Are/Were You a Fan of the American Version of The Office?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
The Office is probably one of the most polarizing comedies in recent memory. Everyone I talk to either loves it or hates it, no in between. I thought the show had two parts - pre-Michael Scott and post-Michael Scott. I was a fan up until he left. What are your thoughts?

The Office is probably one of the most polarizing comedies in recent memory. Everyone I talk to either loves it or hates it, no in between. I thought the show had two parts - pre-Michael Scott and post-Michael Scott. I was a fan up until he left. What are your thoughts?
Loved it! Can't say I've seen much of the post-Michael Scott stuff, though.

I'm English and I'm one of the rare ones that didn't love the English version.

I've been told by lotsss of friends to try the US version but never have. I will get round to downloading it soon!

I'm English and I'm one of the rare ones that didn't love the English version.

I've been told by lotsss of friends to try the US version but never have. I will get round to downloading it soon!

just watch it @ putlockersDOTch

The Office makes me feel really awkward when I watch it. I don't like feeling that way so I don't really watch it.

I prefer Parks and Rec.

Tried a few episodes and didn't care much for it

I like it a lot. Dwight is my favorite, and not Michael.

No, but I'm allergic to Steve Carell. Can't stand him.

Never got into it, but I enjoy parks and recs.

It gets weaker after Michael leaves but it's still a great watch from start to finish.

I loved the first 4 seasons. After that it went downhill quickly. Season 2 is probably my favorite season of any show ever. Favorite episode though is season 3 episode 1, Gay Witch Hunt.

No, but I'm allergic to Steve Carell. Can't stand him.

^

I thought the show was okay overall, but Scott dragged shit down. Really missed the sleaze of Gervais' character (Not that I was a big fan of UK Office either)

Also, for the record

240px-Kelly_Kapoor.jpg

I would

British version > American. In almost everything except dental care

I really liked the office. I thought it was going to go downhill when Michael left, but I didn't mind it. It was after Robert California left, that's when it plummeted for me.

I thought it was great before Carell left and then it was still pretty good.

Parks & Rec is definitely my favourite Michael Schur show but The Office is still amazing.

I'm a Brit and love the original series.

That said, I prefer the US version because there is a lot more to it.

The original show focuses on David, Gareth, Tim and Dawn (Michael, Dwight, Jim and Pam) and only has 12 episodes. 14 if you count the Christmas specials which came after.

There are 201 episodes of the US Office. The peripheral characters become really well developed and there is a lot more breadth and depth to it.

It has a different feel to the UK version. It's more overtly a sitcom rather than trying to present itself as a legit documentary.

Like a lot of shows, it started to get shit towards the end as they ran out of ideas and tried to compensate by doing increasingly stupid stuff. It's a sad end that many US shows suffer. On the contrary, the UK version ended well. The Christmas specials basically kill off the 2 main story arcs.

All in all, I think the US Office is a great show. Some of the writing and performances are top drawer. I think the hallmark of a great comedy is when you genuinely care about the characters, and I really was invested in several of them.

Probably my favourite comedy. Season 1 was only a warm up for the rest of the series. And IMO it did not go downhill after Michael left. It gave the other characters a chance to shine particularly smaller parts like Kevin and Creed. Not to mention Dwight stepping up. Dwight Schrute is my favourite comedy character of all time. Just Brilliant.

The Brit Office was good. Is there a reason we have to compare them. I hate that shit. Just like them both for what they are.

Back