Are You More Of A Fan Of New School Or Old School FIghters

Where is the line drawn though? Is Anderson Silva old or new? Is Shogun old or new? Both have Vale Tudo and PrideFC background but won UFC gold. Is GSP old or new? He started his reign around 2006, over six years ago.

War Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Gomi, Rodrigo Nogueira, Rampage!

anderson and shogun are both obviously old school. gsp to me is the start of the new school.(just my opinion mind you) because he was one of the first fighters to specialize in nothing and be good at everything.

to me new school vs old school doesnt = boring vs exciting after all jones is obviously new school but is exciting and finishes same for velasquez. and then there are the the bc dolloways and the jake shields of the world that just arent that exciting despite their history in the sport.

It depends, I of course have my favorites, but I like guys that come to finish fights. Up and coming point fighters have saved me a lot of money from not buying ppvs.

It's always tough watching guys you've been following for several years lose. Old school for me.

I really don't care either way. I'm a fan of fighters who make a strong attempt to finish.

This. And even then I am a fan of some fighters who generally fight very cautiously, and I am not necessarily a fan of guys who just throw haymakers all day hoping for a KO. I like technical fighters with killer instinct. Fighters who try to finish their opponent and have killer instinct are my favorites.

anderson and shogun are both obviously old school. gsp to me is the start of the new school.(just my opinion mind you) because he was one of the first fighters to specialize in nothing and be good at everything.

to me new school vs old school doesnt = boring vs exciting after all jones is obviously new school but is exciting and finishes same for velasquez. and then there are the the bc dolloways and the jake shields of the world that just arent that exciting despite their history in the sport.

I hear what you are saying, but being good at everything to the point that you can safely use it in a fight is a rare thing. Even then, GSP tries his best not to strike with great strikers and not to grapple with great grapplers. he is well rounded enough not to rely on one aspect so he doesn't need to take those risks. I do agree though that the risk management attitude that he and Jackson brought to the game after the Serra loss was part of a new way of looking at what being a great "fighter" means.

Depends really. I'm a fan of guys who come to fight and put on good fights, doesn't matter if they are old school and new school. The only thing is "new school" is more watered down where guys are adapting to the trend of mma where point fighting is predominant. They win but they don't fight like the old school guys do. MMA as a whole has changed. So fighters coming up now will have a different mentality than the ones before.

I guess I just seem to lean towards the old school guys because a lot of the new guys don't really interest me in terms of their fighting style

Old School fighters have legendary personalities!

I like watching old school fighters fall to newer ones.

I definitely root for the old guard usually. But sadly that makes for depressing fandom because doesn't matter how good you are, you eventually are going to lose to time.

That being said, some fun fights to watch included:

Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia
Mark Coleman defeating Stephan Bonnar
Vladimir Matyushenko's IFL run
Big Nog beating Brendan Schaub
Dan Henderson winning the Strikeforce title

The old guard may start losing fights, but they usually always give us a few last gems before they depart.

I hear what you are saying, but being good at everything to the point that you can safely use it in a fight is a rare thing. Even then, GSP tries his best not to strike with great strikers and not to grapple with great grapplers. he is well rounded enough not to rely on one aspect so he doesn't need to take those risks. I do agree though that the risk management attitude that he and Jackson brought to the game after the Serra loss was part of a new way of looking at what being a great "fighter" means.

and i agree with you but to me thats the new school attitude incarnate. I.E. im a good wrestler but hes a great one ... lets strike, or im a competent striker but hes amazing time to shoot.

and yeah jacksons tutelage definitely has a way of making fighters fight more from a gameplan and less from sheer aggression which is great for their careers provided they can still draw a fanbase. and it doesnt effect every fighter i mean anyone that calls cerrone or sanchez a point fighter is crazy .... he did apparently ruin guida though lol.

It really depends on the individual fighters.

I loved watching Rory demolish BJ.

I hated watching Bones beating Page, Shogun n Machida.

Old school fighters>Actual fighters
Today they are all about the money. Too
many athletes and too few martial artists.

Old school all day, every day, for all the reasons given.

Where is the line drawn though? Is Anderson Silva old or new? Is Shogun old or new? Both have Vale Tudo and PrideFC background but won UFC gold. Is GSP old or new? He started his reign around 2006, over six years ago.

War Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Gomi, Rodrigo Nogueira, Rampage!

You can draw a line at 2005 after the first TUF finale: Those that made their mark before are old school, and those later are the new school. Admittedly, it's not definitive. MMA comes in vaguely defined waves and periods where trends and people come and go.

When I think old school I think: Shamrock, Gracie, Tank Abbott, Dan Severn.

Not as old school: Pedro Rizzo, Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz, Sakuraba

"Contemporary old school": Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Fedor, CroCop, GSP, Anderson, Shogun

New Breed: Jon Jones, JDS, Cain, etc.

Have fun with that.

Back