Are we ever going to admit Conor actually looked Really Good against Floyd Mayweather?

If you watched floyd Mayweather fights you will see he went into this fight with the most basic gameplan and absolutely mininal effort ever in his career. This was a guy who was well past his prime. The only thing you can say is that connor lasted 10 rounds.. but it's completely irrelevent.. if floyd only went for the kill in the 10th round and he got it with ease.
Definitely a basic gameplan.

Allow him to punch himself out, make him miss, attack the body, drag him into deeper waters where you know be cant hang and drown him.

One thing he did do was switch it up mid fight tho. He realized Conors poor defense and weakness to forward pressure and went on the offensive.

Beyond that though, he was shredded. Floyd doesnt put minimal effort into any of his fights. He was just an old man in boxing years. He fought as he needed to get the win against a younger opponent

Conor was fast in those early rounds. Very fast. His reflexes were very strong when be was fresh. He was moving his feet well, kept his head off the line, was moving his head and trying to time and counter. His pull counters are very similar to Floyd's himself.

It would've been risky for Floyd to just attack at that time. Floyd isnt the type to throw caution to the wind. He plays it safe.

He allowed Conor to punch himself out, made him miss, attacked the body when he could. When Conor began to slow is when you seen Floyd start to open up.
Floyd, in 3 rounds, threw less than he threw in one in some of his most defensive fights.

It wasn't even about tiring him out. If Floyd wanted to empty his gas tank he would have made Conor chase him and match his pace while peppering body shots.

Instead he chose to use a maximum of 10 punches per round. Floyd would never do that against anyone he considered a real threat. He knew he was safe and let Conor have some time in the light until he tired himself out.

Conor had a few things he did well in the 4th. He adjusted well to actual offense and mounted decent attacks, footwork, and counters but could not handle the heat or pressure he was receiving.

Conor did better than he had any right to do. But the first 3 don't show that. You see that in the 4th and 8th.

Pretty much the only thing I hear from people, especially here is that Floyd carried him. Nobody even says anything about the fight beyond that

But if you watch these first 4 rounds, Conor was fast, was moving his feet EXTREMELY well, his reflexes and head movement were strong, he was putting together some beautiful combos. He showed a very nice jab and was catching Floyd with it. He was timing Floyd and countering him pretty impressively. His pull counters are very much like Floyd's himself

Even Sugar Ray Leonard who was commentating, a top 5 all time boxing great, gave him credit both during and after the fight. Everyone from Larry Holmes to George Foreman to Tyson, Amir Khan, Adrien broner, Terrence Crawford legitimately showed him some love. Many of these guys vocally talked shit about Conor and the fight

By any Intelligent accounts, its virtually impossible to not objectively acknowledge that Conor demonstrated some impressive boxing ability in that fight.

He did get tired and punch himself out, Floyd took him into deep water and drowned them as was expected, but he showed very well for himself prior to that happening.

I just find it odd an mma fighter can have a performance like that in a boxing ring and get absolutely zero credit for it from the MMA community.

All the boxers showed a ton of honest respect , all the mma fighters, all the boxing analysts, everyone who knows the game gave credit where it's due. But not sherdog. The hate is that powerful where it just blinds reality

It's easier to just say Floyd carried him but the fight doesnt lie, anyone who knows boxing knows what happened.

On that note, people need to also realize that Floyd was a 40 year old man. He was fighting a guy who was faster, younger and had better reflexes than him and is known to be a counter fighter, along with being a southpaw.

He played it safe when he was fresh, hit the body hard, made him miss and took him into deeper waters and drowned him. Pretty simple stuff.

Floyd has genius level ring IQ and ability to adapt as well, during the fight Conor exposed his own lack of defense and weakness to forward pressure, which is where you seen Floyd move into an attacking strategy.

This is one example of how hate blinds and makes some of you people twist the truth.

i'm into chicks but that said hes still no brad pitt, looked like shit as usual

gay stuff aside, i've literally never seen a boxer gas out before. I dont know how many boxing matches ive seen, hundreds? maybe a thousand. Can he just do some fucking roadwork already, he's such a huge embarassment

Could you recommend me another fight where a boxer flops around helplessly gassing out and the fight gets called off because of it? Just for some context...and bully beatdown doesnt count

If Conor's just a good fighter, makes you wonder what kind of fighters are behind him on the rankings.. :rolleyes:

tough to say, he rarely sticks to a weight class and doesn't defend his titles. i would say that someone like brian ortega would give him a run for his money. ortega can take a lot of damage as seen against max hollaway and his submissions are lightning fast

He did well against an all time great. I thought he was better with his footwork and movement, but he lacked power imo...That surprised me.

