Are you supposed to ktfo your opponent in amateur bouts?

Twisted Hate said:
I see nothing wrong with going for a KO, unless of course, there is a rule against it . Then that would just suck, especially if you're a hard hitter.
agreed

All depends on the rules. Your both fighters...go put his lights out. I go after my oppoents like that because I believe that is what they are trying to do to me.

And for the shootfighting...how do you go for a knockdown but not k.o!?!?!?

SteveSmith said:
Are you supposed to ktfo your opponent in amateur bouts? Or it gives you a bad reputation? Are amateurs fights supposed to be more "friendly" or not?

in boxing, no. It's strategically bad b/c am boxing gloves are puffy, and the game is based off points and does NOT reward you for hitting hard. in am boxing, unfortuantely, you'll do better if u do a WTFTKD approach: play fist tagging.

I thought points in amateur boxing scored only punches with weight behind them...?

Kawlinz said:
I thought points in amateur boxing scored only punches with weight behind them...?

anything that hurts (or "would" hurt if gloves are not padded) scores you points. this prevents people from pitty patty and scoring 30 points in 5 seconds. a weak punch such as jab woudl score a point as long as it isn't some bruce lee backfist (actually those probably count too). this is hwy short people are likely not to succeed in am boxing. tall people always have a physical advantage over short in olympic rules, and being built like a wrestler is actually a flaw since none of that muscle helps u win.

I remember watching some amateur boxing on TV and the what it looked like is that you had to move the shoulder and the hips for it to count, and none of their jabs were counting as points. Maybe it was a different judging criteria but i'm sure it was olympic rules.

You can tell I don't follow ammy boxing :p

Kawlinz said:
I remember watching some amateur boxing on TV and the what it looked like is that you had to move the shoulder and the hips for it to count, and none of their jabs were counting as points. Maybe it was a different judging criteria but i'm sure it was olympic rules.

You can tell I don't follow ammy boxing :p

Jabs count. I saw olympic boxing, and the tall skinny thais have longer reach and just outjab their shorter opponents and win. Thais do well mainly b/c almost every weight division their boxer is really tall (along w/ the help of cuban coaches)

Why didnt you ask the ref or judges o_O

Back