Are you worth 50k

fluffball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
That's the default value placed on your life by insurance companies. Are you worth more? Less? Do you contribute anything to human kind? Are you a neurosurgeon with expensive training and invaluable experience that almost no one else on the planet has? Are you a star of the Bolshoi Ballet, with a million dollars worth of dance training? Are you a sherdog star, with priceless knowledge of MMA? Do you walk dogs?

I don't think someone has to be a neurosurgeon to be worth 50k. It's actually not that much, to be fair. I think it'd be harder to find an adult human who is not worth at least 50K than it would be to find one that is...

Yes. Pretty much everyone is.

Assuming you are working and don't die in the next year, almost everyone will receive at least that much as income.

Maybe if you are paralyzed and can't work...but even then, your family has likely spent at least that much taking care of you. Disabilities are expensive.

That's not the valuation. No one cares if YOU make 50k a year. Are you WORTH 50k a year. For all intents and purposes your salary could be consider a minus. Like, a personal injury lawyer does not contribute 500k a year to society.

Maybe? I would like to think so - On the positive, I am an educator and research scientist and my work one day (and to a degree, already has) affected provincial policy and approaches towards recycling.

On the flip side, I don't know how much monetary value any of that has. Arguably, anybody in the service industry has more direct influence on people's day to day lives than I ever will. Sure, I may change policy, but so did the nut jobs who carried out 9/11. Policy change can result from both positive and negative catalysts.

I do hope my students go on to achieve great things and can affect positive change in the world. If I can contribute to that in some small part, then I would say I am worth 50k.

Who's ponying up the 50k?

Hitman_Film.jpg

i'm pretty sure my family will get more than 50k from insurance if i were to die

That's not the valuation. No one cares if YOU make 50k a year. Are you WORTH 50k a year. For all intents and purposes your salary could be consider a minus. Like, a personal injury lawyer does not contribute 500k a year to society.

"Worth?" So, like, to society? Man what a stupid way to value yourself. What's so good about society that it becomes the ultimate value of a human being? Society is simply a bunch of humans, and you're telling me that a larger amount of humans should determine the value of each human simply because there's more of them?

Are you claiming by working we are ripping companies off? Because clearly they wouldn't want to pay us more than we are worth. Especially some bullshit job at a bullshit job like flipping burgers at McDonalds, which according to glassdoor would net you over 8 dollars per hour on average. 8 dollars an hour equals 16k per year. So a burger flipper making crap wage would be worth 50k to McDonalds in a little over 3 years.

Also I want to address your idea that a personal injury lawyer doesn't contribute 500k a year to society. A highly skilled personal injury lawyer would absolutely be capable of getting their clients way more than 500k a year. In fact a mediocre lawyer probably could as well.

Heck, the attorneys who defend personal injury lawsuits are worth more than that as well.

That's the default value placed on your life by insurance companies. Are you worth more? Less? Do you contribute anything to human kind? Are you a neurosurgeon with expensive training and invaluable experience that almost no one else on the planet has? Are you a star of the Bolshoi Ballet, with a million dollars worth of dance training? Are you a sherdog star, with priceless knowledge of MMA? Do you walk dogs?

I walk dogs, funny thing is the dogs are my brothers, my kids, my Mom's. Yet they all live with me and I walk them :(

It's usually a good idea to get insured for ten times what you make in a year. So like Tree Fiddy for me.

I got 150k life insurance from my work benefit.

The company I worked for had a $1 million key man policy on me.

Back