Are you confused as to why people call MMA fighters C level athletes? Get in here.

than why isn't Jared Rosalt a champion?

also, you realize lesnar came into mma with no striking training or submission training, and he was also well over a decade removed from collegiate wrestling.

also james toney should have never been sanctioned in MMA and if was ten years younger and trained like lesnar he'd have held the belt at least once.

I dont know...maybe Jared Rosholt just wasnt that good. Maybe for the same reason guys like Antoni Hardonk and Pat Barry didnt have the same success as other experienced kick boxers like Cro Cop did. They all just didnt have the same talent.

Actually, Lesnar won the NCAA tourny in 2000 and started in mma in 2007 as his first fight. So I dont know where you're getting well over a decade from? And I dont know what the time off has to do with anything, those are skills he developed and never left him. And that goes back to my point that being a athletic HW and a fighter with such a strong wrestling background is the reason why he had success. Combination of both.

He was a national champion wrestler. You're aware of that, right?

he was a national champion wrestler who was almost a decade removed from competition.

he also had 0 striking experience of submission experience.

you're aware of that right?

I dont know...maybe Jared Rosholt just wasnt that good. Maybe for the same reason guys like Antoni Hardonk and Pat Barry didnt have the same success as other experienced kick boxers like Cro Cop did. They all just didnt have the same talent.

Actually, Lesnar won the NCAA tourny in 2000 and started in mma in 2007 as his first fight. So I dont know where you're getting well over a decade from? And I dont know what the time off has to do with anything, those are skills he developed and never left him. And that goes back to my point that being a athletic HW and a fighter with such a strong wrestling background is the reason why he had success. Combination of both.

so you're saying all you need is an amateur wrestling background to be a champion in mma?

also, LOL AT ROSHALT NOT BEING GOOD IN COLLEGE.

yes, it is possible to determine it couldnt happen, because those guys do try boxing, they just end up getting knocked out in the clubs before they make it to the big show.
But if the guys who aren't consistent aren't allowed to fight the top guys who are, then how can we know it's impossible for them to score a "fluke" win if they were allowed?

he was a national champion wrestler who was almost a decade removed from competition.

he also had 0 striking experience of submission experience.

you're aware of that right?

He was only out of college 6 years when he started training mma. He trained striking and submissions for a few years before winning the title.

Again it happens in football. I guess they are shitty athletes.

But if the guys who aren't consistent aren't allowed to fight the top guys who are, then how can we know it's impossible for them to score a "fluke" win if they were allowed?

Because A level sports don't have freakshow fights

He was only out of college 6 years when he started training mma. He trained striking and submissions for a few years before winning the title.

Again it happens in football. I guess they are shitty athletes.

football is a team sport.

"a few years"

as if that makes it any better.

does a WWE wrestler winning a title in MMA not say ANYTHING about the athletic capabilities of fighters?

nothing at all?

You don't have a realistic accurate analysis of the athletic abilities of the WWE wrestlers.

What level athlete is this?

football is a team sport.

"a few years"

as if that makes it any better.

It does. So what football is a team sport? you have players playing at an elite level with little high level experience or training.

So you are only comparing to other individual sports? Lol.

its not like lesnar is the norm, the guy is a freak athlete. and besides, he got his fucking ass beat by cain.

It does. So what football is a team sport? you have players playing at an elite level with little high level experience or training.

So you are only comparing to other individual sports? Lol.

why would I compare an invidual sport to a team sport? Boxing, kickboxing, and mma clearly have more similarities than boxing and soccer, no?

Because A level sports don't have freakshow fights

You're obviously not very smart.

And lol at the idea that boxing would never allow for a fight with an mma fighter. Lol.

why would I compare an invidual sport to a team sport? Boxing, kickboxing, and mma clearly have more similarities than boxing and soccer, no?

So the only comparison is boxing and kickboxing and that's how you determine a level sport?? Are you slow?

I can see you are confused, but in elite sports like Football that just doesn't happen. If you are older than 16 years old and doesn't have a contract signed it is already too late

I am not confused at all, only person who seems confused here is you. You criticized the sport of mma for being a inferior sport because Jimi Manuwa picked up the sport late in his life rather than in his 20s.....and it took him nearly a decade to reach a top 5 level. You make it seem like he just walked into mma and instantly became a elite fighter.....took nearly 10 year buddy.

I dont think you understand mma very well. MMA is a sport that is very different than boxing, basketball, football etc because fighters that have one strong background in wrestling, bjj or striking can have quick success as those disciplines are very critical in mma. MMA is the only sport where a high level from different sports carries over. Fighters like Jacare Souza, Daniel Cormier, and Damian Maia had immediate success in mma because of their background in bjj and wrestling. That is the equivalent of boxers having amateur backgorund in boxing before going pro.....it all counts towards training because they are using and adapting those skills. Daniel Cormier didnt walk in to mma in 2009 as a amateur, it was his first fight but he already had 8+ years of training in wrestling that carries over.

Let me ask you, does the fact that players can succeed in the NFL with little training exclude it as an a level sport? Thx for playing.

also @kflo, consider this

Butterbean was a known can crusher in boxing who knocked out bums literally all of the time.

a 40 plus butterbean bested cabbage in MMA as well as James Thompson in MMA who were both veterans of MMA.

A younger butterbean fought a 50 year old larry holmes in boxing and lost

Give a top basketball/football/soccer player 3 years to train MMA.

Now give a top MMA player 3 years to train for basketball/football/soccer.

Which one is more likely to end up in a top organization in that short amount of time?

Don't think anyone will pick the MMA fighter.

Back