Are you a Vegan or Vegetarian? or would like to be one?

Are you a Vegan or Vegetarian? or would like to be one?

• Total voters
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegan-vs-vegetarian

What Is a Vegetarian Diet?

According to the Vegetarian Society, a vegetarian is someone who does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or by-products of animal slaughter.

Vegetarian diets contain various levels of fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses, nuts and seeds. The inclusion of dairy and eggs depends on the type of diet you follow.

The most common types of vegetarians include:

• Lacto-ovo vegetarians: Vegetarians who avoid all animal flesh, but do consume dairy and egg products.
  • Lacto vegetarians: Vegetarians who avoid animal flesh and eggs, but do consume dairy products.
  • Ovo vegetarians: Vegetarians who avoid all animal products except eggs.
  • Vegans: Vegetarians who avoid all animal and animal-derived products.
Those who do not eat meat or poultry but do consume fish are considered pescatarians, whereas part-time vegetarians are often referred to as flexitarians.

Although sometimes considered vegetarians, pescatarians and flexitarians do eat animal flesh. Therefore, they do not technically fall under the definition of vegetarianism.

What Is a Vegan Diet?

A vegan diet can be viewed as the strictest form of vegetarianism.

Veganism is currently defined by the Vegan Society as a way of living that attempts to exclude all forms of animal exploitation and cruelty as much as possible.

This includes exploitation for food and any other purpose.

Therefore, a vegan diet not only excludes animal flesh, but also dairy, eggs and animal-derived ingredients. These include gelatin, honey, carmine, pepsin, shellac, albumin, whey, casein and some forms of vitamin D3.

Vegetarians and vegans often avoid eating animal products for similar reasons. The largest difference is the degree to which they consider animal products acceptable.

For instance, both vegans and vegetarians may exclude meat from their diets for health or environmental reasons.

However, vegans also choose to avoid all animal by-products because they believe this has the largest impact on their health and the environment.

In terms of ethics, vegetarians are opposed to killing animals for food, but consider it acceptable to consume animal by-products such as milk and eggs, as long as the animals are kept in adequate conditions.

On the other hand, vegans believe that animals have a right to be free from human use, be it for food, clothing, science or entertainment.

Thus, they seek to exclude all animal by-products, regardless of the conditions in which animals are bred or housed.

The desire to avoid all forms of animal exploitation is why vegans choose to forgo dairy and eggs — products that many vegetarians have no problem consuming.

I was a vegetarian and then a vegan for several months. Lost weight and got into better shape. Within the last month, I've slipped back into eating meat, fish and dairy again. I doubt I will vote in the poll. I think my general objective is to eat pretty clean, but still have some diversified protein, especially fish.

Ish.

I'm a veggie who doesn't eat dairy, but I intend to keep my own chickens and will have no issues with gobbling up their menstruation.

I'm not vegan, because I have a cat and dog, and they eat meat, obviously. I also don't think eating meat is 'wrong'. I'm certainly a natural carnivore (I appreciate everyone is, but I've known plenty of people who are vegetarian simply because they don't like meat), and do miss meat. Seafood in particular.

Nope, also a deal breaker if a girl is one. I eat chicken almost daily. But yeah no pork or beef from time to time would be miserable.

Vegan/Vegetarian is an unnatural way of eating. I've read that having a diet that is high on plant fiber will destroy your digestive system in the long run. Vegetarians/Vegans will eventually need medication just to pass stool.
Oh that’s bull. I went vegetarian at 11 years old, so 18 years now. I’ve had no problems at all with using the bathroom, or with my digestive system.

Vegan/Vegetarian is an unnatural way of eating. I've read that having a diet that is high on plant fiber will destroy your digestive system in the long run. Vegetarians/Vegans will eventually need medication just to pass stool.

Absolute twaddle.

Anyway, surely drinking the milk that another animal produces for its young is unnatural? Not that I believe that's the same as saying it's wrong, mind.

I could do it. I cook meatless dinners all the time. No desire to though.

No I like meat too much.

But for health I think I should pick a couple days a week to go only veggies.

I could probably live without red meat but couldn’t give up chicken/turkey as that is the bulk of my diet.

I eat meat daily and Im healthy but down the line I do want some vegetarian only days.

But forget about being Vegan though that seems like an unnecessary extreme to me. Guaranteed way to be deficient on nutrients

On and off vegetarian but...I do better with something that is more in line with a flexible approach towards raw foods while reducing meat consumption. Problem with vegan/vegetarian is the fact that it is way to EASY to fuck it up because of cookies, pastry, soft drinks, beer, snacks, chips and etc....

Meanwhile, if you are mostly raw in regards fruits, nuts, dates, honey and vegetables, you tend to operate much better in respect to digestion. Every now and then I throw some starch and protein.

im closer to a vegetarian except for the fact that I workout and I'm not trynna lose my gainz. So i eat a lotta fish.

Back