Are you happy StrikeForce is gone?

Yes and no. I enjoyed SF for many years as a good alternative to the UFC. They put on some classic bouts so i definitely will miss it, however i'm glad all (or most, anyways) the SF guys will be in the UFC now.

Yes and no. I enjoyed SF for many years as a good alternative to the UFC. They put on some classic bouts so i definitely will miss it, however i'm glad all (or most, anyways) the SF guys will be in the UFC now.

Strikeforce was great and good points made here. At least the top fighters from there are in the UFC now.

You're looking at this the wrong way. This isn't Wal-Mart pushing out the mom and pop store, this is the gourmet burger shop coming in town and stealing some of the tastier items off the menu from the Burger King or McDonald's. I wouldn't mind if they left the McDonald's there for a quick cheap fix, but I'm going to the gourmet shop for my meals.

I don't think you understand your own metaphor because the gourmet burger shops, let's say Five Guys, is not acquiring the McDonald's nor are they taking any of their products. They are simply offering a better burger at a higher price. So you can choose.

No one can choose SF or WEC or Pride anymore.

You're looking at this the wrong way. This isn't Wal-Mart pushing out the mom and pop store, this is the gourmet burger shop coming in town and stealing some of the tastier items off the menu from the Burger King or McDonald's. I wouldn't mind if they left the McDonald's there for a quick cheap fix, but I'm going to the gourmet shop for my meals.

Yeah, and for people who can't afford the gourmet place there's always the McDonalds/Walmarts of the world. There's always a market/money for a good idea.

didnt like the strikeforce bro culture tbh.. ufc is kind of dropping that aspect

Pre-Zuffa Strikeforce is what I miss. What an exciting organization that was doing something special.

I don't think you understand your own metaphor because the gourmet burger shops, let's say Five Guys, is not acquiring the McDonald's nor are they taking any of their products. They are simply offering a better burger at a higher price. So you can choose.

No one can choose SF or WEC or Pride anymore.

Well except, this Five Guys has free burger night once a month. So the poor people can eat it too. In fact there's 2 free burger nights this month! They wouldn't be able to do that if they didn't have so many good burgers though...

Thought it could have been kept as sort of a "minor league" for the UFC but eh, will be good to see some of the SF fighters in the UFC

Good to see more top fighters come to the UFC
Sad to see the organization go the way of IFL, WEC, EliteXC

First page post 2 and 3 have zuffa marketing written all over them. He copied and paste your post? Did somebody forget which account they were using for a second there? I wonder, is it like 4 guys with 100 accounts, or 10 guys with 40?

Anyways, the UFC has been putting together great cards. Strikeforce was great as an occasional alternative before the zuffa purchase. It's been gone for a while so nobody really cares.

Yeah. Preventing SF fighters from moving to the UFC was lame as hell. Coker overpaid the fighters and Showtime didn't really care about SF.

I think the deal with Showtime what really killed Strikeforce. Plus Coker is just too much of a "nice guy" to be in this business.

No. I like the idea of having a smaller org where the non-UFC-comforming guys (Marquadt, Babalu, Daley, Diaz...etc) have somewhere to go. Now where do they go?

No. I like the idea of having a smaller org where the non-UFC-comforming guys (Marquadt, Babalu, Daley, Diaz...etc) have somewhere to go. Now where do they go?

I am sorry to be blunt but if they can not make it to the big show maybe a change of career is in order. It happens to other sports too, example hockey players if they can not make it to NHL or if they are free agent and no team is going to pick them up where would they go?

Thought it could have been kept as sort of a "minor league" for the UFC but eh, will be good to see some of the SF fighters in the UFC
i thought it should have been run as a minor league too like the pre zuffa days. a shadow organisation where the ufc fighters that couldnt keep up with the current crop of fighters could go. the fighters like frank shamrock could retire in while still earning a bit of money or the fighters that had potential but were not quite ready for the ufc. a bit like big football clubs loaning out the up and coming stars to smaller clubs.
i think the ufc is a bit too cut throat at times with some fighters and strikeforce was a place those fighters could go and do what they love doing. not all the best fights to watch were in the ufc. i know cung le is now in the ufc but strikeforce was one place that he was able to show off his skills and strikeforce was the place he made his name.
r.ip. strikeforce. some of us will miss you

Hell Yeah. Chance to see guys like Jacare, Cormier, Melendez, and Mousasi against top level competition is something i have been hoping for the longest time.

I think StrikeForce screwed themselves over. They should have kept going as an exciting regional show instead of trying to compete with the UFC. The fighters are definitely hurt by the lack of options. For fans it's a give and take. Basically all the best together, but little hope of some guy coming out of "nowhere" to beat the champ. In general everyone can tell whether a fighter is a contender after one or two bouts in the UFC.

It would have been better for the fans and fighters if they would have closed their doors after Rousey/Kaufman. Actually, they've been going downhill since Zuffa took over.

I'm happy they are gone in the sense that we can get new promotion(s) on Showtime.

I am sorry to be blunt but if they can not make it to the big show maybe a change of career is in order. It happens to other sports too, example hockey players if they can not make it to NHL or if they are free agent and no team is going to pick them up where would they go?

Kurt Warner went to a Canadian Football league after getting canned. Fucker came back and holds lots of QB records and 2 or 3 Superbowls. No. Sometimes they are loaded with talent but Dana won't hire them because he does not like them, contract disputes or stupid stuff like test positive for mj.......

but who gives a shit about that? SF put on some great quality matchups and some great shows. That is all I care about.

What prospects are we supposed to get excited about if Zuffa eats up all other pro MMA orgs? The ones that the UFC put on their own reality show? So Zuffa has the final say in who's cut out to "make it" and who's not?

Where are fighters supposed to go and make a living post-UFC?

Will the UFC ever use a real ranking system to determine title challengers, and stop using popularity angles?

There are too many questions surrounding whether or not Zuffa's total and complete landscape domination of the sport will be a good or bad thing.

In a way, their intention of making their name brand so dominant would eventually hurt the sport itself.

It's like dreaming of starting a small, successful burger chain....but you can't because there is a McDonald's in town already.

There will always be ways for prospects to get noticed outside the UFC, and there will always be smaller promotions that try to test the champ brand. This is very early in MMA history.

Never watched it except for when fedor fought. Ufc has gotten a little stale lately, i only watch now when there is a compelling fight. Hopefully the sf recruits can add more interest.