Are You More Of A Fan Of New School Or Old School FIghters

Old school. Wand, Fedor, Shogun, GSP, Cro Cop, Sherk, Rampage, Randy, Chuck, Vitor, Tito, Overeem, Nog's, Gomi, Mir, AA, etc.

I do appreciate some new guys though. Cowboy, Bendo, Maynard....you know what, dude?

There are almost no new guys that I really like. IDK...

I enjoy fighters that come to finish and treat the sport as a fight which is more typical of the old school fighters. I don't hate all new school fighters but they are much harder to get behind for a number of reasons. I also like fighters from when I first started watching MMA so I can see why some people like newer fighters. I just hate fans that have to like whoever the best fighters are always. God that pisses me off / rant

any fighter who is more interested in putting on an entertaining fight than using positioning and "strategy" to win a decision, old school or new school, is someone i cheer for.

05-10 possibly best years in mma in my eyes.

I prefer the young lions but don't mind the old(Belfort, Andy, Hendo, Rampage, Shogun, Penn, etc.)

New school.

They fight more like MMA than street fighters.

But really? Who cares. Old school and New school both have and had exciting fighters.

old school fighters come to fight.

new school fighters come to "compete".

the answer is old school fighters, imo.
This..most of the new school fighters fight for points/to win a decision

Old school fighters come to fight/ko opponent

old school fighters come to fight.

new school fighters come to "compete".

the answer is old school fighters, imo.

By your reasoning alone, I like new school fighters.

Its a sport, not gladiatorial combat.

By your reasoning alone, I like new school fighters.

Its a sport, not gladiatorial combat.

At the end of the day it's a fight not passing a ball around. It's a sport but keyword is COMBAT sport.

Depends on the fighters. There some and old guys I love to see win/lose.

In terms of fighting - of course the new guys are better and more advanced, it's just the aura that still surround many of the old school guys that was so badass and special. Today everyone is about postures and turning MMA into an MTV-generation soap opera. Mainly in the US. Like in every business actually... I will always be a fan of old school MMA, win, lose or draw. These are the people that made me start training and these are the people that still motivate me. This was back in the day when this was a special sport, not a trend that people make shoes and video games about.

I'm down with fighters from both, but my all time fav's are oldschool.

fedor, overeem, mousasi, chael sonnen, Nick Diaz. I don't know whether they are all old school or not, but they are better than any new faces I have seen lately.

just throwing this out there.

the most boring fight ive ever watched was the marathon between ken shamrock and royce gracie.

lots of nothing happened.

part of me is still amazed that Rich Franklin beat Ken Shamrock

problem with old fighters is that they didnt make much money early on and now that they are too old, they still want the money.

I root for old school fighters. I think ill probably not watch as much MMA once GSP retires. Once he retires, that would mean most LHW stars will be gone, Anderson gone (leaving a pointless division), Nick diaz, Sonnen, Rampage/wand/Mir/nogs/overeem..etc. All retired or close to it by the time GSP is done.

I find most new guys unexciting to watch except for Pettis type guys.

problem with old fighters is that they didnt make much money early on and now that they are too old, they still want the money.

I root for old school fighters. I think ill probably not watch as much MMA once GSP retires. Once he retires, that would mean most LHW stars will be gone, Anderson gone (leaving a pointless division), Nick diaz, Sonnen, Rampage/wand/Mir/nogs/overeem..etc. All retired or close to it by the time GSP is done.

I find most new guys unexciting to watch except for Pettis type guys.

Glover TEixeira
Stefan Struve
Stipe Miocic
Todd Duffee
Gegard Mousasi
Feijao
Gustafsson
Tehuna
Jones
Lombard
Palhares
Weidman
Hendricks
Ellenberger
Pettis
Cerrone
Masvidal
Aldo
Korean Zombie
Ronda Rousey
Junior Dos Santos
Cain Velasquez
Pat Barry
Phil Davis
Lyoto Machida
Fabio Maldonado
Chris Spang
Erick Silva
Gunnar Nelson
Michael Mcdonald
Renan Barao
Francisco Rivera
Eddie Wineland
brad Pickett

people need to stop acting like there is a lack of exciting fighters. The truth is probably ten times as many exciting fighters as there once was. It's not the quality of fighters preventing you and other fans from embracing them. It's your inability to move on and the fact your nostalgia has blinded you to the old school fighters flaws.

It's strange how hard a time mma fans have moving on. Other sports fans embrace the younger cheaper, more exciting, and far more motivated fighters while many mma fans never let go and would prefer to watch a guy 5 years past his prime, and who hasn't put on a great fight in years.

Back