Are You More Of A Fan Of New School Or Old School FIghters

FightOrDie007

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you enjoy seeing the young up and coming new generation fighters beating down the veterans of the sport or do you prefer seeing the old guard win fights against the young fighters.

I don't like seeing old guys get beat up. Once guys pass their prime, I want them to leave. Very few guys should be in the Octagon after age 34.

Old School. But I agree somewhat with the poster above that they should retire when it's time to go but not right away when they start declining, that part is up to them when they've declined too much.

New School. I like seeing a passing of the torch and seeing new stars be made.

old school fighters come to fight.

new school fighters come to "compete".

the answer is old school fighters, imo.

Where is the line drawn though? Is Anderson Silva old or new? Is Shogun old or new? Both have Vale Tudo and PrideFC background but won UFC gold. Is GSP old or new? He started his reign around 2006, over six years ago.

War Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Gomi, Rodrigo Nogueira, Rampage!

old school fighters come to fight.

new school fighters come to "compete".

the answer is old school fighters, imo.

i kind of agree. not ALL new school fighters are coming to compete though. theres so killers and some boring guys just like there was in the old days.

guys like rory mac, Michael mac, barao and weidman are all exciting in different ways.

and what you have to remember is there's a lot more at stake in terms of win money, bonus's and sponsership these days. and dont talk shit like ''who gives a fuck, these guys should be giving the fans what they want seeing as its a spectator sport'' when in reality would you risk your job if someone who had never been in your shoes was giving you shit?

Where is the line drawn though? Is Anderson Silva old or new? Is Shogun old or new? Both have Vale Tudo and PrideFC background but won UFC gold. Is GSP old or new? He started his reign around 2006, over six years ago.

War Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Gomi, Rodrigo Nogueira, Rampage!

new school clearly being guys who are up and coming now.

I really don't care either way. I'm a fan of fighters who make a strong attempt to finish. Those tend to be the old school guys, but there are some new guys that do to and I get excited that they keep respect the sport and keep the spirit of fighting alive. I don't see how any MMA fan couldn't be a fan of a guy like Joe Lauzon.

Imo, if a fighter is going into the cage thinking of winning rounds instead of fighting with the sole intent of destroying the opponent (within reasonable safety rules) as if the opponent took his lunch money or slept with his girlfriend, then he's not going in with an attitude similar to a real fight and I don't respect it. Ya, it increases their odds of winning a decision to go for points, and some may be fine with that, but I don't respect it and it just moves even further away from the original ideas the sport was founded on. There's plenty of room for sportsmanship, especially after the fight, but that basic attitude of finishing should remain. That's my view.

old school attitude, new school brains and talent

i'm a fan of all fighters who attempt to win by finish in fights.

New school the sport is ever evolving that's what makes it so great.

new school.
the UFC single digit era was purely 1 dimentional,
pride was very 2 dimentional.
i think new we are seeing 3 dimentional fighters today

New school.
But it's hard to see the old school guys getting beat down.

Old School

These guys went for the kill, almost ALWAYS

New School fighters play the point system game, and it really makes watching a portion of fights lame..for example GSP, i wanna see this guy go for the kill, not fight so tentative

Old School guys fought to win, and New School Guys fight not to lose..that's a big reason the best of MMA is behind us imo

old guys. i love when the old "war horses" get the W. i think that's how most feel. you develop a sentiment for the guys you watch fight. that's why Nog/schaub and crocop/barry got some of the loudest ovations ever (brazil helped too)

: waits for users to start judging other users by their join date :

i think naturally you're going to pull for the generation of fighters that got you into the sport. but also, if you're a fan of sports than you know no one is superman, and that one day some young gun will replace them. so you gotta like both

Back