Are your countries' BJJ society like my countries as well?...

whatthebbuck

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey... I am blue belt (4stripes) in South Korea, trained bjj for 3 years and 7 months. I've been in 23 competitions here, more than times silver and bronze medalist, and 2 time champion in my weight class in blue belt division.

Recently, I got kicked out of my gym because of my former instructor. His name is Kim, a purple belt, instructor of a gym called Jiu-jitsuLock. We had a lot troubles after my blue belt promotion. He never liked me watching any grappling moves on the internet, or any black belt competition, and he always blamed me for mixing those moves from top competitors. He wanted me to 100% follow his direction, but I am a different man with him. It was difficult for me copy his techniques like Berlimbolo, Crap Ride, etc because I hip joints were never flexible. I prefered wrestling and judo takedowns, top play, and speedy guard passes, but he disliked me practicing those.
As the time went on, he started not recommending his students to spar each other. It took me 3 jours to do 5 minutes sparring for 6 times...
He then even started to not care about competitors im his team (me). Every Korean man needs to serve 2 years of military, and luckily, I served my military as some kinds of special soldier called KATUSA, so I was able to get out of base every weekend, and train BJJ, and join competition. I fought 9 competitions at that time, and most of them were failure, unlike the competitions I fought before military service, because I got fat for eating high-calories food, and training BJJ only once a week wasn't good enough at all. Despite of my competition challenge, he blamed me for not concentrating his class, and only copying moves on the internet. Moreover, he never cheered me once in these 9 competitions.

Anyway, on 23rd, Sep, 2014, on the day I finished my military service, I left this team. We concluded that our styles are our ideal idea on BJJ are different. We decided to meet each other without any grunge. And as I know, he left his team, M.A.R.C, as well.

Then I moved to Gracie Barra Korea(GBK), the team I was introduced by my former instructor when we were still okay. And joining this team was my dumbest decision ever. Anyway, I won the biggest one of the biggest championships in South Korea while practicing in this team.

The professor and instructors of GBK liked my former instructor a lot. Since he is teamless, they wanted him to join GBK as well. I didn't care at first, until my former instructor wrote something bad about me on his BJJ blog on 8th, Jan, 2015.

He depreciated my BJJ as "basic-less, internet copied techniques." He described me as the person who does not repeatedly drill techniques, and only want to use the vainglorious, flamboyant techniques. He also said that because I taught those interent-copied techniques to other people, I interrupted his class schedule...
I was so angry. My first thought was "wasn't we decided to keep a good relationship?" I countered this on facebook. I wrote "first my techniques are not internet-copied techniques, what I did was just designing the technique that best fit on me, I haved repeated these moves all days, during sparring session and drilling session." " Second, of 90% of teachings, other people asked me about my techniques first, is it a problem to teach techniques when other people asked me?"

Then, the professor of GBK read my facebook post. He kicked me out for being disrespectful to former instructor. And the former instructor and his team, JiujitsuLock, joined GBK.

Moreover, many instructors and professors of other teams, who claimed to be neutral, are just fucking blaming me. They jusitified his blog post that targeted on me.

Currently, I do not know what to do now. Some of my competitor friends are recommending me some gyms that do not care about all these bullshits, but I have no will, and energy to search for a new gym. I am also thinking of quitting BJJ as well. Is something like this happening in your places, countries as well? Do instructors justify other instructors mischievious act just they are all gym owners? Are there fucking politics there too? Man I have no idea what should I do now. I am just so sick and disgusted by the Korean BJJ society...

To some extent this shit happens everywhere.

don't let one douchebag ruin your bjj journey.

it seems like your former instructor feels threaten by you (or jealous) because you're being more helpful than him, his students are asking you for advice instead of asking him, he sounds like a real close minded fella from what you described. :icon_conf

not all gyms in Korea are like that btw. I'm guessing you're residing in Seoul. If you come down to Busan, our team will take you with open arms. None of that BS, everyone is like family.

https://www.facebook.com/ToziKoreaBjj

Or find one of the Seoul Affiliations in the 동천백산 network. BTO is a good gym, and the instructor is a very nice guy as well.

Duke (전두광) is also teaching in seoul, I think he doesn't give a shit either lol

Hey... I am blue belt (4stripes) in South Korea, trained bjj for 3 years and 7 months. I've been in 23 competitions here, more than times silver and bronze medalist, and 2 time champion in my weight class in blue belt division.

