Are you worth 50k

My mom says I'm worth a million because of my smile

29185-really-dog.jpg

My company does a life insurance policy that pays out 4x my annual salary to my family as a lump sum.

I'm worth more dead than alive, that's all I know.

Worth/Value......both are subjective......my family have often referred to me as Priceless...LOL...

Yes. Pretty much everyone is.

Assuming you are working and don't die in the next year, almost everyone will receive at least that much as income.

The median wage in the US per person is $26,695.

So, your estimate is about 100% too high.

Using what I think the OP means - nope.

And most people aren't worth it to anyone but themselves.

No. But try to make that an actuality and I will destroy you and all you love.

Is this a life insurance thread? I don't have kids or debt, don't need any life insurance.

-source? i think that the TS is misinterpreting and misrepresenting things.

-here is a better source
http://www.livescience.com/15855-dollar-human-life.html

At least in the United States, "the value of a statistical life turns out to be around $5 million," Mueller told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to LiveScience. ...If $5 million seems low to you, it's worth noting that safety analysts value lives more than most private companies. If faulty vehicle manufacturing leads to someone dying in a car crash, for example, "you can look how much will be paid to the family. That's usually much less than $5 million," Mueller said. Likewise, when a soldier is killed in Iraq, "the government pays the family $600,000. I guess that's what they think a life is worth."

If you strongly object to this whole concept and think that every life is priceless, you might consider this: Around 30,000 people die in car accidents in the United States each year. Close to zero would die if the government reduced the speed limit to 13 miles per hour. But do you want that to happen? Probably not. "Then you're basically saying that driving faster than 13 mph is worth tens of thousands of lives," Mueller said.

Maybe? I would like to think so - On the positive, I am an educator and research scientist and my work one day (and to a degree, already has) affected provincial policy and approaches towards recycling.

On the flip side, I don't know how much monetary value any of that has. Arguably, anybody in the service industry has more direct influence on people's day to day lives than I ever will. Sure, I may change policy, but so did the nut jobs who carried out 9/11. Policy change can result from both positive and negative catalysts.

I do hope my students go on to achieve great things and can affect positive change in the world. If I can contribute to that in some small part, then I would say I am worth 50k.

Back