Aren't punches way too dangerous to use in real fights?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Dayuum, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Dayuum

Dayuum Orange Belt

The chance of getting a fractured hand if you land a full powered punch is pretty high. Just look when Tyson got into a street fight and he broke his hand. Wouldn't kicks be a lot safer?

2. Badr Hari

Badr Hari Purple Belt

the chance of getting taken down after kicking is HIGHER (and you know in a Street fight- with NO rules, taken down 99% means lost the fight) than breaking the hand while punching, though you'll breake your hand only when you don't punch properly

the best thing to do in a street fight is actualy to PUNCH and if you want to kick or knee, the only good kick or good knee is the one to the groin, nothing else

3. DarkBlack454**

DarkBlack454** Banned Banned

Punch to the body if you're that worried about it. Most people on the street don't expect it either.

I've broken both hands several times, and it definitely sucks, but it comes with the territory. If you're going to fight, expect to get hurt. You're delusional if you think there is a magical technique that will make a fight "safe".

I guess what I'm trying to say is, fighting in general is dangerous. If that's a problem you probably shouldn't do it.

4. Giant Midget

Giant Midget Blue Belt

Usually if you do hurt your hands you don't feel it because of the adrenaline so I wouldn't worry too much, but the best way to punch in a street fight is to turn your hand over more so that mainly the index and middle knuckles connect, this way it's more painful for the other guy and you aren't involving any smaller bones in your hand. Apart from that a good boot in the stones always does the trick. As a famous street fighter once said, "DENGA DA DENGA DA DENG" :D

5. DarkBlack454**

You can throw a punch as properly as you want, if you hit someone on the top of the head there's a good possibility you will break your hand...if you're fighting someone that knows how to fight, they'll probably know to move their head and it hightens the risk of catching the top of their head.

6. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

A good boxer can get an inexperienced guy to hit the top of the head and break his hand.

7. DarkBlack454**

Yeah...Tommy Hearns was really inexperienced when he fought Marvin Hagler...:D

Urijah Faber must be extremely inexperienced because he broke both hands in the Mike Brown rematch...:D

I guess that is the only possible way for that to happen. Thanks for the insight...:icon_lol:

8. DarkBlack454**

This too^

9. Fedizzle***

Fedizzle*** Green Belt

As soon as you drop the dude, just kick the shit out of him. Personally, Ive always used kicks in street fights, front kicks work well against guys that charge you.

10. nakmuay84

nakmuay84 Blue Belt

palm strikes, elbows, kick/knees in the nuts. that's it.

11. Not to mention a good body shot can put a lot of guys down-- and if they don't go down, they'll be feeling that hit for a while.

12. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

what the hell is this thread about? Lol I think people have been punching eachother in streetfights since Egyptian times. Hell, since caveman times.

Yeah I know a couple people who broke their hand from socking a guy in the hard part of the head, but for the most part IMHO untrained people can't punch hard enough to break their hand easily.

Even guys I see in the gym who think they can punch hard... eh not really - to get the kind of punching power that pro fighters who actually break their hands in fights have, that's a whole different scale of power.

The other thing to consider is that in the fights you see on TV, the professionals are a lot better at defense, and so it becomes more likely that a punch lands on an elbow/forehead. I don't think anybody ever broke their hand smashing someone's jaw or solar plexus

13. MoroccanFan

MoroccanFan Blue Belt

Knee to the face will do alot of damage..

14. CharmingCritic

CharmingCritic Orange Belt

This is ridiculous. Anyone can throw a punch hard enough to break their hand, with little problem. I know everyone here wants to rant about how great and powerful pro boxers are, but any jackass off the street who throws a wild baseball pitch punch (as most people do) can break his hand. Its plenty fragile enough.

An inexperienced person isn't going to aim for the jaw either. He's going to aim for the head and let it land where it lands.

15. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

No, you're ridiculous - how many guys do you know that got in fights all the way from high school to going out to the bars/clubs on weekends.

In all this fighting, how many people do you know who actually broke their hand? I know like... maybe two guys out of what, everybody I've ever met? And both of them broke their hands beating the shit out of a guy.

16. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

tho i dont condone fighting outside the ring, but i know from personal exp. dont punch too hard in a street fight.

for one thing if you train, punching with proper technique is more than enough to put a man in the streets down. no need to throw haymakers and super hard punches.

really you just gotta touch the chin with a 2 or 3 punch combination and the guy is going down.

17. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

And before we get off topic, remember the title of this thread: "Aren't punches way too dangerous to use in real fights?"

Answer: No.

And if you think the answer is "yes" - why don't you go out next saturday night and find out.

18. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

you're right. before i train (yes i used to get in alot of altercations in the streets, most of them involved more than 1 person and more often than not... had weapons) and when i try to swing as hard i could... never had problems with my hands..... UNTIL I LEARNED HOW TO PROPERLY PUNCH!!

once i learned how to punch the right way and i got in a street fight. i damn near almost broke both hands. the brittle bones in both of my hands were swollen for weeks. my hands looked like they belong in a cartoon.

since then i learned to just touch... thats all. once you learn how to punch.. there's no need to throw as hard as you can. just putting your fist on the guys chin fast, and the correct way is enough to put him down.

19. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

punches are probably the safest thing to use in the streets. fast, quick, efficient and you dont get rug burns :))

20. kinchan

kinchan Guest

i reckon your hand won't break if you break someones nose, but if you're worried use bodyshots and you can train your knuckles and stuff if you want.