Are you for or against the UFC introducing straw weight & atom weight divisions?

Tell me about all the great male MMA fighters who could fight below 125...

I don't think they will go lower than 125.
It matches up well with the lightest divisions in most combat sports:
- Judo 60kg/132lbs
- Freestyle wrestling 57kg/125.5lbs
- Greco Roman wrestling 59kg/130lbs
- TKD 58kg/127.9lbs (for the Olympics, worlds has a lower division)
- Karate 60kg/132lbs

Boxing & some kickboxing organizations have weight divisions below 125 but some of those should be combined anyway.
Pro boxing has 105lbs, 108, 112, 115, 118, 122, 126 and 130. That is absurd.
Those 8 divisions should be cut in half.

edit: I agree with the heavyweight limit being removed or at least increased from 265.

Last edited:
It's not going to happen because the unified rules do not define any weight classes below flyweight. Zuffa would have to amend the unified rules and get them re-approved by every athletic commission in the world where they want to hold events. Also, the lighter weight classes don't generate audience and sales. It probably doesn't make sense from a business perspective to invest money in lighter weight classes.

Against, the cards are getting watered down as it is so adding enough fighters to the UFC roster to fill a couple of divisions would make that even worse.

As others have already said changing the current weight limits might be a reasonable compromise.

Sure. If they keep all WMMA fights and <155 on seperate cards. I want to see normal sized bros bang with eachother. Not manlets and women.

Massively against.
Flyweights aren't a massive draw for the UFC, hence MM is only just about to headline his first PPV as champion and he's regarded as a top p4p fighter. So I don't see them making a new division that has maybe 6 fighters in it, and expecting it garner any interest.

Too many fighters no one cares about as it is. Adding even more divisions is foolish.

I would have preferred the introduction of a mens straw weight division to a womens bantamweight division but thats neither here nor there. I'd favour the introduction in a couple of years time but allow flyweight to become a little more solidified first. Not sure about a 105 class though...

Massively against.
Flyweights aren't a massive draw for the UFC, hence MM is only just about to headline his first PPV as champion and he's regarded as a top p4p fighter. So I don't see them making a new division that has maybe 6 fighters in it, and expecting it garner any interest.

It wasn't all that long ago that lightweight was seen as too shallow a division to introduce to the UFC. 6 or so years later and its often quoted as the best division; in a few years people will care more about flyweight.

i dont think it would be a good idea for the ufc right now,honestly.

i'm ok with it. it will allow more opportunities for smaller size dudes to compete in the ufc especially muay thai fighters from thailand that have an interest in migrating over to mma.

i didn't know they had those divisions in mens mma.

I'd love them to bring that for the WMMA

It wasn't all that long ago that lightweight was seen as too shallow a division to introduce to the UFC. 6 or so years later and its often quoted as the best division; in a few years people will care more about flyweight.

That's not even remotely the same. The UFC was still getting settled back then, so adding a weight class for the size of the average male was only natural.

How many adult males have you met who are 5'2 and weigh 120 lbs?

Back