone's got stuff to work on, he's going to be great. I've seen the rounds he puts in with guys like Salahdine and Lazy King. He's at the right gym.

*Also Baki didn't look to like those low kicks, Mikael wasn't even setting them up or offering much else standing over the 15 minutes but a few of those made Baki uncomfortable. This was the perfect fight for him, just enough of a challenge.

"Our vagus nerve is stimulated when we see someone suffering and they continue to fight through it. Very inspiring."

-Robin Black commentating an ARES MMA match, 2023.
Haha I heard the "Vegas nerve" at first, took me a minute to get it.

Robin Black has the most WTF way to describe fights.

Fm8sZlsX0A4_z0z

Back