Are you always a quitter if you have a submission loss?

same but for me it was wrestling in high school

everybody thought it was cool to slam dudes

they come in, get Double'd once and never show up again
Was it cool for you to slam dudes in high school? Or was it cooler when the whole team slammed each other?

Not in my eyes. Chokes aside, its kind of fucked to force your opponent to seriously injure you because you never tap. You're just exploiting your opponent's mercy at that point.

You have never had someone yank your limb backwards have you? If it's locked in right then you have no choice.

In your eyes?

Or does it depend?

In my opinion, there is no shame in tapping out. It takes a great deal of mental strength to decide you want out.

Submitting isn't generally synonymous with quiting, and neither is tapping to strikes, for that matter. Tapping is often simply acknowledging that you've been bested and, more often than not, saving your own health and well-being from unnecessary damage in an already lost cause.

Quiting is when you've not yet been bested, you still have not exhausted your efforts or possibilities for turning the fight around, but decide that you'd rather just call it a day.

Some guys even quit and manage to coast it out for a decision loss.

Quitting in a fight is no different than quitting in life. It's when you stop doing all you have in your power in trying to overcome. It's not when you've been overcome and rendered powerless and acknowledge that you need assistance and mercy.

Judo was my first grappling MA. For most people the first time you get osoto gari'd full force is the last time you show up for randori. I imagine for most Sherdoggers it would go exactly like that chubby reporter Ronda, a 135 lb woman, threw once and the dude just laid there crying.

haha yeah dude. judo is a tough sport. i sustained my first injury from a bad fall. and the amount of times that you accidentally crush your balls during a side break fall sucks. i definitely skipped more judo classes than bjj classes. judo is more savage than people know.

Tap-Snap-Or-Nap.jpg

Let’s take an armbar for example....

Tap and save your arm/elbow from being unusable for months on end, continuing with your life and being able to train and fix the problem that you got you into an armbar...

OR

Not tapping and getting your arm broke, elbow dislocated and ligament damage, plus not being able to train??

Hmmmm. You decide.

234EA0FA-CCA6-451B-96D9-6564AD29B4F8.png

Fuck, its fine to tap as long as it is to prevent grievous injury.
If you are in a kneebar or Heel hook and do not want an injury that will probably fuck your leg up for the rest of your life and career and seriously impact your ability to fight at high level again, you tap.

No your not quitting its just a smart move because you dont want something broken or being out cold.

Live to fight another day. Getting subbed isn't admitting the other person is a better fighter...just better than you that day.

No, go to do some BJJ and see how far that don't quit shit gets ya.

Anyone who thinks that can automatically be discounted and ignored. You need perspective to be an intelligent fan.

Royce was willing to let Hughes break his arm and Big Nog did just that in the second Mir fight. It's really weird that these guys would let the ego get the better of them rather than admit they lost to a better fighter.
It´s coz back in the days, in the Vale Tudo ol´tradition, an injury like this potential one didnt automatically mean the end of the fight...They would sometimes keep on fightin´with dislocated things...

Tapping when the sub is locked in is one thing.

Example: MJ vs Khabib. His arm was going to snap if he didn't tap right then and there. There was no point in continuing.

Letting a guy lock a submission on you so that you can tap is another.

Example: McGregor vs Diaz 1. Diaz was in full mount and instead of bucking his hips and trying to get out, Conor just rolled over and let Nate flatten him out and lock in a RNC. He didn't want to endure any more GNP so he just rolled over and let himself get choked instead.

Tapping is quitting.

But that doesn't mean sometimes you shouldn't tap. But lets call it like it is

Veiled defense of Connor.

His tap was legit.

His loss to Nate was a humiliating chain of events, proving Conor could not strike with Nate “that day” and panicked in the cage, leading to the tap.

That is what this thread is about.
Well, you're the first one to bring him up.

Irrational hatred gets you nowhere bro.

If you gont even try to stop the submission and just leave your neck, yeah you are a quitter.

Veiled defense of Connor.

His tap was legit.

His loss to Nate was a humiliating chain of events, proving Conor could not strike with Nate “that day” and panicked in the cage, leading to the tap.

That is what this thread is about.
Humiliating is getting tapped in a minute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back