Are we forgetting CoGar absolutely schooled Cruz?

His name is nodad what’s your problem

What? This is the ultimate case of being taken to school. He owned him for 25 minutes and mocked him while doing it. No offense to Dom. He's a possible GOAT but he got taken to school that night.
Judges had it 3 rounds to 2, of all the possible 10-8s ive seen recently this maybe the worst

yeah i see what ur saying. its all opinion - a guy like gsp would 50-45 anybody but his performance wont have the highlights that say cody's did when he beat cruz.

That's true.

His chin wont last 5 rounds vs TJ. He needs an early finish or hes done.

Cogar up there with guys using the term Jitz in terms of douche bag cringe factor.

And the cruz he fought is basically a patch work of the actual cruz.

I think Cody has slightly better hands, but TJ has kicks and footwork on his side which can allow him to dictate range a bit better.

Both guys hurt each other last time they fought. We don’t need to look to Cruz for any sort of validation of skill sets, they can both finish each other. I’ll take TJ due to experience and his advantages mentioned above, either way should be a great fight.

Lot of good things said in here, agree Cody has sweeter hands and I would say sweeter feet. Agree TJ got slick kicks and his more technical & practiced base Cody is more loose stylistically TJ taught dance Cody knows how to dance.

This fight can go either way I got "No Love" just because I like his swag better nothing more, nothing less...

Cody definitely has a nice power kick but by no means "sweeter feet" than tJ whatever that gay shit means

Cody certainly has the potential to make the entire fight look like rd 1, but TJ is a harder match-up for Cody than Dom.

Dom is, for the most part, a point fighter who's punches are considerably light without too much threat of any fight ending strikes. His style is mostly defensive, racking up pot shots and opportunistic take-downs with his movement. Cody did not pay him any respect in that fight.

TJ's style is much more aggressive, kind of like a more offense oriented Cruz, except he carries much more power in his strikes. Unlike with Dom, Cody can't afford to be reckless because TJ does have the means to end the fight if he lands.

Cody certainly has the potential to make the entire fight look like rd 1, but TJ is a harder match-up for Cody than Dom.

Dom is, for the most part, a point fighter who's punches are considerably light without too much threat of any fight ending strikes. His style is mostly defensive, racking up pot shots and opportunistic take-downs with his movement. Cody did not pay him any respect in that fight.

TJ's style is much more aggressive, kind of like a more offense oriented Cruz, except he carries much more power in his strikes. Unlike with Dom, Cody can't afford to be reckless because TJ does have the means to end the fight if he lands.

Yeah it is strange because TJ with his sort of awkward style with all of the footwork and movement, was easier for Cruz to handle. That fight was a great back-and-forth fight but Cruz I thought won legitimately three rounds in that fight. And he didn’t take major major damage as in getting knocked down or almost knocked out at any point. But Cody was able to counter strike him, I don’t think anyone ever really did that before. One thing that frustrated me that he kept doing because he basically always got away with it, Dominic had his hands down very low on the exit. Cody kept catching him on the exit right on the chin over and over. Dominic obviously got away with this before but not on that night.

Lot of good things said in here, agree Cody has sweeter hands and I would say sweeter feet. Agree TJ got slick kicks and his more technical & practiced base Cody is more loose stylistically TJ taught dance Cody knows how to dance.

This fight can go either way I got "No Love" just because I like his swag better nothing more, nothing less...
You confident this one ends in a stoppage either way?

Yeah it is strange because TJ with his sort of awkward style with all of the footwork and movement, was easier for Cruz to handle. That fight was a great back-and-forth fight but Cruz I thought won legitimately three rounds in that fight. And he didn’t take major major damage as in getting knocked down or almost knocked out at any point. But Cody was able to counter strike him, I don’t think anyone ever really did that before. One thing that frustrated me that he kept doing because he basically always got away with it, Dominic had his hands down very low on the exit. Cody kept catching him on the exit right on the chin over and over. Dominic obviously got away with this before but not on that night.
It's sort of like a quasi triangle, but not in the sense that one beats the other, just that one has a more favorable match-up. Cody is exceptional at reading his opponents movements and adjusting.

