Opinion Are you for or agiant the legalization of ALL drugs?

Are you for or agiant the legalization of ALL drugs?

• Total voters

mmafan2000

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bring this up because of Portland, Oregon where it's legal now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/04/election-drugs-oregon-new-jersey/

I was adamantly for the legalization of all drugs for a long time, but now I'm having second thoughts. My pro and con ideas are due to the following reasons:

PRO:
1. Drug dealers will be out of business overnight (I hoped)
2. Tax it and put money into treatment centers, education and infrastructure
3. The war on drugs is a failure
4. People are free to do what they want. Just because someone is addicted to sniffing glue, we are not going to ban all glue.

CON:

1. Will be harder to get, will have to go to disgusting, shady sources to get drugs. Simple minded people, weak willed people will have less easy access.
2. The government shouldn't be in the business of destruction, i.e. drugs, abortion, gambling, etc.
3. Drug dealers bribe politicians to keep it illegal. It's a good opportunity to find those politicians, bug them and get to the dealers. Then purge them all.
4. some drugs are just too harmful and fundamentally destructive.
5. People are stupid and need to be helped by the government.

I'm now stuck in the middle and can't decide. Can you help me pick one?

Why my change of heart:

1. I don't know if the pros and cons are legitimate.

2. My cousin got severely addicted and died from drugs. I don't know who to blame.

3. The behavior of Democrat leaders in Portland was despicable, a huge turn off to me due to the lawlessness, riots, looting and arson and wanton destruction. I will never forgive them. If legalizing all drugs comes from the same people as de fund the police, encourage illegal sanctuary cities and riots, I can't support it.

Against. Seen hard drugs destroy too many people to say we should lessen accountability.

And don't say "but Portugal." This is the USA I'm talking about. We are not responsible enough as a nation for it.
People will argue it'd make drug counseling easier,as if its difficult to get now.

Not for hard drugs. Otherwise i am.

I do believe most addicts need significantly better help and resources though.

For, in theory.

I am for people having sovereignty over their own body, but I also know not all people have the willpower and wherewithal to control their impulses and addictions.

If it proves to be successful in Oregon, my in theory will be changed to in practice.

Generally for, but I understand reasons people might be against.

I wouldn't be for without a robust drug rehabilitation program though, as people are known to abuse things if given the opportunity.

There's a difference between decriminalization and legalization. Oregon decriminalized the possession of all drugs. Which I am in favor of.

Good point as well. Would you then be in favor of legalization? Moving a step further? What cons would you be concerned about?

I think Oregon is actually the perfect place to test it. We'll see how it goes. I hope it goes well.

PRO:
1. Drug dealers will be out of business overnight (I hoped)
2. Tax it and put money into treatment centers, education and infrastructure
3. The war on drugs is a failure
4. People are free to do what they want. Just because someone is addicted to sniffing glue, we are not going to ban all glue.
I wholeheartedly agree with points 3 and 4.

1 and 2 would only be feasible if it were legalized which I don't agree with. I don't think we should allow for the legal sale of hard drugs and as a result have a tax on it.

Drug dealers will still exist because there won't be dispensaries for narcotics. it would be sold on the black market still.. the only difference now is that the police, court and prison systems won't be over burdened with arresting, prosecuting and housing felons like they were.

I wholeheartedly agree with points 3 and 4.

1 and 2 would only be feasible if it were legalized which I don't agree with. I don't think we should allow for the legal sale of hard drugs and as a result have a tax on it.

Drug dealers will still exist because there won't be dispensaries for narcotics. it would be sold on the black market still.. the only difference now is that the police, court and prison systems won't be over burdened with arresting, prosecuting and housing felons like they were.

Ok, fair enough. I submit to you that if it were legal, I think there would/could/ possibly should be government outlets. Like in Canada for example, where the alcohol stores sell government approved, multiple strands of weed. Who does it help? Society as a whole and mostly the poor. Because as you say, the systems wont' be over burdened with arrests, prosecuting and felony charges. So, theoretically if you are for 3 and 4, reason would allow you would agree with 1 and 2. I may be wrong, but I don't see how they aren't connected.

Generally for, but I understand reasons people might be against.

I wouldn't be for without a robust drug rehabilitation program though, as people are known to abuse things if given the opportunity.
I agree that if tax dollars were rerouted from arresting, prosecuting and housing them in prison, they should be diverted to rehabilitation programs. Of course, there's always the issue of leading a horse to water. Tough thing to do and I say that as a former addict myself.

That's why I honestly don't think any sort of decriminalization will move the meter much at all, I don't think it creates any more addicts than there already are; the idea that it will is nonsense. But the same time I don't know how effective adding rehabilitation programs are. I guess it would be nice to at least provide better options right away and hope for the best.

I'm against the legalization of all drugs but if you would have said marijuana, and possibly some psychedelics I would have said yes. I think at some point marijuana and mushrooms will both be pretty accepted in most if not all states.

Back