Are these actually DLR Sweeps?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SummerStriker, Jan 8, 2015.

1. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but I was wondering if these sweeps qualify as DLR sweeps in your (brain trusts) minds. I like doing them, but I didn't really think of coming up to a single or switching to a tripod sweep from DLR as actual DLR sweeps.

What say you?

[YT]XC8m1QWZtQM[/YT]

2. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

I say those are both legitimate uses of the DLR hook.

3. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

It a typical tripod sweep.
    I do not know why he had to over complicate it by switching to dlr and then back to tripod.
    Notice he made a mistake with his dlr set up as the non dlr hook should be blocking the knee instead of being the knee.

For me dlr is a continuation of tripod sweep as uke grabs your foot of his hip and you "hide" behind his knee known as the dlr hook.

4. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

That's a pretty clever way of explaining it.

So then once you are in the DLR, I'm having a hard time finding a concise sweep chain I'm happy with practicing. There are so many and I feel like a lot of them are actually gi techniques or just aren't very strong. When I'm rolling, sometimes I'll start the gi variation of a sweep without wrist control to get them to post their hand, then grab their wrist and finish it, but that's really ham-fisted. Any advice?

5. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Yeah, the DLR is very different in MMA. You know how people are always talking about controlling distance in the guard? When someone is trying to punch you you get a real feel for how important that actually is, and the DLR hook is great for helping control the distance. The fact that the sweeps don't involve the hook isn't very important, the key is that you HAVE to have the hook to keep from getting punched and these are sweeps you can transition to quickly from DLR. If you practice MMA sweeps from generic open guards where you're not controlling the distance well, you just end up getting hit. Learn to use the hook to control distance and unbalance the top guy, and then get good at transitioning quickly.

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I prefer dlr for gi only.

I prefer rdlr for nogi.

I would just stick to tripod for mma.

Edit: I teach all the guards but I also teach the reasons why you use each and why you need to transit to the next guard available given the situation.
    The importance is not having an awesome one guard but being able to recognise once someone is about to beat your guard and the requeriment to switch to the next.

Ie. uke insists on opening your closed guard on his knees: switch to spider guard to relieve some pressure.

The uke stand up from closed guard, switch to tripod if a foot is available for control.

Uke takes the foot away from the hip, switch to dlr

Uke takes the dlr hook switch to rdlr.

Uke pushes down the non dlr hook switch to sit up guArd.

Etc..

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  7. Uchi Mata

DLR is handy for MMA because it's really, really easy for the top guy to just throw your foot off his hip and get a punch in, whereas peeling the hook is much harder.

8. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

100%.

Working the DLR hook also brings you off-center, which is handy for not getting punched in the grill.

9. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

concur.

"The uke stand up from closed guard, switch to tripod if a foot is available for control.

Uke takes the foot away from the hip, switch to dlr "

10. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

IMO having names for very specific positions is good for talking about them when you aren't able to demonstrate them, but detrimental to your thought process, as it creates artificial mental boundaries and categories.

11. Uchi Mata

That's too slow. In MMA, I don't just take your foot off my hip. I throw it off, because I'm not worried about control so much as getting an opening to close distance and strike. You need to go straight to the hook because I can't throw that off. If I'm trying to pass I have to control you through the motion. If I just want to hit you, all I need is a small opening.

12. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Yeah the exact name really doesn't matter that much in reality.

Names are really useful on F12. In real life, not so much.

13. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I still rather attempt a tripod sweep first instead of going for your option which is straight to DLR.

I guess he will have to be in a square stance for a tripod sweep to work compare to an orthodox stance which will not be good for a tripod sweep (therefore a DLR hook would be more suitable).

14. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

What about a tomahawk sweep? That seems like something I can spaz into immediately when the opponent is in a staggered stance.