Are you okay with Dana strong arming Leon to fight Khamzat?

I mean, Leon not taking fights kinda forced the UFCs hand. He acts like he's next in line for the belt or something but hasnt fought in a long ass time and turned down some good fights that would have upped his stock and put him right in the title picture. I'm sure it's not as one sided as that and the UFC is probably being dickish behind the scenes ... but cmon Leon you're a fighter, take a fight and win so your standing in the division is even more unquestionable.

Not gonna lie. I really like this fight but this was some cold shit.

I’m conflicted on how I feel. Thoughts?
Yes, I am. I know double standards and all that, but dude didn't want to fight anyone lol. Kept calling on gilbert as if gilbert was going to give up his shot lol.

If nothing else this is Leon time to show some inexperienced guy and steal his hype train. If he cant do that what is the point of him staying in UFC.

Can't wait for Leon to shut this big mouth up.

How i feel??? This is not the Ultimate Feelings Championship. Its a great fight and Leon has a special skill set where hes one of the best in the world to flow between different diciplinS of fighting. I feel excited for the fight....

Hurrah for monopolies then, everyone who loves MMA should want the best fighters to be fighting each other. Rather than the case of them ducking everyone like in boxing.
Yeah but over time they need to be paid well or level of talent will decrease. If I'm a teenage elite athlete, I sure as hell am trying other sports before the UFC circus

The strongarming didn’t bother me. If he had a 9/5, “strongarming” = being told to do your job. The opponent chosen did bother me. Why not do a double strongarm and make Leon and Masvidal fight?
Strong arming happens in 9-5, and it's more "if you don't do this shit no reward work, you're fired"

After Leon Edwards ducked wonderboy I would have been fine with Dana cutting him.
(I still would)

leon is a twitter influencer, hasn’t fought in a lifetime and hasn’t had an entertaining fight beside the 3 piece.

here is to Khamzat making a name off of him.

Go to your boss and tell him you don't want to do the job he asked of you because it's beneath you. Let us know how it works out for you.

I mean that’s basically what I said. The “or else” was kinda implied.
I work a 9-5, I will go to HR if this happens. Or to the industry body.

This is the problem with MMA . They have no one to go to, they either suck the dick or get slapped by the pimp.

Usually its a lose lose for someone in Leon's position. But he needs some hype and a win over someone who is not washed up

The ufc clearly dont like Edward's and think that they can use him to up chimaev'z stock as white clearly is hoping that he is khabib 2.0. It is really a risk all and gain little type of fght for him though as he should be beyond this type of unranked opponent.

I wouldn't want to be in Leon's position and you can easily make an argument for both sides. Leon made the right choice so I am cool with it.

I work a 9-5, I will go to HR if this happens. Or to the industry body.

This is the problem with MMA . They have no one to go to, they either suck the dick or get slapped by the pimp.
If your boss told you to show up at a job site to work and you said no, then he offered you another option and you said no to that as well then no to a third option and he subsequently told you to just stay home until further notice....you think you’d have a case to go to HR? I don’t think Leon Edwards should be defended here. He turned down fight after fight until the UFC got fed up and removed him from the rankings. If he had accepted one of the fights he turned down he wouldn’t be in the position of having to fight Chimaev. He did this to himself. There are a bunch of other reasons where I’d agree fighters get screwed over by the UFC and have no voice or avenue for grievances...this ain’t one of them.

Hes had trouble getting a fight maybe he can go out and get some fans now

Even though Edwards is taking this fight under compulsion, it's still a big opportunity for him. Khamzat is practically a star already, despite being unranked. If Edwards manages to beat him, he's practically a shoo in for the next title shot. Plus, his profile will be elevated overall.

If Edwards loses, he'll still remain ranked, and Dana might start seeing him as a team player. It can also depend on how he loses. If he lasts the full fight and drops a decision, he can gain respect for putting up a better showing than any of Khamzat's other UFC opponents.

Even though Edwards thought he already had the title shot secured, that wasn't really the case anymore once the Woodley fight fell through.

Back