Are thin plastic eye goggles/covers out of the question from mma?

It wouldn't work. The ref should just carry a pair of bolt cutters. If you poke an eye, you lose a finger. I think that's more than fair.

There are two very easy solutions. 1. Better gloves. 2. Actually start taking points for eyepokes or fighting with extended fingers. The UFC and the commissions have failed to implement either solution so obviously they don't really care about eyepokes.

There is no downside that I can see to taking points away for eyepokes. Seems like a no-brainer.

Wow..

That guy surely gets all the ladies.
And when he gets startled his lower eyelids (skin below goes eyes, let's call then that ;-)) cover his eyes and he starts bleeding profusely . Jesus, what a moron.

Ones that stick on with an adhesive?

View attachment 718553

Something similar to these stick on bifocals but thin and plastic to protect eyes.

These eye pokes are out of control and I hate them.
AnotherYoungAmericanalligator-size_restricted.gif

For the eye shields:

- What sort of adhesive is going to hold in place when a punch lands?
- Could the plastic or adhesive do more eye damage is it shifted or was dislodged by a punch or combination of punches/kicks that make it shift and could drive it into an eye from a fully legal strike?
- If it could shift, would the ref have to stop the fight any time it has moved to get it reattached properly or replaced?

To me, it just makes more sense if the gloves were changed to Pride style and/or have refs warn fighters about eye pokes and extended fingers in the locker room and deduct a point the first time it occurs. If you are a fighter, this shouldn't be something that gets you multiple warnings in a fight. It should be pretty common knowledge at this level of the sport for the fighters. Most sports on the planet dont stop and warn an athlete they are doing something dangerous or against the rules, they are penalized for it on the spot.

Give them a helmet now that you are at it...

No, the solution cant be on the fighters' face, it needs to be on the gloves, wether is closed end gloves or a curved design, the latter seems to be the ideal route imo.

How about helmets and bullet proof vest too?
Anderson Silva wants shin guards too

This thread happens approximately every 6 months and it's hilarious everytime someone suggests some form of goggles.

We must be due a "make the walls of the cage out of perspex " thread soon.

I think the best way to discourage fighters from cheating during fights is to allow the ref to view replays of infractions before making the official call on the fight.

Maybe even introduce a secondary ref who makes notes of infractions. If the secondary ref catches it, he can notify the primary ref who can give a fighter a warning in between rounds. If it happens again, stop the action for an immediate point deduction, call for a point deduction in between rounds, or make the announcement before the final call, and let fans see the replays so the ref can justify his decisions.

This would allow the ref to not only uphold the rules, which would discourage guys from taking advantage of loopholes (eye pokes, late hits, grabbing on to stuff, etc.) but would also allow the momentum of the fight to keep rolling.

Just make it an automatic point deduction. There's no other use for a 10 pt scoring round anyway.

Just make it an automatic point deduction. There's no other use for a 10 pt scoring round anyway.

Another poster mentioned this, because they already went over the rules in the locker room. That was their warning. That makes sense.

My only reservation about that is accidentals, like headbutts, groin shots, etc. If you have it automatic, it eliminates the context.

Back