Are you always a quitter if you have a submission loss?

I think it’s a bit ironic how everyone is fine with tapping to subs but will bash a fighter for tapping to strikes. It’s a lot better to go unconscious from a choke than it is to keep eating punches you can’t defend anymore. For the record I would tap to either.

In your eyes?

Or does it depend?

In my opinion, there is no shame in tapping out. It takes a great deal of mental strength to decide you want out.

Standard dumb thread. Has OP ever actually rolled/grappled before?

Tapping out = acknowledging that you can't win and/or are in an irredeemable position and opting not to take unnecessary long lasting damage. The fact that this is even a topic for discussion is embarrassing.

I must admit I think some of these "tough it out" escapes we see are a little bit fake, a fighter hasn't really escaped the submission he's just exploited that an opponent doesn't actually want to injury him.

If you tap you are 100% a quitter by definition, however there is nothing wrong with quitting at times based on context. quitting is the smartest thing you can do if its clear you are going to lose the fight and want to avoid potential injury's such as having your arm broken. The term Quitter just has a bad connotation when it doesn't always need to.

Fuck no. Sustain a career ending injury and still lose or lose and continue your career. One is intelligent, the other is fucking stupid.

And so is your thread.

if you dont tap to a deep choke you're stupid, no way you get out in time

I think its possible that sometimes people tap to pain where they might be able to continue like vitors armbar on jones, its obviously hard to tell from the outside though

Royce was willing to let Hughes break his arm and Big Nog did just that in the second Mir fight. It's really weird that these guys would let the ego get the better of them rather than admit they lost to a better fighter.

Big nog still tapped once it broke, sometimes you get to a point of no return with a sub, you literally wait til the last second and then its snap city, other times youre able to get out of it.

People just use the "he's a quitter for tapping" to bash select fighters they hate. Only idiots believe it's true for everyone.

There's a will to win... and there's delusion and stupidity. There's a reason for tapping.

setembro_thumb.jpg

holy fuck lmao

Big nog still tapped once it broke, sometimes you get to a point of no return with a sub, you literally wait til the last second and then its snap city, other times youre able to get out of it.
And Frank has a rep for trying to break people's arms so maybe he was the prick LOL.

It doesn't make you a quitter.
What it does is make you a whole hell of a lot smarter then the dumbass who decides to go to sleep.
Even though getting choked doesn't hurt or damage you, there is just no reason whatsoever to not tap.
At least not an intelligent reason.

In your eyes?

Or does it depend?

In my opinion, there is no shame in tapping out. It takes a great deal of mental strength to decide you want out.
Lol. I see right through you. Conor gave his back and quit. Deal with it.

Judo was my first grappling MA. For most people the first time you get osoto gari'd full force is the last time you show up for randori. I imagine for most Sherdoggers it would go exactly like that chubby reporter Ronda, a 135 lb woman, threw once and the dude just laid there crying.
Hey nobody mess with this guy {<jordan}

It's getting bested and moving on to fight another day without major injury. Tapping is not quitting, it's acknowledging defeat while preserving your career.

Quitting is giving up and looking for easy way out of the fight -- see Nick Serra vs Matt Makowski for what that looks like.

Back