Are/Were You a Fan of the American Version of The Office?

I think the main difference between the U.S. and English versions is that they made Michael Scott more likeable because he would have glimpses of being a decent guy that the other characters would respond to, and deep down for the most part the other characters actually liked him, whereas David Brent was more of a schmuck that the other characters despised the whole way through the show. The only time he had a redeeming moment with the rest of the cast is when he gets that laugh at the reunion party. I found David Brent to be a more interesting character in that regard, but Michael is not far behind. I haven't seen the Christmas specials, so I can't comment on them.

Also, the side characters in the U.S. version get more attention and bigger roles, which makes it seem like a fuller show. If I had to say which I like better, I'd say the U.S. version, but English one is still good.

The U.S. show gets weaker after Michael leaves, but it never strays into being a bad show. Like most U.S. television, it went on longer than it probably should.

Pretty sure that is from the Xmas Special.

The Brent movie was wholly disappointing.

220px-Brentlifeontheroad.png

I liked it. After Steve left it still had it's moments but overall it wasn't as good. When Ferrell came in he was kind of good and I liked him.

The UK Office is my favourite comedy of all time and the character of David Brent is one of the greatest and perhaps most tragic comic creations to ever grace our screens. Ricky Gervais (and Stephen Merchant) created an enduring masterpiece which he has never came anywhere close to equalling since.

Out of curiousity I gave the US version a go but it did almost nothing for me. In place of the clever and subtle humour of the original I felt like I was being bludgeoned over the head by the all too obvious comedy of the American version. I managed to get through the first season but despite the general consensus that it got better after that I really wasn't inspired to watch any more.

Last edited:
The Office is probably one of the most polarizing comedies in recent memory. Everyone I talk to either loves it or hates it, no in between. I thought the show had two parts - pre-Michael Scott and post-Michael Scott. I was a fan up until he left. What are your thoughts?

agreed

Michael Scott made the show for me. I still liked it after but it was clearly not as close as entertaining.

The Will Ferrell episodes were pretty bad.

I liked it. After Steve left it still had it's moments but overall it wasn't as good. When Ferrell came in he was kind of good and I liked him.

Ferrell had a few funny moments but overall I thought it was pretty bad.

The UK Office is my favourite comedy of all time and the character of David Brent is the greatest and perhaps most tragic comic creations to ever grace our screens. Ricky Gervais (and Stephen Merchant) created an enduring masterpiece which he has never came anywhere close to equalling since.

Out of curiousity I gave the US version a go but it did almost nothing for me. In place of the clever and subtle humour of the original I felt like I was being bludgeoned over the head by the all too obvious comedy of the American version. I managed to get through the first season but despite the general consensus that it got better after that I really wasn't inspired to watch any more.

Alan Partridge >>> David Brent, imo.

I actually think Extras S1 is better than The Office, or it at least stands up better to re-watches. The Gervais/Merchent/Pilkington Podcasts and radio show are amazing too!

The UK Office is my favourite comedy of all time and the character of David Brent is the greatest and perhaps most tragic comic creations to ever grace our screens. Ricky Gervais (and Stephen Merchant) created an enduring masterpiece which he has never came anywhere close to equalling since.

It was definitely not as subtle, but that alone shouldn't exclude it from being funny. I think the theme is the same as the UK version, it's just delivered differently. As you said, probably a bit more direct with the sillyness.

No, but I'm allergic to Steve Carell. Can't stand him.

I never liked him at all (in anything) but The Office had a lot of other characters I enjoyed, so I kept watching.

I'm actually right in the middle with it. I can watch it, but it's not something that I think is great.

Seasons 2-5ish are better than the UK Office ever was.

Not surprised. You show very little good taste.
I'm heartbroken that you personally find my lack of taste worthy of mention. You especially, because I've always held your personal opinion about things in highest regard, dude I know fuck all about because I don't give a shit.

When Steve Carell left, the show took a noticeable dive in quality. I barely cracked a smile post Michael Scott.

UK version good and had moments. One of my favorite scenes, all due to Gareth

I'm heartbroken that you personally find my lack of taste worthy of mention. You especially, because I've always held your personal opinion about things in highest regard, dude I know fuck all about because I don't give a shit.

You clearly do.

Ferrell had a few funny moments but overall I thought it was pretty bad.

Yea I liked him cause he was kind of awkward like Steve was but in a different way. When the basketball court fell on him was easily his best episode.

Pretty sure that is from the Xmas Special.

Was that the Christmas special? It's been so long since I've watched it, I can't really remember. I just remember it's the one where David is going back to the office and he doesn't want to show up without a date, so he gets a blind date to meet him there.

Was that the Christmas special? It's been so long since I've watched it, I can't really remember. I just remember it's the one where David is going back to the office and he doesn't want to show up without a date, so he gets a blind date to meet him there.

Yeah, the Xmas special. One of the very last scenes, I believe.

Back