Are These Fighters Legends or Not? (Poll #10)

Sadly it is "No" all the way down for me on this one.

same for me. I take the word "legendary" a little more strictly (although on second thought, a fat Samoan that used to knock people out by sitting on their face is pretty legendary)

All of the fighters on the list made their own little mark on the sport. All will be remembered and talked about by those who watched them for years. All were significant in some way. Is that not what a legend is?

The smashing machine is the only legend on there. If Hunt were to win a title then he'd join the ranks I think.

I said yes to Diaz albeit he hasn't reached it in terms of his fights. Legendary MMA Personality for sure.

Hunt has an interesting story behind him, that doesn't make him a legend for me though, a fan favourite yes, but legend no.

I voted no for all.

Nope to all. They are veterans. Not legends. There are only 20 or so legends. Minowa etc are not legends at all.

Mark Kerr is easily a legend, and I think very few on these lists are.

To me, to be legendary, a fighter must have excelled in AT LEAST 1, or more likely accomplished in MORE than 1 of the following:

A) A champion, multiple times or w/multiple orgs.
B) A crossover name in mainstream culture
C) A part of incredibly memorable in-fight moments

His qualifications include:

A)
1) Champion in multiple organizations
2) Was highly successful in both MMA and ADCC

B)

1) How many fighters have had successful movies? Maybe 3. But his was solely focused on him, and solely focused on MMA (unlike captain America or ATeam)
His charismatic personality caused The Smashing Machine to be a huge success for what was basically a home movie shot on a camcorder. There are many fight documentaries, but Mark Kerr has the most well known documentary ever.
2) Was on Celebrity Rehab, just another example of his crossover into mainstream culture.

C)

1) In a time when there were many talented fighters, he was easily the most feared in his division.
2) On multiple occasions, OPPONENTS LITERALLY SCRAMBLED OUT OF THE RING FROM HIM. NO OTHER FIGHTER CAN CLAIM THAT.
3) He knocked himself out. How many can say that?

PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL THINGS ON THE LIST:

3) THEY LITERALLY CHANGED THE RULES BECAUSE OF HIM.
People will bring up the steroids and painkillers as the cause of his downfall, but he was always open and honest about both.

BUT NOONE EVER SOLVED HIS TD/HEADBUTT COMBO.
HIS KNEES ON THE GROUND WERE NEARLY AS DAMAGING.

You can trace his decline directly to when they changed the rules.

People forget because its been 15yrs, and he was fighting at a time very few knew of him. today he would easily be the biggest star. no joke. maybe not a champ (but maybe) but definitely popular.

Chael and Connor have proven you don't need to be champ to be popular.

Lol at the idea of Nick fucking Diaz being a legend. Imo none of the guys on the poll are. Kerr and Hunt are close due to being pioneers.

Are there too many of these polls ?

Nope.

Basically I included for the most part fighters that Sherdoggers nominated for consideration. Some I felt didn't deserve to be even considered, but to be fair to those fans that nominated, I put them in there. I was suprised to see some people get so many votes, and more heart sunken to see some of my personal legends not get enough.

I think it would be interesting to correlate the results with join dates.....

The fans who didn't really watch the guys during their primes are gonna be much more inclined to vote no.

I picked yes to all besides smith.....

Back