Areas with the most BJJ schools

NJrocks

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here in NJ there is seriously a BJJ school in every town, especially in Monmouth/Ocean counties. 10+, all in under a 30 minute drive from each other. I know California is full of them too, are there any areas in the country that come close? Vegas seems to come to mind from what I've heard.

Yeah it feels like NY/NJ are a huge jiu jitsu hotspot, like everywhere you go there are multiple places to train. I couldn't imagine the rest of the country being like this.

yea, there tons of Renzo schools and offshoots of those like the Serra schools

Off the top of my head, I can think of five schools within 20 minutes of my house that have black belts teaching. I can think of two more that each probably have a black belt, but I'm not positive

Jiu Jitsu originated in the United States in the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo, Manhattan Beach area of LA). It then spread from there throughout Orange County, San diego and the entire country. I am lucky enough to be from the South Bay area of LA where there is a ton of jiu jitsu including the original Gracie academy as well as Rigan Machado's academy. I then moved to San Diego for college. Haha two schools twenty minutes from my house have 5 black belts. Throwdown has Dean Lister as well as 4 other black belt instructors and Alliance MMA has Lovi, Leo Santos, and now Xande and Saulo Ribiero (don't be so mean). San diego= one of the best jiu jitsu and mma scenes in the country. That's just two of the schools there too...just check out one of the 500 "jiu jitsu in SD" threads

Jiu Jitsu originated in the United States in the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo, Manhattan Beach area of LA). It then spread from there throughout Orange County, San diego and the entire country. I am lucky enough to be from the South Bay area of LA where there is a ton of jiu jitsu including the original Gracie academy as well as Rigan Machado's academy. I then moved to San Diego for college. Haha two schools twenty minutes from my house have 5 black belts. Throwdown has Dean Lister as well as 4 other black belt instructors and Alliance MMA has Lovi, Leo Santos, and now Xande and Saulo Ribiero (don't be so mean). San diego= one of the best jiu jitsu and mma scenes in the country. That's just two of the schools there too...just check out one of the 500 "jiu jitsu in SD" threads

i would say hawaii would take the crown on this one. as far as sheer distance, and schools located within such a close distance, its got to be oahu, hawaii.

hmmm...i would have to say Southern California; Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Hollywood area.

Dallas Metroplex has got a good amount.

Long Island has a fair number as well

from what I have heard, socal has a shit load of schools.

SoCal definitely wins in sheer starpower, but I just made a list of BJJ/MMA schools in Monmouth/ Ocean county NJ and I got it up to 12. All within a half hour or so drive to each other. I'm sure there are a few I missed as well. Many of them are great schools.

I have noticed alot of academies pop up in the North Jersey area over the years. Our Academy has been open for about 5 years and in that time frame I have seen a few come and go...soon it will be like the taekwondo dojos on every town/city block.

Ze Cobra Submission Grappling
226 Harrison Ave
Harrison NJ 07029
973-445-7796

I wonder if EternalRage still has the map of long island he made up... it was pretty ridiculous, but I'm sure LA has a higher concentration, and surely parts of brasil are just retarded.

Back