Are we overly impressed by first round finishes?

You Will Vote For Dreyga

You have no choice
@Gold
Reaction score
I feel this has become a pattern. New prospect comes up. He gets some quick finishes. They get hyped as the next MMA prodigy. Then they get derailed as a brutal fashion.

Walker, Shabazyan, Barber, Gillespie

Finishes are cool but they aren’t always reflective of a fully rounded game? Maybe we are too easily impressed?

winning a fight in 30 seconds doesn't mean shit.

good for the highlight reel but not for the overall development as a fighter

Yes.

I feel that way about all the prospects until we see them tested, we cant really make much out of it.

Yep. True GOAT material fighters are not afraid to play with their food and test their cardio a bit.

Screen_Recording_20200721-183142_1.gif

Brunson has a few first round L's too. Wasn't like that wasn't a part of the thought process

*exciting, fun to watch... sure. But funny when Khamzat (example) smeshes a top 500 fighter and now is Khabib 2.0... just makes the hype train crash so much harder...

There's nothing wrong with getting hyped about first round finishes, they're exciting and can make any Fight Night feel that much more alive, but the problem is people don't come off that high, and forget to exercise caution and hopeful optimism. Some people see a string of first round KO's and their minds go OFF to the races before said fighter faces any real adversity.

A fight only becomes a fight when you have something to overcome, and without struggle there is no growth. You can't go swimming and not get wet, first round finishes are like jumping into the pool, and getting right out, it can feel nice yes, but there's more to the water than quick splashes.

Everyone’s chasing Jon Jones. Like the Bobby Fischer of MMA

First round finishes are fun to watch, but all it shows about a fighter is that he has the capability to pull off a quick finish. It shows nothing about their stamina, heart, or ability to adapt.

Walker is one 360 spinning heel kick in the first round away from being the man to officially retire Jones.

I feel this has become a pattern. New prospect comes up. He gets some quick finishes. They get hyped as the next MMA prodigy. Then they get derailed as a brutal fashion.

Finishes are cool but they aren’t always reflective of a fully rounded game? Maybe we are too easily impressed?

Houston Alexander is for real.
Ngannou got that title fight after KOing the two most knocked out Heavyweights

It never stops

*exciting, fun to watch... sure. But funny when Khamzat (example) smeshes a top 500 fighter and now is Khabib 2.0... just makes the hype train crash so much harder...

Anyone with a brain is tempered with this stuff. Khamzat will lose. That doesn't mean he sucks.

Yeah, too much weight gets put on it as a quality ... I'm guilty
<{CMPALM}>

gillespie isnt really a great example

he was dominating guys bell to bell and hadnt had too many finishes before he fought yancy IIRC

Stamina is always the question I ask when it comes to prospects who have never gone the distance. The amount of adrenaline and anxiety during any sort of performance is going to zap a considerable amount of your stamina to begin with.

Definitely, I feel like you can only get a good feel for a prospect after they have gone through some adversity and shown their cardio.

Can't wait far Barber next fight. I hope her recovery is going great.

Back