Are these fighters legends or not (Poll #3)

How can you put Marco Ruas on a poll of possibly not being a legend? The guy was the "first hero of vale tudo" and the guy who the Gracies avoided...He was also the first to create a system that all MMA fighters generally use today; his own hybrid art of Ruas Vale Tudo which incorporated his Luta Livre/BJJ knowledge with his striking background (Muay Thai/boxing). The guy was undefeated in Brazil and owned 6 black belts in 6 separate disciplines...He was also the first to show the effectiveness of leg kicks and first to use footstomps in the octagon. This guy is a legend without question.

That is exactly why I voted yes.

I don't know how anyone votes against Aldo he is undeniably the GOAT in his weight division.

I voted exactly opposite to this.

Why?

imo there is really no argument that can be made against Aldo being a legend

Machida has a far better resume than those other three

Pulver's quality wins are: BJ, Uno, and Hallman (you could also throw in Joe Stevenson)

Ruas's quality win is pretty much just Goodridge

Idk what Kazuo's quality wins are, probably just Suzuki imo, Kazuo lost pretty much every time he faced a good fighter

Now Machida's quality wins are: Mousasi, Hendo, Couture, Shogun, Rashad, and Tito (you could also throw in Bader and Silva)

Looking at it realistically without the nostalgia glasses on Machida has had a far better career than any of those three

EXACTLY!!!

Ruas is the definition of a legend. Machida has too many "split" or "close" decisions to call him legend. If Machida is legend, why isn't Shogun or Rampage mentioned as well. Shogun is more deserving and Rampage unified the UFC and Pride belts. I don't think any of them (Rampage, Shogun, or Machida) are technically legends yet. Come on.

Aldo is on his way, but not there yet.

Jens, I'm not feeling. He was pretty good, but not on the same page as the likes of Anderson, GSP, Fedor, Royce, and Matt Serra......come on.

I'm going to give you the same answer I gave the guy above and also Shogun and Rampage aren't included because it is a multi-thread poll and the TS hasn't gotten to them yet

When Aldo's career is done I think he will be considered a legend, but I wouldn't call him one yet.

Pulver - He was 1st 155 champ and has fought a whose who of the division, I don't see him as a legend. Seems like a nice enough guy & a hard worker but just not a legend.

Aldo - Like Rousey I think he will be a legend as he is so dominant and has ruled over his weight class for a while now + has the potential to be a 2 divisional champ

Takahashi - This guy had insane toughness / durability / heart whatever you want to call it. I am sure the tail end of his career was him hanging on way to long / trying to make ends meet etc so I can't hold that against the guy. He is definitely an old school legend.

Machida - While a really good fighter I can't see him as a legend. Perhaps if he wins another title and has a decent amount of defenses (maybe 3 or 4) he can be a legend but as of now I would say no.

Ruas - Definitely an old school legend!

EXACTLY!!!

Ruas is the definition of a legend. Machida has too many "split" or "close" decisions to call him legend. If Machida is legend, why isn't Shogun or Rampage mentioned as well. Shogun is more deserving and Rampage unified the UFC and Pride belts. I don't think any of them (Rampage, Shogun, or Machida) are technically legends yet. Come on.

Aldo is on his way, but not there yet.

Jens, I'm not feeling. He was pretty good, but not on the same page as the likes of Anderson, GSP, Fedor, Royce, and Matt Serra......come on.

lol I missed this.

What exactly did Page and Shogun have to do with this poll and Machida?

When Aldo's career is done I think he will be considered a legend, but I wouldn't call him one yet.

And that is why I didn't vote yes for him. Machida may enter that territory again.

Pulver - first UFC lightweight champ = Legend, Ruas - another person to be one of the first to cross train = LEGEND, Aldo - imo the P4P king and top 3 of all time = Legend, Machida - no explanation needed......Legend, Takahashi - dude fought the likes of Rutten, K.Shamrock, Semmy Schiltt, Joshy Barnett, Manhoef, Vernon White, Herring, Wallid Ismail, Funaki, Kondo, Igor V, he fought in tournaments where he fought multiple times in one night, was most likely naturally 175-185 pounds but fought guys in the 200-260+ pound range,the guys a fucking legend and those who disagree are those who have only watched the mma monopoly UFC and in all honesty don't know jack shit about anything mma before 2007!

Back