Are You a Casual or Hardcore MMA Fan?

Are you a casual or hardcore MMA fan?

• Total voters
I stopped watching MMA completely when Sage Northcutt showed up in the UFC and everyone on sherdog started acting really weird.

My vote: hardcore/casual
From 2006 till WME hardcore. Every fight card, everytime in the middle of the night in my region.
Fighting in MMA, the different styles, the different game plans, that will always have my attention. I love that shit!
But for the UFC? Not anymore. Titles mean almost nothing, because not the best fighters get the shots, but the fighters who may bring more money.
The pink goof was always a scumbag but at last he seems to get out of hand. All that crap around the fights, the JBJ-juicehead situation to name a few it´s frustrating.
I don´t need that circus.
But thank god it´s not only the UFC.

There Is some truth to that I will admit, but it’s definitely not the same. Who besides mma fans even use the word casual as an insult?

Trust me, most people who watch football (American) are “casual” fans. They watch because that’s what people do in America, not because they have any knowledge or true passion for the sport.
Check out an NFL or NBA forum. You don’t see that attitude at all.

There is clearly an element of people around here that take great pride in being more knowledgeable about the sport than others and love to point it out. MMA is clearly unique in that aspect and I’m just wondering why that is.

Well on "who other use casual as an insult" I already wrote football fans will yell "casual" to all non-hardcore supporters of the team. At least in Italy it's pretty common, and "occasionale" (which is a pretty literal traduction of casual!) is used as an insult, someone who doesn't really "suffer for the team" and only watches big games.
Don't really know mutch about NBA or NFL fandoms.

Well on "who other use casual as an insult" I already wrote football fans will yell "casual" to all non-hardcore supporters of the team. At least in Italy it's pretty common, and "occasionale" (which is a pretty literal traduction of casual!) is used as an insult, someone who doesn't really "suffer for the team" and only watches big games.
Don't really know mutch about NBA or NFL fandoms.

Well, I’m American so I guess I can’t really speak on other countries or soccer/football, but what you’re describing sounds like something totally different from what I’m taking about.

Over here, someone who doesn’t “suffer for the team” would be considered a fair weather fan that isn’t dedicated to their respective team. That’s not the same thing as lacking knowledge of the sport and being “casual” or “noob”. I’m not sure we are on the same page.

What's MMA? I only know UFC

06-12, hardcore then I started working more on myself and career. Now I'm just borderline casual. Unless it's a fight that intrigues me, I won't really pay no mind to MMA nowadays. Not going to lie, this past year had had amazing events, even with h absence of stars, Conor, Jones. It gave other fighters to be noticed, Khabib, Ferguson, Woodley, Holloway, DC.

Any true hardcore will vote "casual". That's how it works. And only a true casual would call themselves "hardcore"
I see what you did there.
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

For me, it's important to distinguish between hardcore MMA fan and hardcore UFC fan. I definitely consider myself the latter, as I truthfully only consume UFC content nowadays. Checking this forum every day would support that claim. I'll catch highlights from Bellator and Rizin, but that would make me a casual fan if we were to include them under the MMA stratosphere.

I can't watch fights that I know the results of, I can only watch fights live. I guess that takes away some ''hardcore fan'' points as well.

I loved IFL. Remember when Chris Horodecki was undefeated and smashing everyone when he was late teens/early 20’s? I lost a dinner bet when Ryan Shultz beat him in their second fight. IFL was the most underrated fight promo ever.
Yeah, Horodecki was awesome. He was never the same after Shultz though. A lot of good fights back then.

I think I'm still a hardcore.

I watch every fight of every UFC event, Bellator's main cards, PFL main cards or entire cards (when tournament started), Rizin main cards, ACA almost entire cards, KSW entire cards, Invicta entire cards, One's main and co main fights (not live), some big fights (not live) of FN, Road, RCC, BAMMA and maybe I'm missing some org.

Edit: I don't follow any other sport.
Same for me, fuck ball sports. MMA is the only sport, everything else is just games

I started watching when UFC 3 came to VHS. We rented 1,2, and 3 and we were all hooked. Then from about 12 to 30 (more or less, can't remember very well) events were really hard to come across for me. Then, all of a sudden, it was back on tv and video regularly.

I was a very hardcore fan from UFC 31 until about UFC 100 or so, about a core of years after we lost Pride. I've been casual since about UFC 150ish.

Too many divisions and fighters now. WMMA is fucking garbage as well. I hate all the media garbage now too.

I haven't paid for a PPV since WMMA started appearing on the cards. I had spent a couple of thousand dollars by that point.
Yeah, the late 90's and early 00's the UFC almost died. Cable companies stopped showing it. John McCain was really pushing to get it banned. I went to two shows in Cedar Rapids. Was somewhere around the 6th row both times. Hardly anyone there. You could walk right up to the fighters and talk to them.

I've been casual for years. 2018 was the first time in probably 6-7 years that I watched more MMA than I had the year before. But still not watching a ton. I watched less UFC in 2018 than the previous year, but way more non UFC.

Voted hardcore cause while how much I watch qualifies as casual(honestly can't imagine being a hardcore fan of any hobby), I despise how casuals tend to view the sport and identify with hardcore fans more cause I can enjoy tactical fights and am not obsessed with superfights, highlight reels or loud annoying clowns.

Also have been a fan for over a decade now so at some point seniority has to kick in?

Used to do PPV events at my house but people started fighting over paying so I cut that shit off and don't do that anymore.
Yeah people suck. I would always get PPV's with the promise of people chipping in. I'd buy food and booze. Everyone would show up but nobody paid. Mostly my brothers and cousin.

Back