Are These Fighters Legends or Not (Poll#1)

This first poll is easy for me. They are all legends in my book. The poll will close in 1 month.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just put each name down once and have people just choose whoever they think is and not choose who isn't?

So someone said that Chuck is both a legend and not a legend?

Wouldn't it have been easier to just put each name down once and have people just choose whoever they think is and not choose who isn't?

You would think, but I've found that when it comes to a sherdog poll, you need to explain how to do it very thoroughly in the poll itself. So it needs to say "This one means 'Yes he is a legend' and this one means 'No he is not a legend.' If I just said pick the legends, people might pick one and say, "I didn't know I could vote for more than one." Or "I voted for him beacuse he is a legend and I voted for him because he is not a legend....hey wait, I don't get it."

So no, you need a very detailed voting system on Sherdog.

So someone said that Chuck is both a legend and not a legend?

If we get a big enough number, we will have to assume there are some dumbass anamolies, but in the end they won't outweigh the data.

BJ definitely is (still the only legitimate 2 division champ in my view). As much as I don't care for Chuck, his success in his prime coupled with his popularity makes him one. Though Henderson's resume looks better on paper than it actually is reality (in my opinion), his longevity, success over weight classes and general toughness makes him a legend in this young sport. Severn and Frye are not legends at least according to how I view the term.

Liddell: Yes

Hendo: Yes

BJ: Yes

Frye: I'm not sure.

Severn: I think so.

I've looked at Penn's career time & time again. There's nothing there that makes him a legend. He only beat one great fighter while that fighter was in his prime, Hughes.
He lost to prime Pulver, prime GSP, Diaz, young Rory and 3x to Edgar. Often getting destroyed.

I say yes to Liddell, Hendo and BJ. I believe Severn is and I am on the fence about whether I would consider Frye a legend.

I don't use the term legend lightly so I went with

BJ - Yes
Hendo - Yes
Chuck - Yes

Severn - No
Frye - No

They are all legends.

This poll thread is related to this thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/legend-not-legend-2898905/

And there will be several more poll threads related to that thread in the not too distant future.

I like the idea of multiple polls addressing this same question with different fighter selections, then when it is all said and done we will be able to compile a legitimate list of fighters that the majority of sherdog consider to be legends

Imo anyone with over a 75% legend votes should go on the final list of fighters that sherdog considers legends

If MMA is a thing in say, 50 years, I don't know that someone like Henderson would be considered a legend. I feel like his resume on paper is better than it actually is. Most of his best wins back in the day were contentious decisions and I never considered him the top of any weight class he competed in.

Severn and Frye were good in the very early days, though if you put their best victories on paper out they don't seem as spectacular. The sport just seems so different now than from when they were relevant.

If there were an MMA hall of fame I could see the argument they all go in. But I considered legend to be a bit more distinctive than that. Baseball has hundreds of hall of famers but very few legends. John Smoltz will likely be a baseball hall of famer on the first ballot, but I doubt anyone will go around saying "John Smoltz was a legend".

You would think, but I've found that when it comes to a sherdog poll, you need to explain how to do it very thoroughly in the poll itself. So it needs to say "This one means 'Yes he is a legend' and this one means 'No he is not a legend.' If I just said pick the legends, people might pick one and say, "I didn't know I could vote for more than one." Or "I voted for him beacuse he is a legend and I voted for him because he is not a legend....hey wait, I don't get it."

So no, you need a very detailed voting system on Sherdog.

Yeah but the way it is now people can vote that fighter X both is and isn't a legend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back