Pretty much the only thing I hear from people, especially here is that Floyd carried him. Nobody even says anything about the fight beyond that

But if you watch these first 4 rounds, Conor was fast, was moving his feet EXTREMELY well, his reflexes and head movement were strong, he was putting together some beautiful combos. He showed a very nice jab and was catching Floyd with it. He was timing Floyd and countering him pretty impressively. His pull counters are very much like Floyd's himself

Even Sugar Ray Leonard who was commentating, a top 5 all time boxing great, gave him credit both during and after the fight. Everyone from Larry Holmes to George Foreman to Tyson, Amir Khan, Adrien broner, Terrence Crawford legitimately showed him some love. Many of these guys vocally talked shit about Conor and the fight

By any Intelligent accounts, its virtually impossible to not objectively acknowledge that Conor demonstrated some impressive boxing ability in that fight.

He did get tired and punch himself out, Floyd took him into deep water and drowned them as was expected, but he showed very well for himself prior to that happening.

I just find it odd an mma fighter can have a performance like that in a boxing ring and get absolutely zero credit for it from the MMA community.

All the boxers showed a ton of honest respect , all the mma fighters, all the boxing analysts, everyone who knows the game gave credit where it's due. But not sherdog. The hate is that powerful where it just blinds reality

It's easier to just say Floyd carried him but the fight doesnt lie, anyone who knows boxing knows what happened.

On that note, people need to also realize that Floyd was a 40 year old man. He was fighting a guy who was faster, younger and had better reflexes than him and is known to be a counter fighter, along with being a southpaw.

He played it safe when he was fresh, hit the body hard, made him miss and took him into deeper waters and drowned him. Pretty simple stuff.

Floyd has genius level ring IQ and ability to adapt as well, during the fight Conor exposed his own lack of defense and weakness to forward pressure, which is where you seen Floyd move into an attacking strategy.

This is one example of how hate blinds and makes some of you people twist the truth.

Ray Leonard recently mocked him lol

No

mayweather-smile.jpg

This picture is after round 3, going into round 4. That is the look of a man that knows he's already won the fight.

Just to help people with the stats of this fight:

In round 1 Floyd threw 6 punches total.
In round 2 Floyd threw 10 punches total.
In round 3 Floyd threw 12 punches total.

Every subsequent round after that Floyd was throwing 30-70 punches. Which is 5 to 11 times the rate of activity of round 1. Floyd's inaction in rounds 1-3 tell you a tale of what was happening in the fight. He was simply testing Conor's abilities with no real intention of using offense yet. Why would he do this? Because he's the veteran in there. He's going to learn the timing of Conor's punches a hell of a lot faster than Conor is going to learn Floyd's timing.

Conor winning rounds 1-3 when he landed like 6 punches in all three rounds combined is probably the most delusional morale victory of all time.

Fucking devastating post.

If you watched floyd Mayweather fights you will see he went into this fight with the most basic gameplan and absolutely mininal effort ever in his career. This was a guy who was well past his prime. The only thing you can say is that connor lasted 10 rounds.. but it's completely irrelevent.. if floyd only went for the kill in the 10th round and he got it with ease.

Anyone with boxing knowledge can see that

Ts loves conor

You're wasting your time OP.

You're trying to engage in rational discussion about Conor McGregor with folk who think everyone he's beaten is shit or took a dive and everyone he hasn't fought is someone he's dodging. Logic and rationale have no home here, just trolling and frothing at the mouth hot takes.

There is none as blind as those who won't see.

they should of fought a 6 round fight, that could of been interesting. i was surprised by how good he looked early.

Paulie was right though Conor just doesn't have enough Boxing knowledge just MMA approach .....

Conor needs to study tape...........

Floyd senior would have carried that bum aswell and then knocked out him out later.

giphy.gif

<YeahOKJen>

UepSTfZ.gif

aosECR9.gif

KlutzyLegalEmperorshrimp-small.gif

OK2E7JV.gif

emfq0myyc76djnwzg.jpg

{<jordan}

Who are you trying to kid? He looked fast? No he fucking didn't, he looked like a slow, weak, featherfisted bum. The 40 year old shell of Floyd walked him down and gave him brain damage without breaking a sweat.

