Are weight classes necessary?

That sounds like it would be really, really detrimental to both easy matchmaking and creating good narratives for fighters without star value. A weight class is a ready -made context for those who follow the sport on any other degree than obsessively. That's a pretty big thing in a sport economically dependent on fans.

They surely have a bigger overhead now. The UFC didn't start turning a profit until the first successful PPV year (2006). Back then, they very likely didn't have the expenses that they do now. Therefore, the amount of buys each PPV needs to achieve for the UFC to turn a profit has likely gone up. I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC is in a situation similar to Hollywood, where the few but massive commercial successes pay for the many minor hits that don't individually make money.

But like I said, I agree that the UFC would survive without its big stars. I overstated the case. I don't really think that. But I do think there's a bight and day difference in revenue, when there's not a Conor or a Ronda actively fighting.

Obviously there's going to be a night and day difference in revenue. That's common sense. Just like any fad item on store shelves, it sells like hotcakes for a while, but when it's gone the store is still going to be in business.

Even with more overhead, the UFC keeps making a profit, and it's the other way around I think. Instead of the few massive cards making up for smaller losses, I think the constant trickle of revenue mitigates things to a level where even if a big card flops(UFC200 sort of), it doesn't sting too much because it was just gravy anyway.

Mighty Mouse versus Bork Laser.

Well that's the most asinine thing I've ever read. Might as well let the women fight the men, and force children to fight the adults.

I want to see Jon Jones fifth bastard child as a fetus fight Dana White.

Conor/Nate isn't for a title. Not only does that not kill the sport, the opposite is actually true: the UFC needs the Conor and Ronda shows to survive. And the titles aren't a big deal in Conor and Ronda's drawing power. Ronda Rousey became a star in part because of her dominance. She built a reputation in armbarring everyone within a minute. That'd still garner respect even without a belt. Conor was one of the biggest stars of the company, KOing everyone, before he even fought for a title.

Money is a thing to fight for. Rankings and yearly awards would be a way to officially recognize the best of the sport.

Agreed. There's no real good reason why fighters have to step on a scale at all.

A drunk in a bar can look at a guy, size him up, and determine if he wants to fight that guy for looking at his girlfriend the wrong way or if he maybe should let this one go... but a professional fighter can't look at another fighter whom he has seen fight and, with the help of an athletic commission, his own trainers, and a promoter that, presumably, wants to put on competitive fights, can't determine if a potential opponent represents an unfair mismatch for him without having everyone strip down to their skivvies and step on a scale?

Pfffft...

Yeah because the UFC hypes Mighty Mouse so much right? He's always doing media and interviews and open workouts, he's doing films and ads, he's all over.

You are confusing promote with hype. What you are describing is promotional work, I am talking about hype.

Here's an example of hype, “I think he’s ridiculously, incredibly talented. He’s awesome. I believe with Joe Rogan that he’s the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.” Dana White.

Do you see the difference?

yhpfn-300x224.jpg

Yes they are

And while we're at it do away with age restrictions.

I'd like to see Lesnar vs. 50 toddlers.

Why stop there? I want to see Lesnar, Coleman, and MM vs 2 baboons riding a clydesdale plus a gorilla wearing a Richard Nixon mask....

TLDR: catch weights exist. Also, MMA isn't likely to be legal without weight classes and the plethora of rules and regulations.

TLDR: catch weights exist. Also, MMA isn't likely to be legal without weight classes and the plethora of rules and regulations.
It'd be safer without weight classes, so there should be no commission problems. Fighters would be fighting fighters of a similar weight.

That sounds like it would be really, really detrimental to both easy matchmaking and creating good narratives for fighters without star value. A weight class is a ready -made context for those who follow the sport on any other degree than obsessively. That's a pretty big thing in a sport economically dependent on fans.
I think it frees up matchmaking. All fighters would have a record of every weight they ever fought at. The UFC would come to fighters with fight suggestions, the same way they do now. They'd generally suggest opponents of similar sizes and rankings. Small WW's who don't want to cut to LW would be freed up to fight large LW's who were willing to cut. And everybody would be cutting only the minimum necessary amount of weight, on a fight-by-fight basis.

I don't like the idea of "creating narratives". I'm into reality. Hardcore fans would be too if they were educated. Casual fans don't care about rankings and belts. Hardcore fans do, but they shouldn't, and wouldn't, if they were more honest with themselves. I like seeing skilled fighters fight skilled fighters in entertaining fights. Belts and weight classes aren't necessary for that to happen. I think people are just afraid of change, but would get used to it. People like champions and weight classes because it's what they know and are used to.

Each fight would still have the same merit and meaning that it does now, even with weight classes removed. None of that would change. Only the lies people tell themselves would be gone. And that's a good thing.

People should stop trying to fit MMA into a typical sport structure with a typical sport schedule. Fighters can't fight regularly for health reasons, and thus every fight they have is an anomaly and an event itself. As a result, rankings aren't and can't be the equivalent of regular sports' league tables. The official UFC rankings didn't even exist a few years ago. And today, they're only ancillary. They aren't and shouldn't be the be-all and end-all.

I'm not following you, can you elaborate?
It's all in the main post. Fighters would agree on a weight when the bout agreement is drawn up. So one fighter should be cutting nothing and the other fighter should be cutting a minimal amount if anything. That's why it'd be safer.

It's all in the main post. Fighters would agree on a weight when the bout agreement is drawn up. So one fighter should be cutting nothing and the other fighter should be cutting a minimal amount if anything. That's why it'd be safer.

Catchweights exist. A weight class is required for a title to exist. Without a title to exist, beyond the spirit of competition, what incentive do fighters have to face one another? A title is also a financial incentive to obtain and defend it. I think it's a bit early to be getting rid of the UFC as a brand, as it's synonymous in the mainstream with MMA and that brand recognition is a major driving force in terms of revenue, which is how fighter's get paid, and recognition (and therefore support) of MMA as a sport, even if they call it 'UFC fighting' instead of MMA.

I think weight classes are necessary, with many points to support it, at least for now. Are you talking about making MMA matchmaking more akin to boxing?

You need belts. Their extremely important in selling the fights too audiences.

If it was just a bunch of catchweights, it wouldn't mean as much too most.

I personally think they shuld go with 10 male weight divisions:

And stop there.

10 is a good number, nice and even and only 2 more than hat we already have, not a big deal.

Back