Recently, I got kicked out of my gym because of my former instructor. His name is Kim, a purple belt, instructor of a gym called Jiu-jitsuLock. We had a lot troubles after my blue belt promotion. He never liked me watching any grappling moves on the internet, or any black belt competition, and he always blamed me for mixing those moves from top competitors. He wanted me to 100% follow his direction, but I am a different man with him. It was difficult for me copy his techniques like Berlimbolo, Crap Ride, etc because I hip joints were never flexible. I prefered wrestling and judo takedowns, top play, and speedy guard passes, but he disliked me practicing those.
As the time went on, he started not recommending his students to spar each other. It took me 3 jours to do 5 minutes sparring for 6 times...
He then even started to not care about competitors im his team (me). Every Korean man needs to serve 2 years of military, and luckily, I served my military as some kinds of special soldier called KATUSA, so I was able to get out of base every weekend, and train BJJ, and join competition. I fought 9 competitions at that time, and most of them were failure, unlike the competitions I fought before military service, because I got fat for eating high-calories food, and training BJJ only once a week wasn't good enough at all. Despite of my competition challenge, he blamed me for not concentrating his class, and only copying moves on the internet. Moreover, he never cheered me once in these 9 competitions.

Anyway, on 23rd, Sep, 2014, on the day I finished my military service, I left this team. We concluded that our styles are our ideal idea on BJJ are different. We decided to meet each other without any grunge. And as I know, he left his team, M.A.R.C, as well.

Then I moved to Gracie Barra Korea(GBK), the team I was introduced by my former instructor when we were still okay. And joining this team was my dumbest decision ever. Anyway, I won the biggest one of the biggest championships in South Korea while practicing in this team.

The professor and instructors of GBK liked my former instructor a lot. Since he is teamless, they wanted him to join GBK as well. I didn't care at first, until my former instructor wrote something bad about me on his BJJ blog on 8th, Jan, 2015.

He depreciated my BJJ as "basic-less, internet copied techniques." He described me as the person who does not repeatedly drill techniques, and only want to use the vainglorious, flamboyant techniques. He also said that because I taught those interent-copied techniques to other people, I interrupted his class schedule...
I was so angry. My first thought was "wasn't we decided to keep a good relationship?" I countered this on facebook. I wrote "first my techniques are not internet-copied techniques, what I did was just designing the technique that best fit on me, I haved repeated these moves all days, during sparring session and drilling session." " Second, of 90% of teachings, other people asked me about my techniques first, is it a problem to teach techniques when other people asked me?"

Then, the professor of GBK read my facebook post. He kicked me out for being disrespectful to former instructor. And the former instructor and his team, JiujitsuLock, joined GBK.

Moreover, many instructors and professors of other teams, who claimed to be neutral, are just fucking blaming me. They jusitified his blog post that targeted on me.

Currently, I do not know what to do now. Some of my competitor friends are recommending me some gyms that do not care about all these bullshits, but I have no will, and energy to search for a new gym. I am also thinking of quitting BJJ as well. Is something like this happening in your places, countries as well? Do instructors justify other instructors mischievious act just they are all gym owners? Are there fucking politics there too? Man I have no idea what should I do now. I am just so sick and disgusted by the Korean BJJ society...

If you don't have the will to find a new gym, would there be anything wrong with just taking some time off?

Maybe in a couple of months you will miss BJJ and find the energy to start again. That's what I do when I get discouraged with something---just take a break. Forget about it for a while.

Also, your former instruction sounds like a dick. And it's obvious that the GBK guys are not neutral---they only chose him over you because he is their friend.

Train until you get to purple. Challenge him to a match and beat him in front of everyone.

Also, in reply to your initial topic question, the answer is no. The BJJ circle here in Sydney is close knit (especially at the higher levels) but almost everyone likes everyone. I belong to Gracie Oceania (now known as 'MyBJJ') and coaches from different schools (but the same affiliation) who I've never met would cornered me in competition when my main coach (who followed me to every comp) had to corner another. Most coaches talk about students but, even in a negative way, we don't see the need to phone up the student's coach and bitch about them and certainly not write it on a public forum for all to see.

Your entire situation is messed up (and not you fault). I hope you continue training and find a new gym. Good luck

Train until you get to purple. Challenge him to a match and beat him in front of everyone.

Also, in reply to your initial topic question, the answer is no. The BJJ circle here in Sydney is close knit (especially at the higher levels) but almost everyone likes everyone. I belong to Gracie Oceania (now known as 'MyBJJ') and coaches from different schools (but the same affiliation) who I've never met would cornered me in competition when my main coach (who followed me to every comp) had to corner another. Most coaches talk about students but, even in a negative way, we don't see the need to phone up the student's coach and bitch about them and certainly not write it on a public forum for all to see.

Your entire situation is messed up (and not you fault). I hope you continue training and find a new gym. Good luck

Is your coach Mario Yokohama?

Also TS I wouldn't let it get to you too much, sounds like that guy was a douche.

