Are UFC fighters allowed to bet on themselves?

ArabPride99

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If I was a UFC fighter and I'm allowed to bet on myself, wouldn't that be a good way of 'earning' extra income?

I mean take Demetrious Johnson's run for example... he complained about the money he was making even though he was on a ridiculous winning streak.

Had he bet on himself winning every fight, he would've made so much more money.

Especially with the way he fights (lots of decisions) he can just win on points and always bet a decision win giving him pretty decent odds overall.

If they are allowed to bet on themselves, do we have any examples of fighters betting on themselves?

But then you might have a Pete Rose situation. Bet on the other guy and lose on purpose.

They are not, no. Conflict of interest. Imagine DJ knows he is nearing the end of his career and decides to take a dive while investing a million on a 5 to 1 underdog to make 5 million

But then you might have a Lete Rose situation. Bet on the other guy and lose on purpose.
In my opinion, betting against yourself should be illegal for obvious reasons.

I'm talking about betting on yourself to win and how to win (submission, ko, what round etc...)

They are not, no. Conflict of interest. Imagine DJ knows he is nearing the end of his career and decides to take a dive while investing a million on a 5 to 1 underdog to make 5 million

Once again, bet on yourself to win not lose.

Losing part, yes clearly illegal

lol sherdoggers worried itt about fighters taking a huge part of their income by diving for bets.

In my opinion, betting against yourself should be illegal for obvious reasons.

I'm talking about betting on yourself to win and how to win (submission, ko, what round etc...)
My guess is that common sense dictates this, it is probably illegal to bet on you losing but iirc Floyd has put bets on himself to win.

lol sherdoggers worried itt about fighters taking a huge part of their income by diving for bets.

So after a 20 fight career, you have maybe $5 million net worth. You are about to fight against a guy who is a 5 to 1 underdog. Absurd to think you might take 3 million and put it on your opponent to suddenly be worth several times what you made in 20 fights prior?

I'm convinced Michael Jordan did it

So after a 20 fight career, you have maybe $5 million net worth. You are about to fight against a guy who is a 5 to 1 underdog. Absurd to think you might take 3 million and put it on your opponent to suddenly be worth several times what you made in 20 fights prior?

I was talking about sherdoggers betting on a ton of fights. I already figured most still live at home being taken care of by their mom so the fight bets are their lazy way of generating some income.

One day the sherdogger has to face the real world and get a job.

UFC fighters can bet on themselves but not against themselves.

And betting is not a source of income. If every fighter did that that, the fighters as a group would lose money to the bookies.

To be a reliably winning gambler, you have to 1) be good at predicting fights, 2) be able to detect odds to take advantage of and 3) bet sensible amounts on a large number of fights.

Betting only on yourself is not a viable gambling strategy because 1) you have no guarantee you will be given a good odd each fight and 2) you are the worst person to have an unbiaised assessment of your chances and 3) the number of fights to bet on is too small to protect you from variance.

Back