Are you more of an extrovert or introvert?

What's your pick?

• Total voters
Well I could be out socializing with people around the office, but I'd rather be sitting at my desk alone chatting with this group. Does that answer the question?
Thing is, we all have something in common here. If I spoke to anyone about Anderson hanging his gloves up then I'd just get a blank face. Okay we don't really talk about MMA in the off topic section or here but we share a common trait if we like watching fights etc. So it's understandable.

Talking to a therapist (For a Friend) a few weeks ago, and I described the feeling i have when a lot of people are around, it feels like my battery discharges at an alarming rate. When alone or just with my wife, my energy levels increase...

Thing is, we all have something in common here. If I spoke to anyone about Anderson hanging his gloves up then I'd just get a blank face. Okay we don't really talk about MMA in the off topic section or here but we share a common trait if we like watching fights etc. So it's understandable.
Yes there was some common ground that brought us all to SD. Many just don't prefer in person interactions though. I like the that I can start and stop a conversation here at anytime without any of that in person awkwardness. I can also say whatever I want without worrying about upsetting someone. Doing it all at work is an added benefit.

Talking to a therapist (For a Friend) a few weeks ago, and I described the feeling i have when a lot of people are around, it feels like my battery discharges at an alarming rate. When alone or just with my wife, my energy levels increase...

Good to hear the steps you were taking to stabilize your friend's situation.

Yes there was some common ground that brought us all to SD. Many just don't prefer in person interactions though. I like the that I can start and stop a conversation here at anytime without any of that in person awkwardness. I can also say whatever I want without worrying about upsetting someone. Doing it all at work is an added benefit.

Most people are stuck in the matrix, and don't have the self-awareness to not offend.

It helps to be accepting and forgiving during in-person interactions.

Before we weren't allowed to hang out with our friends I always wanted it on my terms rather than them texting to say they were in the area and to pop out for a beer so I guess in some respects I'm a bit of an introvert. I needed to kind of prepare myself a bit rather than a two minute warning. If I get enough warning I'm a chatterbox and completely relaxed, but yeah my post count here pretty much speaks for itself as well. Not just MMA, but sport in general I guess.

Most people are stuck in the matrix, and don't have the self-awareness to not offend.

It helps to be accepting and forgiving during in-person interactions.
I agree. I just find that it often prevents me from saying how I truly feel. I view it as somewhat of a fake interaction for the sake of being politically correct.

I agree. I just find that it often prevents me from saying how I truly feel. I view it as somewhat of a fake interaction for the sake of being politically correct.

Propping up the "tyranny of niceness" all for the sake of maintaining the pretenses of decorum.

It's okay to excuse yourself, even in mid-sentence. A lot of people are so narcissistic, that they will forget the disruption as soon as they find their next narcissistic supply, which can be as quick as them turning around and talking to the next person.

A mix of the two.
I like some lonely time doing sports, walking in the woods, etc.
That said, I like to work with people and feel lethargic if I'm working solo on a PC for instance.
In pure psychological terms, I'd probably categorised as extrovert, but culturally because I'm rather cold & reserved, I'd be interpreted as introvert. It's weird.

I manage large teams of people and sometimes I can be in constant communication throughout a workday, but it’d say I’m more inclined as an introvert. Days where I need to communicate a ton, when I get home I just want to be alone. I find superficial, service level communication to be rather pointless and I find it difficult to engage in these sort of conversations

Introvert to the point i'm putting introvert in the poll..

But not really.. i fear no social interactions and can easily have people dying from laughter or put on any mask necessary.. i'm friendly with everyone from ceo to my childhood friends with tattoed faces.. idgaf.. my job also requires me to be extroverted as i'm the face of our operation..

Thing is i turn it on in spurts when i feel like it or need to.. most of the time i just don't have that much to say and i've settled down so i'm not out chasing tail etc..

I manage large teams of people and sometimes I can be in constant communication throughout a workday, but it’d say I’m more inclined as an introvert. Days where I need to communicate a ton, when I get home I just want to be alone. I find superficial, service level communication to be rather pointless and I find it difficult to engage in these sort of conversations
Yeah I hear ya. I don't want to be on my own, but I don't want to chat with my other half loads when I get in and being he's been on his own all day he wants that interaction. With a lot of people at work I have to put on a bit of a persona. I just want to get home, put some comfy clothes on and watch cooking shows. He isn't OTT with it, but he does say "do you want me to shut up?" sometimes, and I never say yes, but for half an hour or so I just don't want to talk.

Before we weren't allowed to hang out with our friends I always wanted it on my terms rather than them texting to say they were in the area and to pop out for a beer so I guess in some respects I'm a bit of an introvert. I needed to kind of prepare myself a bit rather than a two minute warning. If I get enough warning I'm a chatterbox and completely relaxed, but yeah my post count here pretty much speaks for itself as well. Not just MMA, but sport in general I guess.

Is that really intovert or just valuing planning and scheduling?

Is that really intovert or just valuing planning and scheduling?
Bit of both mayhaps. Sometimes I have to psych myself up to see people if that makes any sense? Even close friends...maybe there might be a bit of social anxiety in there with the build up to going out. I'm fine when I'm there, it's just thinking about it does me in a bit. Not that it's a problem at the moment obviously.

Bit of both mayhaps. Sometimes I have to psych myself up to see people if that makes any sense? Even close friends...maybe there might be a bit of social anxiety in there with the build up to going out. I'm fine when I'm there, it's just thinking about it does me in a bit. Not that it's a problem at the moment obviously.

Does sound like social anxiety and yeah it does make sense. People can be a drag. Even friends, sometimes.
Sounds like you might put a bit too much pressure on yourself when preparing to meet friends/people. Like you said, when they're there or you're there, it's fine. So maybe remind yourself more of that in the moments you're feeling nervous about it and don't go over all the things that can or might happen, but just adopt the mindset that you'll handle whatever comes in your way and improvise when the time is there, because you know you can. I know you can.

Does sound like social anxiety and yeah it does make sense. People can be a drag. Even friends, sometimes.
Sounds like you might put a bit too much pressure on yourself when preparing to meet friends/people. Like you said, when they're there or you're there, it's fine. So maybe remind yourself more of that in the moments you're feeling nervous about it and don't go over all the things that can or might happen, but just adopt the mindset that you'll handle whatever comes in your way and improvise when the time is there, because you know you can. I know you can.
D'aww!! <Oku04>I'm actually okay in larger groups and don't wind myself up about it as much then. I used to even arrange beer get togethers before we were stopped from going out. It's more the one on ones because I guess with me not working for so long I worried maybe that I wouldn't have much to talk about. Only one friend I know I wouldn't feel like that with and he lives in flippin England!

I was a very shy child. Growing up in the middle of nowhere might have contributed to that. Once I played sports that started to change and by my senior year of High School I was voted "Friendliest".

I'm an extrovert now.

Back