Are women self-defense classes pointless?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm referring strictly to these 1 day "women's self-defense" courses. Now I'm going to assume a majority of these classes are martial arts schools doing a promotional event for publicity, which could be the only logical explanation.

The reason I question the effectiveness of these classes is because there is no way one is going to learn how to fight in one session. I understand the premise behind these are to help women who may be in a domestic violence situation or a random attack on the street. I'm sure there'll be one girl out of 50 whose life is saved because she learned to kick a guy in the nuts after he grabs her shoulder (as if one doesn't already have the common sense to do that).

Some of the techniques they teach seem absurd.

"If a guy grabs you by the collar do this 10 move combo"

No one's gonna remember that in a day.
Hell, I saw a video where a girl was underneath a guy who was mounted on top of her and they showed the girl doing some advance collar choke.

Get real... It took me at least a month of steady practice to get competant at choking someone on top of me, you're telling me a woman in a panic is gonna calmly remember this technique from one class? Most of fighting is muscle memory and constant repetition.

P.S. Why are these classes always to ward off a male attacker? Women can also attack other women, and lesbians have higher dv rates.

Yeah, the ones that teach all those stupid advanced moves that 90% of the girls aren't going to remember or have the strength to pull off are pointless.

Years ago when I did karate we'd do self-defense classes for women every now and then. We'd teach them nasty shit they could actually do, like groin-kicks\knees, eye gouges, throat attacks, headbutts, certain bites, etc.

We also use to teach them a lot of psychological stuff, like making themselves seem smaller, more scared and more vulnerable than they really were so they could create opportunities to escape or go for the eyes, throat or groin.

All of this stuff borders on common sense and instinct so it's easier to remember in the heat of the moment, but it can all still be trained further.

Yeah, a girl ain't going to remember a fucking lapel choke or some shit when some dude has mounted her and is likely hitting her. They can remember how to poke out eyes, squeeze balls and bite easy enough. I love BJJ, but the nasty stuff is a million times more effective in a real fight situation anyway.

Most are just marketing for the martial arts school or public service for a police department. The truth about what really good self defense seminars teach is about situational awareness. They may teach a few hands on things to get away and run for help. The awareness of your surroundings and listening to your inner conscious telling you something is sketchy is what a good self defense course should be teaching.

I taught my girl how to kick a guy in the nuts with her shin and the only time she has ever used it was on me when we were drunk and I said her mom was a bitch.

dont worry TS u can still do what u gotta do, just might eat a few shots on the way in.

I taught my girl how to kick a guy in the nuts with her shin and the only time she has ever used it was on me when we were drunk and I said her mom was a bitch.
And by “we” you mean?

I have always told my wife if something ever happens without me around

1. run!

If thats not an option, then these 4 things; Eyes, nose, throat and groin.Land a hit or scratch to any of them get free then RUN.

up kicks and running. Maybe a super tight RNC if shes a big girl and the guy cant slam her. . .

Most are just marketing for the martial arts school or public service for a police department. The truth about what really good self defense seminars teach is about situational awareness. They may teach a few hands on things to get away and run for help. The awareness of your surroundings and listening to your inner conscious telling you something is sketchy is what a good self defense course should be teaching.

I have a former coach that also did self defense seminars dude was a legit bad ass with a back ground in Shooto, boxing, judo and JJ. When we discussed "self defense" he always said that the best self defense was a good pair of running shoes...
And I agree with him. Get away asap.
Especially today, more and more "criminals" are armed with either knifes or guns or they are +3 people.
Run Forrest run.

We actually have a open case here a guy in his 50ties looked the wrong way at a younger guy (still at large) so while beating the older guy up with a base ball bat he scream about being an mma fighter.
So even trained hoodlums uses friends and bats in fights.

I dunno man I hear that's all Holly Holm did and she became a world champ

EYES
tumblr_p69om3Ecbh1u5zds7o2_250.gif

THROAT
tumblr_p69om3Ecbh1u5zds7o3_250.gif

GENITALS
tumblr_p69om3Ecbh1u5zds7o1_250.gif

VICTORY
tumblr_p69om3Ecbh1u5zds7o4_250.gif

A single class is maybe enough to talk about common sense strategies to avoid violent situations, and maybe learn a grip break or something, but that’s about it.

Most of the time it seems like the ‘experts’ teaching these things know jack shit about realistic fighting systems though, and are filling soccer moms’ heads with useless garbage that will get them beaten up or worse in a real situation.

A man would have to be such an astronomical pussy to be subdued by a woman

me and my ex would play fight and as soon as she started to get a little rough I would bump it up from 10% to 50% and she was just completely and utterly hopeless. So much so that it scared me how vulnerable she was.

she was no small petite girl either

No they are a joke. Being competent at fighting is like any other endeavor. You have to work at it continually to be able to grasp the matter and apply it.

Back