Are you for or against the UFC introducing straw weight & atom weight divisions?

For the Women: Do want, and if you have seen their fights in Invicta you know exactly why.

For the Men: If they open up more Asian and Central/South American markets then those will be fantastic divisions. But as of now, nope.
This all the way.

Neither, I guess. I'm not bursting at the seams with excitement about these divisions but I wouldn't turn the TV while they're on.

For the Women: Do want, and if you have seen their fights in Invicta you know exactly why.

For the Men: If they open up more Asian and Central/South American markets then those will be fantastic divisions. But as of now, nope.

this is the post I came to post, but you wrote it out a lot better than I could have.

Nice one mate

Right now two for women's is plenty 115 and 135 are pretty deep but if you add 105 or 125 you spread it too thin, there isn't enough talent to make that work.

125 is small enough, 115 would be a pain to work with and there is not any demand or talent in that division at all.

UFC won't be adding anymore divisions for several years, men's or women's. There just isn't enough talent.

Stupid thread. There is next to no talent at 115 and I don't even think a men's 105 division exists. The flyweight division was built on the regional level and bolstered by top 135ers such as DJ and Benavidez dropping down. There is nothing like that in place for 115/105.

If we get like 4 more right class we have title fights more often and can keep more higher quality fighters by thinning down the ranks.

Right now two for women's is plenty 115 and 135 are pretty deep but if you add 105 or 125 you spread it too thin, there isn't enough talent to make that work.

125 is small enough, 115 would be a pain to work with and there is not any demand or talent in that division at all.

UFC won't be adding anymore divisions for several years, men's or women's. There just isn't enough talent.

They ARE addind the womens strawweight division as we speak. And I just stated another thread about adding a men cruiserweight division.

Not familiar with MMA in India and SE Asia, but if it's quality then sure. I don't want them littering PPV cards with those fights, but working them in wouldn't be much different than now.

For women, I'm pretty excited for the next TUF women's season. From what I've seen, those girls are head and shoulders more entertaining and technically-sound than the dogshit that mostly occupied the first women's season.

Please, god. No more smaller divisions or anymore divisions for that matter.

It will only be realistic if they can get a a beyond-elite, badass as humanly possible talent pool from Chinca, japan, Thailand, the Phillipines, Russia, Eastern Europe, Mexico, Brazil and Columbia. Otherwise, I don't see how it would make sense from as a financial investment.

It will only be realistic if they can get a a beyond-elite, badass as humanly possible talent pool from Chinca, japan, Thailand, the Phillipines, Russia, Eastern Europe, Mexico, Brazil and Columbia. Otherwise, I don't see how it would make sense from as a financial investment.

Well despite his large fanbase on Sherdog, nobody really gives a shit about Demetrious Johnson in the real world. If they'd had some ruthless killer as champ, it could've only helped.

A lot of people resistant to 125 and 135 saw Johnson and Cruz' fighting styles and said no thanks to those whole divisions. Meanwhile, the divisions are filled with very exciting, killer instinct dudes. A lot of people watch only UFC because they don't have time to scope out lesser-known promotions, and they want to see the best in the world because UFC's roster is so deep. This led to people looking at the prominent fighter in these new lesser-known divisions and jumping to false conclusions. I mean no one in their right mind could call Faber's fights boring point-fighting. It's just not true.

I'm still pissed about the bullshit stoppage with Faber and Barao, and while he's probably never going to be a household name, I think if Renan keeps finishing dudes in great fashion, he'll be a great help in continuing these divisions' successful assimilation.

Well despite his large fanbase on Sherdog, nobody really gives a shit about Demetrious Johnson in the real world. If they'd had some ruthless killer as champ, it could've only helped.

A lot of people resistant to 125 and 135 saw Johnson and Cruz' fighting styles and said no thanks to those whole divisions. Meanwhile, the divisions are filled with very exciting, killer instinct dudes. A lot of people watch only UFC because they don't have time to scope out lesser-known promotions, and they want to see the best in the world because UFC's roster is so deep. This led to people looking at the prominent fighter in these new lesser-known divisions and jumping to false conclusions. I mean no one in their right mind could call Faber's fights boring point-fighting. It's just not true.

I'm still pissed about the bullshit stoppage with Faber and Barao, and while he's probably never going to be a household name, I think if Renan keeps finishing dudes in great fashion, he'll be a great help in continuing these divisions' successful assimilation.

Barao's only real barrier to mainstream American fame is the the nationality and language barrier. If he did not have that he would be way more recognizable given his success in the UFC thus far and his absolutely ridiculous winning streak. I think they can make the killers more visible at 135 and 125 as well as in the lower weight classes.

As for Johnson, I think the MMA community may not have really cared at one point but he has shown the potential to change that rather quickly and show that his weight class can also become productive for the UFC too. Hell, Johnson's last fight suggested he could establish himself as a sort of killer for fans to watch out for; before that fight noone had ever really gone in looking to bang with Joe like that and come out on top like he did. You are right thought that at all weights 135 and lower they will need more killers from around the world, not just for straw weight and atom weight fighters.

As for Cruz, he could become obsolete anyway. he does not seem to have the ability to stay healthy long enough to remain relevant and if he ever fights again he will be most likely be in too poor of a condition to remain on top and so other killers will fill that void as well and bring even more attention to the lowest weight classes.

BTW, has Dominick Cruz just given up on trying to pretned like he can keep himself in fighting condition and just retired already? He should have just retired after his supposed groin injury cost us the title match with Barao again.

No thanks, I have no interest in seeing 4"9 fighters.

No. At least not yet. They will have to cut more well known fighters to make room for the unknown fighters. Top 15 may no longer exist and only top 10 remains. That means the divisions won't be as deep.

For Men's i can see them go as low as strawweight. Below 115 there really isn't a lot of competition. For Women i can see them doing it.

those weightclass won't headline any PPV card, but I'm not against it though.

Flyweights are like child-sized as it is.

How much smaller can people get??

Back