Do not lose hope. Although I believe it is good to have an instructor and school to train at, if needed you can become a ronin (a person without a trainer/master). There is so much information on the internet, in books, DVDs, and phone applications that if you have some mat space to use and a dedicated training partner, your advancement can continue, but it will be at a slower pace.

To some extent this shit happens everywhere.

Wut? If my professor ever told me I wasn't allowed to supplement my training with instructionals, YouTube, or by watching black belt competitions and I was ONLY allowed to use techniques that he personally showed me, I'd leave. That's absurd.

Not picking sides here, but this is the instructor's post on his blog.

............There was a student of mine that made his own style after learning some moves via the internet. He showed me that he invented techniques but I felt that he wasn't at a level to invent his own techniques so I tried to talk him out of it but he always ended the conversation with an abrupt "oss" and didn't change his ways.
It's okay to not follow my style. I knew he was passionate and he was a hard worker so I respected him unless he interfered with my classes.
The problem was he kept teaching others. For a white belt, a colored belt teaching him techniques could seem like an act of kindness; in my point of view, it didn't look too nice as it only overwhelmed the white belts that had trouble remembering what they did in class.
There's a difference between being a good teacher and being a good player...........becoming a teacher means being responsible till the end.......
....sometimes there are people that like teaching too much. But they do not want to be an instructor. If you like teaching remember being an instructor comes with responsibility. If you can't make them drill the techniques you taught them, than don't confuse them.
If you don't want to be an instructor but love to teach your techniques, than at least feel the room. I feel that is the last bit of respect you can give jiu jitsu instructors that have gave up being financially well off and gave their all for jiu jitsu.......

Sorry its after 12 am here and I didn't feel like translating the parts that weren't that important.

PS I'm neither a member of Jiu Jitsu Lock, MARC, or GBK.

1. Your old instructor seemed like he had some authority issues, especially for a purple belt.

2. I know it sucks, but I feel like I would have done the same thing is I was in charge of GBK after your facebook post.

3. Don't give up. If you like competing just join a Frankl, DCBS, Bros, or a KJ affiliate. Especially if you placed in that many tournaments I would just try a Frankl affiliate and try to get on their comp. team.

4. If you're not feeling like competing at bjj for a while and/or just want to get away from all the bullshit, join an independent gym that has a "free-er" vibe. Team One has gi bjj classes, as Cube MMA and Axis MMA. Gracie Academy in Seoul is very free as well. Hope you find what is right for you.

We aren't getting the full story. Maybe what the instructor is doing is a little harsh. Was he interrupting class to promote his style? Was he not respecting the instructor during instruction? How was he with the other students? Was he respectful to the other students.

I know a purple belt that has been kicked out of several gyms. He never lets anyone work technique. Didn't do what the instructor was teaching that day. Always was trying to teach a variation of the technique that worked better, his words.

He would go for toe holds and heel hooks on beginners and heel hooks on guys in the gi. He injured several people with his style.

All I'm saying is you don't know the entire story. I'm not saying this guy is like that but you never know.

Last edited:
Oss :) maybe challenge him to a jiu jitsu match and end this for all...

Have you ever trained Judo? Why not go do Judo in your country instead if BJJ is starting to wear on you?

Lol @ the purple blogging about a white belt student he cannot control during his class.

Also lol when he wrote that he gave up a good paying job to teach bjj.

That purple belt is so funny. He did not want to give it all to jiu jitsu. He just did not want a normal job and thought that teaching bjj for a living would be easy with respecting customers!

Why does MAs attract people like that?

If you live in Seoul there is zero reason to be learning from a purple belt theres got to be plenty of black belchs near you

There are elements of what the ts mentions in most BJJ communities in the world. But the ts should always keep in mind that ego and face are a much bigger deal in Asia, especially Korea than any other country. If you undermine a Korean instructor or if he/she feels you are undermining them then you certainly won't have the support of your instructor.

The John Frankl guys are cool and tough, there are a number of their gyms around Seoul that you will be able to train at.

Wut? If my professor ever told me I wasn't allowed to supplement my training with instructionals, YouTube, or by watching black belt competitions and I was ONLY allowed to use techniques that he personally showed me, I'd leave. That's absurd.

A purple belt at that. There's only so much a purple belt will be able to teach a four stripe blue belt. You're in a position where you pretty much HAVE to supplement your training via other sources.

Agreed.

My instructors encourage us to look for videos online and instructional dvd's. they just want us to learn to get better. They do not care who's style you attempt to emulate just as long as you improve and have fun.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention is that my head instructor could careless what gym we go to. In fact most of the gyms in my area have a lot of the same people visit them. Two had a falling out, but guys still visit both. Anybody who is upset for something like that should not be teaching.

Back