Are you handy?

My brother in law...
6eRWuou.jpg
How the fook do you think to tie that like shoe laces?

I replaced a stuck light switch without getting shocked after watching a handful of youtube vids and not being able to find any of several breaker switches that turned off power to the bad light switch.

I replaced my PS3 laser rack after watching a handful of youtube vids.

I saw on the internet a broken Vornado can be fixed by replacing a fuse, so one of these days I will attempt to search google for the model # and specific fuse needed.

I'm becoming more and more handy since it's not so easy to get contractors out to the house to get shit done. It's almost as easy to just do it yourself, and it's definitely a whole lot cheaper. If we had decent contractors that were easy to schedule and show up, I'd just pay to have them do most of the stuff.

This thread clearly demonstrates why toxic masculinity is good

I can figure out how to do most things that need doing, whether or not I actually do them is a decision I make based on task and time. Ex, changing my own oil is super easy, but not worth my time to do compared to how much I pay someone else...Hell it should honestly be easier than ever to be handy now, anything you need to know how to do you can just google and find some dude on youtube showing you how its done. When I was growing up it took actual effort to learn something.

im decent. I've installed a garage door. Thats my claim to fame.

Im an electrician so it's not terrible, if I get tired of job sites I can go to service work which is not terrible most of the time.
That said I'm with you there bud, I'm thinking about getting out of it just because it's really hard on the body as you get older. What are you going to jump to?

Get a maintence gig. I’m an electrician too and I heard that from so many old guys, I went and did it.

I worked maintence at a previous mill which subbed everything out while we played on our phones. It’s perfect for an old guy but it’s also why I took my current job.

Where I’m at now, I was hired on as the lead hand electrician. The maintence foreman quit and I got the promotion. It’s the perfect combo for me. I like coordinating everything, I like spending time working with the boys and expanding my mechanical knowledge. It’s also good because I get to be on the floor too without doing anything too hard on me.

I get to keep busy without busting my ass basically and it’s perfect. There’s chainfalls and forklifts anyways.

There’s also teaching at a trade school when you’re old. It would be much easier than being in the trade with better hours and a chance to mentor young guys.

Yeah, I like working things out, with YouTube now there's very little reason to not do handyman shit yourself.

Recently I plumbed in some new radiators and I'm proud of that working out first go. Plumbing is fucking easy though.

I'm about as handy as the average woman but I can lift heavy stuff

My brother in law bought a new Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. We went to harbor freight to buy a tool cart for his new tools. He bought ratchet straps and I was watching him try to figure out how they work, securing the tool box in the truck bed, and he ended up using them like rope. Even had a nice little bow tie a the end. He tied it like you would your shoestrings. Had to show him how to use ratchet straps. These are very straight forward. There's not much to them. I never got trained nor did I even read the instructions.

I assumed every guy would be able to figure out how to use it just by looking at it.

6eRWuou.jpg

Some people shouldn't be around tools.

Every single time I use those ratchet straps I spend a few minutes figuring out how they work properly cause I forget everytime

But those straps are a PITA, took me a few tries to get them figured out.

I would say I'm very handy. My dad has a woodworking business and I've picked up on a ton of stuff.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but I can do most of the stuff that needs doing around the house to keep things operational. I can operate a screwdriver, a hammer, a pair of pliers, a wrench, a plunger & a few other kinds of tools but nothing too advanced or anything that needs to be plugged in to work ( other than a vacuum, LOL ). I know enough to realize when something is beyond my skill level & to call in an expert.

How is it possible for ratchet straps to confuse people? You can literally see the entire mechanism just by looking at it.

I can build a nice multi level deck, even make the plans for it and it will be well built to code.

I can’t really fix anything on my car though.

Thought title said 'Are you handsy', came in loaded for bear w/ some choice uber/lyft stories. I'll show myself out.
And not too handy, no. If Time-Life hasn't put out a series on how to do it, then I'm lost....

Back