Are women self-defense classes pointless?

Remember way back when Rousey was on top?
I swear to you there were guys actually legitimately thinking she would beat Brock lesnars ass
Probably the same guys who train girls for self defense class

Yeah, a girl ain't going to remember a fucking lapel choke or some shit when some dude has mounted her and is likely hitting her. They can remember how to poke out eyes, squeeze balls and bite easy enough. I love BJJ, but the nasty stuff is a million times more effective in a real fight situation anyway.
lmao shut up.
I know so many female purple belts, nay, bluebelts that would beat the living fuck out of you with no ball-squeezing or biting.
You karate nerds are such losers. Squeeze my balls while i have your back, please, then i will literally kill you.

We'd teach them nasty shit they could actually do, like groin-kicks\knees, eye gouges, throat attacks, headbutts, certain bites, etc..

What kind of bites? Didn't happen to be MEGAbytes by any chance? Bagel bites? Forreal doe, what bites are less effective than others? Nose bites hurt, trap bites hurt, inner arm bites hurt, lip bites hurt, annnnnnd I've written bites so many times it no longer looks like a word and is giving me uneasy feels. I'm ouT

They are absolutely useful.

Evidence re survival situations is that having thought of a plan of action vastly improves your survival chance.

Just them thinking about what they would do if grabbed is a massive boon.

Nobody is suggesting they will pull off a bunch of moves, but they will have a higher chance of fighting back and trying to escape rather than freezing.

No, it’s just sexy foreplay

Years ago, I got into a "fight" with a guy at my work; he threw a couple of sloppy hands, so I Touched him with teh Jab. I didn't hit him that hard. Just enough to rock his head back and calm him the fuck down.

Of course, I was sitting in the personnel office five minutes later,

PM, "He says you assaulted him!"

Me, "Assault? I've had foreplay that was rougher than that!"

What kind of bites? Didn't happen to be MEGAbytes by any chance? Bagel bites? Forreal doe, what bites are less effective than others? Nose bites hurt, trap bites hurt, inner arm bites hurt, lip bites hurt, annnnnnd I've written bites so many times it no longer looks like a word and is giving me uneasy feels. I'm ouT

Yeah, just different bites to different spots that hurt more. I never really paid much attention to that, so can't really remember.

lmao shut up.
I know so many female purple belts, nay, bluebelts that would beat the living fuck out of you with no ball-squeezing or biting.
You karate nerds are such losers. Squeeze my balls while i have your back, please, then i will literally kill you.
If Hayden squoze your balls you would let go and scream like a pussy.

lmao shut up.

Man, settle the fuck down. You sound like a legit moron here.

We're talking about girls with no training taking single classes and what they're going to take away from that. A girl who is a purple/blue belt isn't going to go to a normal self defense class, are they?

You wannabe tough guys are such losers, and I've done way, way more years of BJJ than I did Karate. Pretty confident these blue belt females of yours ain't going to do much against me.

You seriously train at a McDojo if you think those sort of moves aren't effective as well.

Last edited:
Brown belt in bjj and train mma once a week. Used to teach Taekwondo and used to teach some women’s self defense seminars . It’s more important I think to teach them psychological techniques an awareness /breathing tech that can calm them down under stress. Keep the physical tech really basic as they will forget then under stress without practice. A fighting mindset goes along way . Things my instructor and I taught were Krav Maga tyoe stuff . Thing is ....

if a person doesn’t train the “ moves” under stress and resistance , then they will never be ingrained . That’s why BJJ, mma , judo , wrestling , muay thai and boxing are number one for women’s “ self defense “ cause those are arts where u go against people live with them not letting u do the moves on them demo style .
A woman , if she REALLY wants to learn how to protect herself should spar/roll/wrestle with dudes and feel their strength difference . Sometimes it will never be overcome . But training with resistance will build muscle memory , confidence , toughness and harden u to physical stress. The reality is though most men are twice as strong as most women and that is very very difficult to overcome. Being in running shape is good too to escape .

I'm referring strictly to these 1 day "women's self-defense" courses. Now I'm going to assume a majority of these classes are martial arts schools doing a promotional event for publicity, which could be the only logical explanation.

The reason I question the effectiveness of these classes is because there is no way one is going to learn how to fight in one session. I understand the premise behind these are to help women who may be in a domestic violence situation or a random attack on the street. I'm sure there'll be one girl out of 50 whose life is saved because she learned to kick a guy in the nuts after he grabs her shoulder (as if one doesn't already have the common sense to do that).

Some of the techniques they teach seem absurd.

"If a guy grabs you by the collar do this 10 move combo"

No one's gonna remember that in a day.
Hell, I saw a video where a girl was underneath a guy who was mounted on top of her and they showed the girl doing some advance collar choke.

Get real... It took me at least a month of steady practice to get competant at choking someone on top of me, you're telling me a woman in a panic is gonna calmly remember this technique from one class? Most of fighting is muscle memory and constant repetition.

P.S. Why are these classes always to ward off a male attacker? Women can also attack other women, and lesbians have higher dv rates.

They are probably close to pointless, but there are a few really simple, effective moves that you can learn quickly for specific situations (for instance, if someone grabs you shirt front, or if someone tries to strangle you in the old fashioned two hands on the throat fashion). Furthermore they can serve as an introduction to martial arts for some people or give them a chance to talk about bad experiences and gain a bit of confidence.

Last edited:
2jDMet6.gif

The fact that it's one day means they won't have the time to drill the moves until it becomes muscle memory. When in an actual fight or flight situation, what you know will go out the window and you will rely on your training. One day isn't training.

Yeah, the ones that teach all those stupid advanced moves that 90% of the girls aren't going to remember or have the strength to pull off are pointless.

Years ago when I did karate we'd do self-defense classes for women every now and then. We'd teach them nasty shit they could actually do, like groin-kicks\knees, eye gouges, throat attacks, headbutts, certain bites, etc.

We also use to teach them a lot of psychological stuff, like making themselves seem smaller, more scared and more vulnerable than they really were so they could create opportunities to escape or go for the eyes, throat or groin.

All of this stuff borders on common sense and instinct so it's easier to remember in the heat of the moment, but it can all still be trained further.

Yeah, a girl ain't going to remember a fucking lapel choke or some shit when some dude has mounted her and is likely hitting her. They can remember how to poke out eyes, squeeze balls and bite easy enough. I love BJJ, but the nasty stuff is a million times more effective in a real fight situation anyway.

No offense, but I completely disagree with this. A girl might get lucky with a really crazy eye gouge, or a truly devastating groin shot, but that’s going to be like winning the lottery. Most of the time it will only piss a male attacker off even more, and get her punched in the face even harder.

If a girl really learns a “lapel choke” as you say, and she has really trained her ass off with the move, she can choke a man unconscious with his shirt. The chances are still not great - weight classes & gender differences are a thing - but it’s a lot higher than that ‘hi-yah’ striking stuff.

Stuff like this would be a lot better for a girl to learn for unarmed self defense than striking:

^^
and even still, most girls would have to train the hell out of these moves for at least a year or more before they even *start* to become proficient enough for the street.

Back