I think TJ is an "easier" fight for Cruz than Cody because TJ's aggressive style plays right into Dom's game of being the matador. Dom wants the other guy to chase him, which TJ was doing all throughout the fight.
I had that fight for TJ though, or at least a draw.
Cody was more willing to sit back and let Dom come in, and was focused on seeing through Dom's movements to counter rather than come at Dom himself.

It's sort of like a quasi triangle, but not in the sense that one beats the other, just that one has a more favorable match-up. Cody is exceptional at reading his opponents movements and adjusting.

I think TJ is an "easier" fight for Cruz than Cody because TJ's aggressive style plays right into Dom's game of being the matador. Dom wants the other guy to chase him, which TJ was doing all throughout the fight.
I had that fight for TJ though, or at least a draw.
Cody was more willing to sit back and let Dom come in, and was focused on seeing through Dom's movements to counter rather than come at Dom himself.

So you think Cody will step back and look for TJ to come to him? Good thoughts on this BTW..

That was a dance off fight, this is snake taming. Very different.

Cruz's style just did not flummox Garbrandt because Cody is faster and hits harder. All the things Cruz does to hit lightly and get away did not work against a guy who had a pretty big speed (hand and foot) advantage. Cruz dominated guys that just couldn't catch up to him when he darted away. Garbrandt was fast enough to stay in his face and had the power to hurt him.

Cruz had a couple glaring holes in his game that I had been pointing out for years before Cody was finally able to capatilize on them (not at all coincidentally he was also the most skilled Boxer Cruz had faced although Cruz slowing down a step also probably played a role)

He always had a habit of ducking at the waist while his feet stayed stationary to attempt to throw high kicks that would land behind his opponents line of site as they stopped in ( Think Condit vs GSP) that I always said made him extremely vulnerable to either a well timed jump knee or the much easier to land uppercut.

He also had a habit of dipping his head side to side while feinting with his hands low that made him very open for lead hooks.

I was shocked it took so long for these habits to finally cost him but between him losing a step and Cody being a very technically sound boxer it finally did.

On a side note has Cruz fought since then? I don't recall a fight since.

So you think Cody will step back and look for TJ to come to him? Good thoughts on this BTW..
This time, it's harder to figure since both have had the opportunity to religiously study the footage and come up with new game-plans. That said, I think Cody is stubbornly convinced he's the better fighter and only lost to a simple mistake, i.e misreading a kick, then getting emotional and getting lured into an unfavorable exchange. To TJ's credit though, throwing nothing but body and leg kicks early, and then going high in the later rounds was part of his game plan. Cody is definitely aware of this now though. Either way, I think he's coming in the same as before.

TJ, I have no idea what he's planning. He's been spending a lot of time with Lomachenko, so idk. His best success came from forgetting about trying to fondoogle his way in to find an angle, and instead opting to try and pick Cody off from a distance with single shots. If he does this, he's going to be whiffing a lot of air, but Cody only has two options, be kept at bay and backing up, or bracing to then charge forward and flurry. If the fight ends early, I think it's going to be from one of these flurries, where either guy can get caught. I have no idea how later rounds would go. Maybe we'll even see some wrestling if it gets there.

I had a decent idea of how the first fight would go, but I feel there are so many more possibilities on this one. I figured either Cody would have KO'd TJ in the first round or two, or TJ, after losing the first two rounds, would have come back, adjusted, and got the finish in round 4 or 5. Turns out, all of that happened in the first two rounds.

This the same Cruz who no one was able to beat and Cody tooled him, was faster, more elusive and basically outclassed the goat of the division.

Sure he lost to TJ cause he was head hunting, but if he can get his emotions together and not head hunt, he will beat TJ 50-45 UD this fight.

He could have done that last fight imo since the 1st rough could have been scored 10-8 and TJ seemed outmatched. Funny how a split second can make so many believe that TJ is the superior fight which he's not.

That being said, it is the UFC and anything can always happen.
Watch the fight again cogar has nothing on tjs kicks and if he doesn’t get used to getting kicked in the body the same thing will happen again.

Back