Are these top contender gloves any good?

JamesToneyMMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've heard little good and a lot of bad from top contenders super soft glove. But I'm wondering if any body can shed some light on these Top Contender Classic Sparring Gloves. On sale for 20$ and were 40$. I'm deciding whether I should pick up two of these or just get one pair of the IMFS at ringside that are 40$ for one pair.

Top Contender Classic Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com

My experience is you get what you pay for. I've purchased the low priced Stitch gear, low priced Title equipment, and generic UFC stuffs, and they all pale in comparison to the real deal. Luckily, many sites offer legit equipment for sale prices, so if you're a bargain hunter like me then you can score some quality equipment for a low price.

That being said, I'd stay away from cheap stuff with a bad rep and go with what's safe, especially if you plan on using it for long-term.

These gloves are made of leather and besides theres a 20% discount so I'll just talk with my friend because he's the one paying half anyway. From what I see these might be good or bad and I'm willing to take that risk.

These gloves are made of leather and besides theres a 20% discount so I'll just talk with my friend because he's the one paying half anyway. From what I see these might be good or bad and I'm willing to take that risk.
I thought the same thing a few years ago, when I bought a pair of Top Contender gloves that were on sale for $20. The lining ripped out of one glove the first time I used them.

I was thinking about buying a pair of these for my son but decided against it. For $30 shipped, I figured Id throw in a little more cash and get him a proven quality glove.

Edit: Unless someone gives these a thumbs up.

I am not sure whether you do boxing or MT, and I know Everlast gets a bad rap on their low end gear, but these are on sale for a pretty good mark down. I have never seen or used them, but for the price, they may be worth looking at. Originally $99.99 and on sale for $29.95.

Everlast Pro Leather Thai Style Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com

:icon_chee

When you can get IMFs for $40, anything else is kind of silly

Alright I guess I'll go with the imfs. The everlast that you showed I've never heard of or seen, so I'd rather stay away from them :icon_chee. The pro everlast on ringside for 35$ which used to be 99$ I've heard were good but I'd rather get the imfs. Thanks for the help guys. The shipping from combatsports was a bit high, but the 20% made it well worth the price but I guess I'll go with the imfs.

Last edited:
Those look EXACTLY like Fairtex gloves except with a mesh palm
OMG your right and by exactly its the same exact glove! The mesh palm is probably a good thing, these gloves might actually be really good. (With the 20% discount I'd think they are a steal at 24$)

Last edited:
Top Contender is a basic, entry level gear, I have had plenty of thier gear over the years and while it suffices, it doesnt last like it should. For people that hit hard and push hard in their training, other, better options are available. Top Contender is a good place to start but better off spending money on better, longer lasting gear

Top Contender is a basic, entry level gear, I have had plenty of thier gear over the years and while it suffices, it doesnt last like it should. For people that hit hard and push hard in their training, other, better options are available. Top Contender is a good place to start but better off spending money on better, longer lasting gear
I only spar 2 times a week would these suffice?

I would still save up money and go for something A little higher end, in the long run it will be better for your pocketbook and training

My friend was eager to purchase the top contender but I told him the shipping was 11$ so I'll just have to wait till my Imfs come and I'll try to make a review on them :icon_chee

Back