Are you confused as to why people call MMA fighters C level athletes? Get in here.

I am not confused at all, only person who seems confused here is you. You criticized the sport of mma for being a inferior sport because Jimi Manuwa picked up the sport late in his life rather than in his 20s.....and it took him nearly a decade to reach a top 5 level. You make it seem like he just walked into mma and instantly became a elite fighter.....took nearly 10 year buddy.

I dont think you understand mma very well. MMA is a sport that is very different than boxing, basketball, football etc because fighters that have one strong background in wrestling, bjj or striking can have quick success as those disciplines are very critical in mma. MMA is the only sport where a high level from different sports carries over. Fighters like Jacare Souza, Daniel Cormier, and Damian Maia had immediate success in mma because of their background in bjj and wrestling. That is the equivalent of boxers having amateur backgorund in boxing before going pro.....it all counts towards training because they are using and adapting those skills. Daniel Cormier didnt walk in to mma in 2009 as a amateur, it was his first fight but he already had 8+ years of training in wrestling that carries over.

it's different in that CM punk was on a PPV in his first fight.

Give a top basketball/football/soccer player 3 years to train MMA.

Now give a top MMA player 3 years to train for basketball/football/soccer.

Which one is more likely to end up in a top organization in that short amount of time?

trick question.

the football player, because it already happened (brock lesnar)

so you're saying all you need is an amateur wrestling background to be a champion in mma?

also, LOL AT ROSHALT NOT BEING GOOD IN COLLEGE.

No, I am saying its a important aspect to have but there are other factors that count as well. Athleticism, strength, overall skills, and ability to adapt to mma. Lesnar had all those qualities and thats why he was a success...Rosholt clearly did not. No one said Rosholt wasnt good in NCAA....I say he just wasnt as good of a fighter as Lesnar. In addition, I made the point (if you read it) that a big part of Lesnars success was the fact he was a HW and he had a size and strength edge. I pointed out that guys coming into the sport in divisions where fighters weigh in the same weight and are similar in size wont be able to do what Lesnar did.

also @kflo, consider this

Butterbean was a known can crusher in boxing who knocked out bums literally all of the time.

a 40 plus butterbean bested cabbage in MMA as well as James Thompson in MMA who were both veterans of MMA.

A younger butterbean fought a 50 year old larry holmes in boxing and lost

Can butterbean crushed cans in mma. Congrats. That he gained fame in boxing is a bit of a strike against boxing.

So the only comparison is boxing and kickboxing and that's how you determine a level sport?? Are you slow?

what is a "level sport".

you seem to think football is just as comparable to boxing as MMA or kickboxing. Yet you're calling someone else slow?

No, I am saying its a important aspect to have but there are other factors that count as well. Athleticism, strength, overall skills, and ability to adapt to mma. Lesnar had all those qualities and thats why he was a success...Rosholt clearly did not. No one said Rosholt wasnt good in NCAA....I say he just wasnt as good of a fighter as Lesnar. In addition, I made the point (if you read it) that a big part of Lesnars success was the fact he was a HW and he had a size and strength edge. I pointed out that guys coming into the sport in divisions where fighters weigh in the same weight and are similar in size wont be able to do what Lesnar did.

okay, so all you need is size to do well in mma? got it

cain is very good . if he wasn't injured so much he could have been even more of a powerhouse. speaks to his skill that he was champ even as an under sized 6'1" heavyweight even lhw might be bigger.

Can butterbean crushed cans in mma. Congrats. That he gained fame in boxing is a bit of a strike against boxing.

butterbean never beat a well established boxer. he beat a few established mma fighters, in his 40's. when he stepped up to face a sagged up 50 year old boxer who was actually good, he lost.

Don't feed the troll.

I can see you are confused, but in elite sports like Football that just doesn't happen. If you are older than 16 years old and doesn't have a contract signed it is already too late

So what, are we insulting the quality of athletes in MMA due to small talent pool?

While the depth of talent pool difference between the two sports (MMA and soccer) is night and day I don't think soccer players can talk much here. That 28 year old hobbyist weightlifter would easily handle any soccer player, all who would face severe physical disadvantages against any LHW opponent.

What all those soccer players were selected for, what "athletic traits" helped them rise to the top, are irrelevant here.

If you want to devolve into an "athleticism" wank fest then fine but fact is the physical requirements of MMA produce a far more impressive specimen than what kicking a ball around (and numerous other sports besides) produce.

romero-intense.jpg

This man could have his way with all the soccer and ball players, their "deep talent pool athleticism" doesn't compare to "Cuban wrestling beast".

butterbean never beat a well established boxer. he beat a few established mma fighters, in his 40's. when he stepped up to face a sagged up 50 year old boxer who was actually good, he lost.
And he would have lost to old good mma fighters as well. Let him fight couture too.

what is a "level sport".

you seem to think football is just as comparable to boxing as MMA or kickboxing. Yet you're calling someone else slow?
Did I need to capitalize A for you genius?

Your retarded premise is that if you can succeed in a sport with little experience it can't be an A level sport.

couture was ko'd by a pro wrestler

He was beat by a elite amateur wrestler / mma fighter who would also destroy butterbean. And couture of course would also destroy butterbean.

Did I need to capitalize A for you genius?

Your retarded premise is that if you can succeed in a sport with little experience it can't be an A level sport.

I don't think it's a retarded premise, it's a pretty easy premise to understand and it is also pretty reliable

He was beat by a elite amateur wrestler / mma fighter who would also destroy butterbean. And couture of course would also destroy butterbean.

so all you need is to be an elite amateur wrestler to have success in mma against a guy with years more experience? got it

I don't think it's a retarded premise, it's a pretty easy premise to understand and it is also pretty reliable
Again your conclusion is that the NFL does not have elite athletes. So it's a retarded premise.

so all you need is to be an elite amateur wrestler to have success in mma against a guy with years more experience? got it

No retard. That's not all you need.

Again your conclusion is that the NFL does not have elite athletes. So it's a retarded premise.

who said nfl doesnt have elite athletes? they clearly do.

Back