Are wrist and ankle weights really good for you

abhi

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Or is it hype ? or does it depend how much weights you use

I use 5 pound ones on each leg and jog about 5 miles a day in them, and they've strengthened my legs and have helped my conditioning significantly...worth a try I think...

Just to change things up, I sometimes wear them and go walking through the snow in winter...it was pretty intense especially with hills...but it was too much with everything else i do for my legs and i like to smell the roses when i walk...depends what your goals are...

No. Everyone I know who has ever used ankle weights has knee problems. And if you're considering punching and kicking with them, HELL NO.

haha i remeber back trying to increase my virtical for baskebtall..i put like 8 lbs ankle weights on and played pick up ball all the time in the summer.... hahaha now that i think of it was pretty stupid

but when i took those fuckers off.....i felt free lol.

it could be ruff on the joints..but if you used a lil lighter like 2 or 3 lbs....and did jumproping and jogging it could be the equivalent of Ali wearing boots all the time to work on his footwork...just make sure you take your joints into consideration first.

i personally dont think they are worth the money at all. they can cause so many injuries that the risk just seems to high. hte last thing you want to be doing is kicking or punching with them on though

Urban said:
No. Everyone I know who has ever used ankle weights has knee problems. And if you're considering punching and kicking with them, HELL NO.

why no kicking or punching?

If you are gonna punch, seriously minimal weights.

Kicking hell no.

It is really hard on your joints.

Punching with light hand weights are a great way to develop your lat muscles.

Leg lifts and V-Ups are ok, walking up stairs are a good workout too.

Urban said:
Agreed

Brand Nizzle said:
If you're talking 1-3 lbs, yeah, ok. That canbe done with sacrificing form too much. But you need to do this VERY sparringly. 10 minutes a week tops.

Brand Nizzle said:

your lats wouldnt really be working ,its ur deltoids and maybe traps that work the hardest.

parallax86 said:
your lats wouldnt really be working ,its ur deltoids and maybe traps that work the hardest.
try it... my lats hurt when I did it.

Urban said:

I noticed that I had soreness in my knees after trying to use ankle weights during a kicking routine. Of course, the weights were very loose and it just felt ackward.

Colby18 said:
haha i remeber back trying to increase my virtical for baskebtall..i put like 8 lbs ankle weights on and played pick up ball all the time in the summer.... hahaha now that i think of it was pretty stupid

but when i took those fuckers off.....i felt free lol.

it could be ruff on the joints..but if you used a lil lighter like 2 or 3 lbs....and did jumproping and jogging it could be the equivalent of Ali wearing boots all the time to work on his footwork...just make sure you take your joints into consideration first.

HAHA. I can just imagine some dude putting weights on his feet trying to play a game.

Man, I haven't played hoops in a LONG time. I got the ol rec season coming up so I better start shooting around again. I was pretty good back in the day.

Urban said:
If you're talking 1-3 lbs, yeah, ok. That canbe done with sacrificing form too much. But you need to do this VERY sparringly. 10 minutes a week tops.

Truth.

I use a sandbag on my back or carry in my arms while i run, i find this works all kinds of muscles you didn

Back