Are weight dips more effective for hypertrophy than dumbbells?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are they comparable or is one even more effective than the other? I was originally going to buy dumbells and start from there but then I realized that weight dipping is easily accessible and easy to do without getting injured even if you get tired.

Btw, how much of your own weight are you actually lifting during weight dip, 20%?

Sorry I meant dumbbell curls

Dips and curls work completely different muscle groups. That's like asking if chest flys will make your back grow. You might need to take a crash course on anatomy and kinesiology.

Dips and curls work completely different muscle groups. That's like asking if chest flys will make my back grow. You might need to take a crash course on anatomy and kinesiology.

I asked about hypertrophy in general, not the actual muscle groups for the different excersise

I asked about hypertrophy in general, not the actual muscle groups for the different excersise

Yes. Dumbbell curls are better for general hypertrophy for your entire body. No need for any other exercises. Just dumbbell curls.

Your training is complete. No more questions please.

I forgot I can't use sarcasm in spacetime threads.

Sorry everyone, I'll do better next time.

Prove it.

It's hard to be sarcastic when you're responding to straw men. My question is: does weight dip produce faster hypertrophy gains than dumbbell curls (assuming the weight is comparable).

It's hard to be sarcastic when you're responding to straw men. My question is: does weight dip produce faster hypertrophy gains than dumbbell curls (assuming the weight is comparable).
You're allowed to do more exercises than curls with a dumbbell, just a heads up.

Why are you forced to choose between them? They call dips the "squats of the upper body" for a reason (or was that pullups?).

Are you asking if exercises that engage multiple muscle groups are more effective for gains (if you don't care where they happen) than isolation exercises? Because if so...

it is still impossible to give a sensible answer to that question.

Dips and weighted dips are excellent compound exercises. They are most comparable to other compound exercises like push ups/weighted push ups and bench press. I enjoyed doing weighted dips for a time and they had decent carryover to my bench press.

Dumbbell curls are an isolation exercise and targets primarily your biceps. Isolation exercises in general are significantly worse at building muscles because they recruit a far lower number of muscles in your body. So if you're asking in a vacuum which exercise recruits more muscles, it is definitely dips.

This is why people view exercises like squat and deadlift to be top choices.

Dips and weighted dips are excellent compound exercises. They are most comparable to other compound exercises like push ups/weighted push ups and bench press. I enjoyed doing weighted dips for a time and they had decent carryover to my bench press.

Dumbbell curls are an isolation exercise and targets primarily your biceps. Isolation exercises in general are significantly worse at building muscles because they recruit a far lower number of muscles in your body. So if you're asking in a vacuum which exercise recruits more muscles, it is definitely dips.

This is why people view exercises like squat and deadlift to be top choices.

You really think pushups is comparable to weighted dips?? The only thing push-ups been good for (IMO) is push-ups. It didn't drastically make me stronger nor did it create much hypertrophy either. I actually thought dumbbells gave far better results in terms of strength than push-ups.

Push-ups is simply too much functional strength.

Back