Are TUF'ers consistently underrated?

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion' started by EndlessCritic, May 11, 2014.

1. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

I'd like to see some detailed numbers on this. Last night alone, there were 8 TUF'ers on the card. ALL 8 were underdogs in their respective fights. And the result? They went 6-2.

Brown (7), Costas (11), Cruickshank (15), Magny (16), Herman (3), and Cummings (17) all pulled off upsets.

Wall (Smashes) and Gamburyan (5) lost as underdogs.

2. CouchPro**

CouchPro** Blue Belt

There were 17+ TUF seasons already?

I remember waiting on them to come on, now I wait on them to go away.

3. theanticool

theanticool Brown Belt

Yup. Aside from 16, each season turns out some good fighters. Not all fight for the title but they go on and have good careers in the UFC.

TUF 14's has two guys who have or will fight for a title already in Dodson and TJ. Bermudez is on a 6 fight winning streak since the show ended. Caraway's been good so far. Delorme's been solid since joining. Though he's only 5-3, Siler's been a great add to the FW division. Gaudinot's been in a couple of good fights.
    TUF 15 turned out Michael Chiesa, Al Iaquinta, Myles Jury, James Vick, James Krause, and Daron Cruickshank.
    TUF 17 turned out Kevlin Gastelum, Luke Barnatt, and Clint Hester (all undefeated since joining the UFC). Plus Hall and Samman have potential to be good.

Their presence may not always be felt right away ranking-wise but some TUF fighters grow into really good, sometimes great fighters (i.e. Matt Brown).

4. billo2007**

billo2007** Blue Belt

I dont get the TUF bashing. These guys are bloody high level MMA fighters for gods sake before they enter the house.

Some bloody good fighters with big hearts coming from the house consistently theanticool made a good post there. Spot on for me.

Obviously there is a lack of title challengers because the best fighters dont need to go through the house. Its common sense really...

5. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

I think that recently Koscheck's career has become a little underappreciated

people point out his lack of top ten wins, but overall, the guy has a very solid resume filled with guys who were MMA legends or proved their worth later

6. benjaminbuttons

benjaminbuttons Banned Banned

Ya they are and i dont really get it. Ppl act like someone has a gun to their heads forcing them to watch every week.

Its a great way to weed out the good prospects. Ya every once in a while you get a poor season, but even that is rare with the American TUF.

BTW Yan Cabral is also from TUF.

7. MuayThaiRulz

MuayThaiRulz Yellow Belt

Ya definitely underrated

8. tjnickels

tjnickels Purple Belt

I think they are underrated due to the success of the first few seasons. Fighters up until season five have fought for titles ( Dodson in season 14 did too.) Therefore, when seasons don't produce high top-10 level fighters people are disappointed. Every season has at least a couple noteworthy fighters that come from it.

9. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Pretty much every TUF season produces some good fighters. I would say most TUF seasons has a guy make it somewhere into the top 15 of the weightclass too. I can't think of a TUF season in which no one cracked the top 15. The only one that might happen to is TUF16.

10. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

magny didn't look that bad last night.

in fact, i think magny has a better chance of cracking the top 15 at this point than ferguson.

11. dawnignited

dawnignited Thug Rose, Thug Rose, Thug Rose

Magny definitely is. I think people are finally coming around on Brown, and I don't think Daron was underrated in his last fight so much as Koch was overrated.