Are you OK with Jones getting an immediate rematch if he loses?

Not unless it's a bad decision or something like that.

It depends on how close it is.
if DC obliterates him, well, then make him fight the loser of Gus vs. Rumble (the loser, not the winner)

if it is a close and controversial decision that is decided by 30 seconds somewhere in the middle of the fight... well, rematch.

If it is a draw, rematch.

If he is finished or completely dominated? No, bring in someone else.

Tito Ortiz set a record for title defenses, but when Couture literally spanked him there was no rematch (during a time in which the UFC arguably needed one)

But when Couture's eye was grazed and split by Vitor, we felt we didn't see the fight we had paid for. Gloves were redesigned and we got the rematch.

Circumstantial.

I made a thread about my dream of DC fighting Gus, so I don't know who will win, but DC will fight Gus!

Of course , Jones has dominated the LHW division for almost 4 years now , and a rematch if he does lose to Cormier would sell great , specially if the result of his loss to DC is controversial.

Last edited:
It depends on (a) how he loses; and (b) what happens in Gus/Rumble. If it's a controversial decision or something weird and flukey (like, Jones breaking his toe like in the Sonnen fight), then yeah I'd be fine with an immediate rematch, probably regardless of Gus/Rumble. If it's a fairly competitive fight, but one that the vast majority agree DC won (for example, a fight like Edgar/Bender 1), and Gus or Rumble wins in impressive fashion, I'd rather see the winner of Gus/Rumble go next with Jones taking one fight before getting a rematch. However, if Gus/Rumble is a shit-show or ends in a weird way, then I'd probably be OK with Jones getting rematch. If DC just stomps Jones, then no.

No need for immediate rematch regardless of the outcome. Having a fight in-between makes it more interesting. UFC thinks 'making the fights people want to see' means remaking any interesting fight as quickly as possible. If Jones loses, he can fight another top guy and build the hype for a rematch.

As everyone should understand, it depends on how he loses. If he loses like Barao did against Dillashaw, then it makes no sense with an immediate rematch. If it's a flash KO or if it's like Lawler/Hendricks, I would have no problem with an immediate rematch. Hopefully DC wins convincingly and Jones faces loser of Gus/Rumble (and hopefully that will be Rumble).

Is it's like Cain/JDS2, then no.

Have him fight the loser of Gus/Rumble, and the winner fight DC.

Instant rematches are ONLY for when the fight is controversial. The UFC has smeared the meaning of that for PPV sales. There is a trend that if the champ loses they get a immediate rematch and its IMO part of what has ran off o many new fans and made the PPV sales dwindle.

Edgar beats Penn, instant rematch, Bendo beats Edgar, instant rematch. Weidman beats Anderson Silva in devastating fashion, instant remach even though AS said he didn't want to rematch and was tired. Also Edgar vs Maynard 2, instant rematch. Edgar vs Maynard 2 & 3 was the only one that actually made sense for a instant rematch. Also all the rematches that only had 1 easy fight in between like Cain vs JDS and Bigfoot in repetition.
Fans want to see fresh fights not the same old recycled fights.
Very rarely do rematches and trilogies end up as classics. Of all the rematches/trilogies in the past few years Edgar vs Maynard was the only one that was actually a classic.

So many ex champs got their chances lately
Why not John ? Sherdog double meter again ? :D

Anyway, he will win. Cant wait for that river of tears post-fight ;D

depends on how he gets beaten

which he wont

Renan Barao got a rematch after getting his ass thoroughly whooped. Of course I'm cool with him getting a rematch.

I have no problem with rematches except in the Barao/Dillashaw type cases of total domination. Then the loser needs to beat a legit contender to restore his reputation. So Gus or Rumble if Jones loses badly.

Yes. Jones deserves it. Bones is the GOAT LHW of coarse

yes, I think he would deserve an immediate rematch since he's held the belt for so long, even if he gets dominated.

I don't think it's a big IF but probable.

Back