Are you OK with Jones getting an immediate rematch if he loses?

I don't like instant rematches, I don't even like rematches with only 1 fight in between. There should be at least 2 or 3 wins in between.

That's one big reason people loved Chuck Liddell so much because before both of his title shots he took a fight before his title shots even though he already had the title shot locked in. Those fights were Babalu and Vernon White.

Dana tried to talk chuck out of the Babalu fight because Babalu was at that time considered a dangerous fight. Chuck said if I lose then I guess I'm not good enough to be a champion, but Chuck just wanted to stay active. People respect that. Unlike these champs today that defend their titles once or maybe twice a year.

There are so many fighters that go so long between fights I don't know if they are retired or not. When these inactive fighters finally do announce their retirement nobody cares.
I like guys like Rich Franklin but he hasn't fought since what? 2012? I just assume he is retired and if he isn't he should.

i dont know about that...if a champ has more than 4 defense how can you not believe he could win a rematch

I don't care if the former champ had 10 defenses. If you lose you lose. Work your way back up. Instant rematches are for controversial fights and draws only.
All these undeserved instant rematches are killing the sport. People don't want to see a bunch of recycled fights.

For me it depends on how he loses. If he gets totally dominated for a round or two and then finished I really don't think he should get an immediate rematch. If it's a close fight that goes to a decision? Yes sure, why not?

55488465.jpg

There's two sides for me.

1) I would say yes he would deserve a rematch as Jones has been undefeated for a long time and no one has matched his record at LHW for consecutive title defenses.

2) On the other hand no because it holds up everyone else who have worked hard to get their title shot. If you win the title off a dominant champion that's it, you are the champ so you defend it against the next number 1 contender and ex champ works his way up.

Its like in other sports like you don't have rematches, you have the one game and that's it you have a winner and loser.

I hate immediate rematches but he would actually deserve it.

Won't matter how Bones loses they'll give him an immediate rematch. No need for it tho because Bones is gonna make DC look awful.

Nope. He didn't play ball on 151. Have him fight whoever loses Gus / AJ.

I don't think there is any question, unless Jones would be defeated similiar to that of Shogun at UFC 128.

It depends on how he loses.

If he gets ragdolled, then no. Somehow I don't see either guy getting blown out in that fight though.

I don't care if the former champ had 10 defenses. If you lose you lose. Work your way back up. Instant rematches are for controversial fights and draws only.
All these undeserved instant rematches are killing the sport. People don't want to see a bunch of recycled fights.

For me, it's hurting my enjoyment of this weekend's fight.

I mean, does it really matter if DC wins? Jones will almost certainly get a rematch in a few months. It's hard to get really excited for a fight when you know the outcome doesn't matter.

Of course , Jones has dominated the LHW division for almost 4 years now , and a rematch if he does lose to Cormier would sell great , specially if the result of his loss to DC is controversial.

Exactly. He's never really lost and defended the belt like 7 times, forget it being a big seller, he's earned a rematch if he loses. Dont care if he gets knocked out in a second or beat down for 25 minutes.

He gets the rematch no matter what. Gus/Rumble will have to wait.

Exactly. He's never really lost and defended the belt like 7 times, forget it being a big seller, he's earned a rematch if he loses. Dont care if he gets knocked out in a second or beat down for 25 minutes.

He gets the rematch no matter what. Gus/Rumble will have to wait.

There's no logic in that statement at all.

He wouldn't give Gus a rematch, why should DC grant him one?

I don't know.

Jones has been one of the most active champions (cough Pettis, Cain) so it wouldn't be too cool to deny him a rematch.

At the same time it's so boring when there are so many rematches.

So you think you should have to beat the champion twice to win a belt?

Yeah, that's super fair.

No, you win the belt with the first fight and defend it with the second. Plus, this only applies to dominant champs. What isn't fair is when one guy takes all comers for years, drops one decision, then is denied a rematch. Take your teenage sarcasm elsewhere.

only if its a freak injury or NC

Back