Are we ever going to admit Conor actually looked Really Good against Floyd Mayweather?

If you watched floyd Mayweather fights you will see he went into this fight with the most basic gameplan and absolutely mininal effort ever in his career. This was a guy who was well past his prime. The only thing you can say is that connor lasted 10 rounds.. but it's completely irrelevent.. if floyd only went for the kill in the 10th round and he got it with ease.

Floyd threw no offense in the first 3 rounds. It is practically impossible to look bad when the other guy is not trying. When Floyd actually started to fight Conor had nothing for him. Good on him for staying in there but those early rounds don't tell an accurate story.
Conor was fast in those early rounds. Very fast. His reflexes were very strong when be was fresh. He was moving his feet well, kept his head off the line, was moving his head and trying to time and counter. His pull counters are very similar to Floyd's himself.

It would've been risky for Floyd to just attack at that time. Floyd isnt the type to throw caution to the wind. He plays it safe. People need to understand this is a 40 year old Floyd who was 10 years past his prime.

Yet somehow people expect him to just charge a younger fighter

He allowed Conor to punch himself out, made him miss, attacked the body when he could. When Conor began to slow is when you seen Floyd start to open up.

Dragged him into deeper waters and drowned him.

The game plan was to let Conor gas out and then beat the hell out of him. The plan worked like a charm.

Watch the rematch, if it ever happens.
Money will melt Conor inside 4.

He did better than most people expected. That's the best way you can spin this story.

Pretty much the only thing I hear from people, especially here is that Floyd carried him. Nobody even says anything about the fight beyond that

But if you watch these first 4 rounds, Conor was fast, was moving his feet EXTREMELY well, his reflexes and head movement were strong, he was putting together some beautiful combos. He showed a very nice jab and was catching Floyd with it. He was timing Floyd and countering him pretty impressively. His pull counters are very much like Floyd's himself

Even Sugar Ray Leonard who was commentating, a top 5 all time boxing great, gave him credit both during and after the fight. Everyone from Larry Holmes to George Foreman to Tyson, Amir Khan, Adrien broner, Terrence Crawford legitimately showed him some love. Many of these guys vocally talked shit about Conor and the fight

By any Intelligent accounts, its virtually impossible to not objectively acknowledge that Conor demonstrated some impressive boxing ability in that fight.

He did get tired and punch himself out, Floyd took him into deep water and drowned them as was expected, but he showed very well for himself prior to that happening.

I just find it odd an mma fighter can have a performance like that in a boxing ring and get absolutely zero credit for it from the MMA community.

All the boxers showed a ton of honest respect , all the mma fighters, all the boxing analysts, everyone who knows the game gave credit where it's due. But not sherdog. The hate is that powerful where it just blinds reality

It's easier to just say Floyd carried him but the fight doesnt lie, anyone who knows boxing knows what happened.

On that note, people need to also realize that Floyd was a 40 year old man. He was fighting a guy who was faster, younger and had better reflexes than him and is known to be a counter fighter, along with being a southpaw.

He played it safe when he was fresh, hit the body hard, made him miss and took him into deeper waters and drowned him. Pretty simple stuff.

Floyd has genius level ring IQ and ability to adapt as well, during the fight Conor exposed his own lack of defense and weakness to forward pressure, which is where you seen Floyd move into an attacking strategy.

This is one example of how hate blinds and makes some of you people twist the truth.

Your Sherdog name of "Mescaline Dreams" prompts me to suggest that Mescaline is known for its hallucinogenic effects and thus your perception of reality might be altered...

Small victories. Condor fans need all the hope they can get.
It has nothing to do with Conor for me.

It had everything to do with shitty mma fans being dishonest and uneducated about their opinions

Conor just happens to be a magnet for a lot of these types.

Your Sherdog name of "Mescaline Dreams" prompts me to suggest that Mescaline is known for its hallucinogenic effects and thus your perception of reality might be altered...
Then argue it.

I've laid out my points well and they're rock solid.

I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to dispute it, go ahead.

giphy.gif

Would've been risky

Hes a 40 year old man a decade past his prime

Conor isnt an elite level boxer but he had great reflexes, moved his feet very well, he was moving his head well and he was known to be a counter fighter with similar pull counters to Floyd himself. Along with being a southpaw

Conor demonstrated some very nice combos, a strong jab

When he was fresh, it would've been risky for floyd to just move forward and attack, maybe he could've in his earlier years but not at his age and level of speed.

Floyd plays it safe as he always does. This fight was no different

Even with Floyd in full turtle mode, Conor was tagging him, not with anything super damaging but he was tagging him a fair bit

And I've been watching floyd since 2007. I know him very well. One of my biggest boxing inspirations since day 1. Hes the last guy to just allow himself to get hit.

Right, Floyd played it safe. He fought to his own advantage. How often does Floyd wreck his opponent early? Usually he runs around pitter patters and wins by decision or if he's lucky a late TKO. He's the best in the game at taking little damage/risk and winning. Conor is dangerous to anyone early on and Floyd knew he could take his time, use his experience, and wear him out and work him later on. His reflexes are starting to slow so he took a few shots, but was never in danger. It was hilarious how many casuals watched this fight and thought Conor stood a chance because he "looked good" early on.

Sherturds will never admit anything positive for Conor.

conor blew up out of nowhere like fidget spinners. the only person that had more of a hype train on sherdog was ronda rousey. i will admit at least conor was a good fighter

Two different sports.

If Conor commits to Boxing then yes he would be better to watch.

But small lungs problem LoL

conor blew up out of nowhere like fidget spinners. the only person that had more of a hype train on sherdog was ronda rousey. i will admit at least conor was a good fighter

If Conor's just a good fighter, makes you wonder what kind of fighters are behind him on the rankings.. :rolleyes:

I think its a myth Floyd carried him.

However, I have no doubt Floyd was letting Conor punch himself out and was planning to turn up the heat later in the fight. There was plenty of evidence prior to the fight Conor's cardio was a weakness.

Floyd executed his game plan, but I think there is a distinction between that and carrying someone.

mayweather-smile.jpg

This picture is after round 3, going into round 4. That is the look of a man that knows he's already won the fight.

Just to help people with the stats of this fight:

In round 1 Floyd threw 6 punches total.
In round 2 Floyd threw 10 punches total.
In round 3 Floyd threw 12 punches total.

Every subsequent round after that Floyd was throwing 30-70 punches. Which is 5 to 11 times the rate of activity of round 1. Floyd's inaction in rounds 1-3 tell you a tale of what was happening in the fight. He was simply testing Conor's abilities with no real intention of using offense yet. Why would he do this? Because he's the veteran in there. He's going to learn the timing of Conor's punches a hell of a lot faster than Conor is going to learn Floyd's timing.

Conor winning rounds 1-3 when he landed like 6 punches in all three rounds combined is probably the most delusional morale victory of all time.

Watch the rematch, if it ever happens.
Money will melt Conor inside 4.
Possibly, but I don't think so... I believe it's a simlar gameplan and similar result. It worked, he wouldn't need to adjust.... Conor would.

He has zero boxing fights and made his debut this way. 99% would've been completely embarrassed from start to finish against arguably the best boxer ever, even if older. He did amazingly well early on, even if he had no chance of winning.

Conor haters will never give any credit whatsoever to Conor. They'll even believe conspiracy theories ("he took a dive", "Mayweather carried him", etc) before giving him his dues.

Even in this thread you have morons claiming Floyd gives a shit about "giving the people a show", something he's never given a shit about, ever.
this

Back