Are we all in agreeance that Usman would OBLITERATE Masvidal?

You guys dont know jackshit about mma then. We have seen countless times strikers much superior to Jorge getting beat on their feet by wresslers. Why? There is always a takedown threat that throws their mojo out of the window. Even if Usman never shoots for a takedown, Jorge knows damn well that he can end up on his back at any moment. He wont be as smooth and careless. You will see a more tentative, stiff Jorge expecting to get td.

That said, their striking are not worlds apart. I like Jorge a lot but stop thinking that he is Marvin Hagler. Jorge has lost many times to lesser fighters.

In what fights have wrestlers oustruck high calibre strikers, when there’s been no wrestling?

Your claim seems false

You guys dont know jackshit about mma then. We have seen countless times strikers much superior to Jorge getting beat on their feet by wresslers. Why? There is always a takedown threat that throws their mojo out of the window. Even if Usman never shoots for a takedown, Jorge knows damn well that he can end up on his back at any moment. He wont be as smooth and careless. You will see a more tentative, stiff Jorge expecting to get td.

That said, their striking are not worlds apart. I like Jorge a lot but stop thinking that he is Marvin Hagler. Jorge has lost many times to lesser fighters.
Some examples would be great. Not saying that strikers haven't been outstruck by wrestlers who aren't as talented on the feet, but if you can provide some examples, it'd strengthen your argument. I'm not talking about clippy one punch ko's either. Jorge's never been finished in the UFC, and has only been tko'd once in 40+ fights. Usman isn't going to be the first to knock him out, and definitely not the first to do it on the feet. I'd bet a very, very large amount of money on it. You're talking about a guy who ate a massive Darren Till punch, got back up, and decapitated him a round later.

You're acting like their talent on the feet also is close. It's not even remotely similar. The fighter Jorge's become in the past year, is far better than he's ever been, and his boxing is probably the best in the division rn. Usman's isn't top 10. If he can't get Masvidal on the ground, he's in deep shit, and will probably get finished. You're also acting like Jorge would be stiff as a board throughout the fight. If he is stiff to begin with, a few stuffed takedowns will let him wake up a bit, and cause Usman to desperation wrestle.

Again, I'm not saying that Usman won't beat him. But the idea that he'll outclass one of the most confident and durable strikers in the UFC on the feet is a fucking joke.

Masvidal has to fight someone right now & who else is there for him if not Usman? Conor doesn't seem keen on the Jorge fight right now so if you look down the 170 Rankings Colby is still learning how to chew food again, Edwards is fighting Woodley, Maia & Thompson were terrible match-ups for Jorge but I suppose trying to avenge those losses could sell although both come as bad risk vs. reward fights for Masvidal. Maybe the Nate Diaz rematch or face Robbie for the BMF strap.

Jorge has got himelf into position to fight for the belt, anything else (apart from the huge money of facing Conor) will seem like a stepback.

I don't believe Usman obliterates him but I think he beats Jorge with a wrestling heavy gameplan. But imagine if Jorge pulls off another Hail Mary shot like he did against Askren & starches Usman. Then it would be a great move by the UFC as he could defend a legit title (rather than the toy shop BMF belt) against Conor who'd be going for the first ever UFC Champ Champ Champ in what would no doubt be the UFC's biggest fight.

And even if Jorge loses to Usman he'd still be a big name with big fights available to him, maybe positioned as someone Conor has to beat to get a 170 title shot.

From a business standpoint this is a bad matchup because I think Usman annihilates Masvidal, prob. a 1st round KO/sub, thus killing off the marketing sensation that is Jorge Masvidal right now. This is exactly why a Conor/Masvidal fight for the BMF title makes so much more sense. The marketing buildup and pressers would be absolutely ridiculous.

Usman should just hang out, see what happens with Edwards/Woodley and Conor/Masvidal. Meanwhile, we've still got Khabib/Ferguson. Not to mention, guys like Diaz, Thompson, Gaethje all hanging out. So many moving parts. The LW/WW division is pretty exiting right now. So many potential good matchups.
No. No one can predict the outcome with certainty. And nobody wants to see people repeatedly fight for the BMF "title". lol

/thread

In what fights have wrestlers oustruck high calibre strikers, when there’s been no wrestling?

Your claim seems false
Go watch Couture vs Liddell 2 vs Belfort x2, Khabib vs McGregor, Dc vs Gus. I could keep on and on...

Go watch Couture vs Liddell 2 vs Belfort x2, Khabib vs McGregor, Dc vs Gus. I could keep on and on...

All those fights included takedowns or attempted takedowns. You said Usman would outstrike Masvidal without ever attempting a takedown, which is extremely unlikely.

He will drag Maz into the deep end.

The question is, can Usman get KO'd in later rounds when Maz is tired? Maz seems to retain power relatively well even when tired.

It's possible, we've seen Usman wobbled before, and Maz is an animal.

I give this 70/30 odds to Usman.

Mas could def out strike him, so it comes down to how Usman wants to approach the fight. If he does it like he did against Woodley, Mas has little chance. But if it's like Covington, then I could see Mas winning.

If he wins it won't be an obliteration, it'll be through a heavy grappling/stalling gameplan.

Back