Floyd, in 3 rounds, threw less than he threw in one in some of his most defensive fights.

It wasn't even about tiring him out. If Floyd wanted to empty his gas tank he would have made Conor chase him and match his pace while peppering body shots.

Instead he chose to use a maximum of 3 punches per round. Floyd would never do that against anyone he considered a real threat. He knew he was safe and let Conor have some time in the light until he tired himself out.

Conor had a few things he did well in the 4th. He adjusted well to actual offense and mounted decent attacks, footwork, and counters but could not handle the heat or pressure he was receiving.

Conor did better than he had any right to do. But the first 3 don't show that. You see that in the 4th and 8th.
Hes a 40 year old man. He was fighting a younger fighter in his prime who has great reflexes, footwork, moves his head and counters well and is also a south paw.

In his younger days, perhaps you would see Floyd open up early. Not at 40 though.

It would've been a risk to do much more than he did in those rounds. I've been watching floyd since 2007, hes not going to just allow himself go get hit with punches.

Conor was tagging him and it wasn't because Floyd was sandbagging. Floyd was in his shell early because trying to battle Conor when he was fresh at his age would've been stupid with how Conor was fighting. He was being beaten to the punch, Conor had a big edge in reflexes and speed.

Conor was impressive in those early rounds. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs go back and watch multiple times if need be

his whole gameplan revolved around making him miss and punch himself out, attacking the body and taking it into those later rounds. Pretty basic stuff.

Conors lack of defense and ability to deal with pressure was exposed mid fight though and you seen floyd recognize it and switch up his approach

Last edited:
Then argue it.

I've laid out my points well and they're rock solid.

I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to dispute it, go ahead.

Check out the stats

https://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-mcgregor-compubox-punch-stats--119895

upload_2020-1-25_10-4-0.png

Mayweather averaged 39 punches thrown per round over his long career yet only 6 punches thrown in R1, 10 punches in R2 and 12 punches in R3. That is not an output that will win rounds unless you land something of impressive significance. Mayweather doesn't equal or exceed 39 punches in a round until R7. And it's not that McGregor's boxing pedigree was such that Mayweather could not fight at his normal pace or at a higher output if he was so inclined. McGregor's performance was not high level boxing no matter how many times McGregor fans say so on Sherdog.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/by-the-numbers-floyd-mayweathers-career-in-perspective/

SFQZs9M.gif

Last edited:
Floyd had bets on the round he ended the fight on through other people.. who all knew he'd end the fight on that round..

So do we really need to say more or think more about this??? Even if you have no clue how to box or any combat sport training experiance.

<YeahOKJen>

UepSTfZ.gif

aosECR9.gif

KlutzyLegalEmperorshrimp-small.gif

OK2E7JV.gif

emfq0myyc76djnwzg.jpg

{<jordan}

Who are you trying to kid? He looked fast? No he fucking didn't, he looked like a slow, weak, featherfisted bum. The 40 year old shell of Floyd walked him down and gave him brain damage without breaking a sweat.

I'd like to see more gifs made of the shots Conor actually landed to paint a more accurate and objective picture of what happened during the entirety of the fight

To my knowledge, there have only been gifs cherry picked to make Conor look bad lol

Which is funny and entertaining sure, but that level of bias will never tell the full story

When he was fresh, Conor did some impressive work which I've touched upon mainly , afterwards he was pretty hit or miss.

Check out the stats

https://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-mcgregor-compubox-punch-stats--119895

View attachment 716797

Mayweather averaged 39 punches thrown per round over his long career yet only 6 punches thrown in R1, 10 punches in R2 and 12 punches in R3. That is not an output that will win rounds unless you land something of impressive significance. Mayweather doesn't equal or exceed 39 punches in a round until R7. And it's not that McGregor's boxing pedigree was such that Mayweather could not fight at his normal pace or at a higher output if he was so inclined. McGregor's performance was not high level boxing no matter how times McGregor fans say so on Sherdog.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/by-the-numbers-floyd-mayweathers-career-in-perspective/

SFQZs9M.gif

I have had this debate with him

It's embarrassing to overlook the fact that Floyd threw many more against legit killers than conor

Keeps mentioning pros saying he looked good

It would look sour grapes if many ex pros trashed him. They decided to be classy

Tony bellew, allan green, froch and others were a bit more critical of conor, as they knew Floyd was sparring with him

Floyd walked forward with a high guard and treated him like pro boxers that spar amateurs

Floyd 100000% carried conor

Back