Are Valuev and Fury tied for the biggest reaches in boxing history?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Among top 15 pros at least. I can't find anyone else. Let me know if you know of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they're not. Julius Long (fittingly named) is taller and has a longer reach than both of them - but he is no where near the quality of boxer.

In terms of actual functionality, Fury has the same reach as Sonny Liston, but because he's 8 inches taller than Sonny that means he has to punch downwards at most of his opponents and by punching downwards loses some reach. I think that's probably why Fury does so much fighting on the inside despite being very tall. Sonny on the other hand was always punching straight out and making the most of that ridiculous reach.

When he would punch, it wouldn't look human.

No, they're not. Julius Long (fittingly named) is taller and has a longer reach than both of them - but he is no where near the quality of boxer.

In terms of actual functionality, Fury has the same reach as Sonny Liston, but because he's 8 inches taller than Sonny that means he has to punch downwards at most of his opponents and by punching downwards loses some reach. I think that's probably why Fury does so much fighting on the inside despite being very tall. Sonny on the other hand was always punching straight out and making the most of that ridiculous reach.

Speaking of Fury, tthere was a discussion on Sherdog about power and how waist elacticity is key. If you look at Fury throw right hands, he's stiff as a refigerator.. and correspondingly, he does not have much of a punch.

I say that because that man has got some SERIOUS arms.. Imagine if he could really torque into his punches.

Last edited:

Technically Liston is 84 and Fury 85 inches.

If you wanna get super specific

Liston definitely has the most freakish height to wingspan ratio....that's like some Giannis Antetokounmpo territory of lankiness

Efe Ajagba is like 88 or 86....something ridiculous

Liston definitely has the most freakish height to wingspan ratio....that's like some Giannis Antetokounmpo territory of lankiness

Reach is a weird one too, because I have a shorter reach on paper than some other guys at the gym, but have a longer reach than them in real life, because my arms are longer than there's, but they'll be broader in the shoulders

I think Sonny's ridiculous boulder fists have a lot to do with that too

100% disagree, a taller guy can lean forward to extend his reach and backwards to subtract his opponents reach, this far more consequential than the tiny loss of distance due to punching downward. Frankly arm length is less important than height when it comes to practical reach.

Besides he only punches downwards when fighting shorter guys, if Liston fought most of the tall modern day heavyweights, he'd be punching upward.

Reach is a weird one too, because I have a shorter reach on paper than some other guys at the gym, but have a longer reach than them in real life, because my arms are longer than there's, but they'll be broader in the shoulders
Wingspan is listed more than arm length...HBO back in the day used the arm reach instead

But yeah everyone fits differently, you and i could be same height and wingspan but look completely different from a lanky standpoint

My wingspan is only 5/6 inches longer than height but it looks like my arms and legs are meant to be on a person 6 inches taller....i have a short torso and long legs so my arms look longer than they really are, +5 or 6 inches isn't really uncommon at all

100% disagree, a taller guy can lean forward to extend his reach and backwards to subtract his opponents reach, this far more consequential than the tiny loss of distance due to punching downward. Frankly arm length is less important than height when it comes to practical reach.

Besides he only punches downwards when fighting shorter guys, if Liston fought most of the tall modern day heavyweights, he'd be punching upward.

Tall heavyweights lose reach when they punch down, I can tell you that from my own experience coaching. The most efficient way to maintain that reach is to lower the stance and bend at the knees and if you're only a few inches taller than average that's not an issue - but when you are a freak of nature who has to bend at the waste to get into doors it's not efficient because all of these movements become a lot easier to see.

haye-slips-reu_1518796i.jpg

Liston would have to punch upwards even when he was fighting, but the difference is that the arm extending upwards allows for more extension with the shoulder and lat, allowing for a longer jab or straight. That's why in good boxing schools (like Rafael Trejo's) you are taught to punch slightly upward:

Height's more important defensively, but if your defence isn't coming from proper footwork those physical attributes won't take you far. I think that's why Tyson Fury has developed the strange style that he uses.

Back