Are There Really 7 Planes of Existence?

Kick Strickland

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In teachings held by psychics and other esoteric authors there are 7 planes of existence.

Most esoteric teachings are in agreement that seven planes of existence exist; however, many different metaphysical schools label the planes of existence with different terminology.

Physical plane

The physical plane or physical universe refers to the visible reality of space and time, energy and matter: the physical universe in esoteric cosmology is the lowest or densest of a series of planes of existence.

According to Theosophists, after the physical plane is the etheric plane and both of these planes are connected to make up the first plane. Theosophy also teaches that when the physical body dies the etheric body is left behind and the soul forms into an astral body on the astral plane.

The psychical researcher F. W. H. Myers proposed the existence of a

Last edited:
Just saw an Ancient Aliens episode about the power of 3. They had a segment on the pineal gland (our 3rd eye) that was really thought provoking. I didn't know that the gland was actually light sensitive and has similarities to our actual eyes. At least this was according to that show, so I take whatever that show says with a grain of salt. I do want to go wiki the pineal gland now, though.

Thread bump:

Ok this is from a book I read regarding the 7 planes:

Level 1 (the closet plane to earth) is the place many have spoken of hell. Purgatory and other such religious terms, but that is not what it is in truth. As I have told you, many people who have not lived good lives or have lived very bad lives will come to this place.

Level 2: Most people will quickly pass through or around level 1, and enter into what we call the second level of existence. This is very much a transitional place where we have healing sanctuaries. It is often said you speak of Heaven upon Earth when you are very happy. That would be a very good description of this level. Communication is allowed between loved ones in your world and our world.

Level 3: The third level is a very wonderful place. This is the place that would be known as nirvana, beyond your understanding at the moment. Some who have lived wonderful loves on your plane or who have inspired others come straight to this plane (after death). However, generally, almost everyone has to spend time in realm two.

Level 4: Material things are of no importance whatsoever, and often on this level of existence groups of spirits combine to influence an bring change, and understanding to those in the levels below them. Earthly medical cures and inventions come from inspiration from this level.

Level 5: To progress to this level is exceeding hard. This is a place that is totally unphysical, a true celestial heaven if you like, a pathway looked to by great spiritual beings such as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus.

Level 6: This level is a place of cosmic consciousness where great souls merge in the total oneness of a universal existence

Level 7: Is beyond all comprehension, either materially or physically. It is what every soul ultimately progresses towards. Ultimately, all experiences in your earth world and in the spirit levels progress towards a final oneness that is complete and total perfection.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Death-Conditions-Philip-Solomon/dp/1571742026

What got me thinking about this, is that today I read a BBC article

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33860994

where scientists have discovered that the rapid eye movements associated with REM sleep, use almost identical brain patterns and the same brain circuitry that we use when we are awake. They theorize that the eye movements does not indicate "looking around your dream environment" but rather they indicate a total change in dream scenery. Like changing the channel.

One scientist says "This study endorses other findings that REM sleep has many similarities to wakefulness.
"I see REM sleep as rather like the screensaver on your computer; all you need is the touch of a button and your computer leaps to life. It's very close to wakefulness. Non-REM sleep is more like when you switch your computer off, and waking up requires a process of rebooting."

They also made sure to mention that we do not understand why humans need REM sleep or why we have that particular circuitry. I began to think of what I read about the Astral Plane of existence, and I wondered if lucid dreaming is actually being able to enter another plane of existence. We think of dreams as these fictitious fragments of imagination. But what if they are real? Are they another form of existence? What if the reason we have REM sleep and dreams built into our hardware, is simply to access the astral plane?

I find this stuff fascinating. One thing I know for certain, reality is FAR more complex than we realize.

Last edited:
here we go again with humans trying to explain the universe in "human" terms.... energy is limitless, the universe is infinite, the possibilities of energy in the universe are limitless, way outside of the limited human intelligence.

I think there is and Ronda saw all of em last week.

And if in our dreams we are actually entering the astral plane, what does that say about our thoughts? Are our thoughts real, on the Mental Plane of existence? Some thoughts come into reality (the Physical Plane of existence), and some do not.

But anything man has ever done or created, started out as a thought. Maybe that thought traveled from the mental plane into the physical plane?

I am an absolute expert at lucid dreaming. if you have any questions about it, you can pm me. Initially, because of my interactions in my own dreams, i believed it to be a closed area of my own subconsciousness. But now, i am not sure that is completely true.

So anyway, level 2 is where most people go apparently. Its like a replica of earth. You still have your same body, minus any pain, injuries... you don't need to sleep or eat, but you can if you like. There are cities, villages, towns, all of the countries are represented. You don't need a house, but people have them. You can work if you want. But there is no money. People play sports, read, research, go to classes, basically whatever they want to do.

And you create things instantly with your thoughts. If you say think of an apple, it appears before you. If you think of having sex with beautiful women, you can have that too.

Agreed. Atheists are the most vocal out of any religions on the internet. And I never understood that. If you don't believe in anything, why the fuck do they always feel the need to tell people about it? If I didn't believe in anything, I wouldn't have shit to say, or give a damn about people who did believe. Don't know why they can't not believe quietly, lol. But even atheists could believe in different dimension and planes of existence, as long as you framed it to them in terms of science (the modern religion that tells people what truth is :rolleyes: )

Atheism isn't a religion; it's a denial of the claim that God(as he's generally defined) exists. And no, atheists do not have to prove anything; the burden of proof lies with those making the positive claim. But you probably already know that.

Also, if you're going to define atheism as a religion, then go on to complain about how they never shut up, how would think non-theists feel getting Christianity(talking the U.S. here) shoved in their faces 24/7? And science is not "modern religion". Blind faith, which is a prereq for all major religions, is pretty much the antithesis of what science actually is. Just my .02.

The emerald tablets of thoth and the law of one by Ra talk about this stuff... Very very interedasting

here we go again with humans trying to explain the universe in "human" terms.... energy is limitless, the universe is infinite, the possibilities of energy in the universe are limitless, way outside of the limited human intelligence.

If they are outside of human intelligence, how did you describe them in human terms? Energy is a human abstraction. Quantity. Space. Time. You just totally confined them to human understanding. In human conceptions.

Time and space are what we make objects "swim" in. Quantity for example. I could label you and your wife as 2. I can make you a quantity for a particular purpose. I can make you "2", but you aren't actually 2. You aren't even 1. You are whatever you need to be for whatever we need you for. You are one and many. Everything and nothing.

If they are outside of human intelligence, how did you describe them in human terms? Energy is a human abstraction. Quantity. Space. Time. You just totally confined them to human understanding. In human conceptions.

Time and space are what we make objects "swim" in. Quantity for example. I could label you and your wife as 2. I can make you a quantity for a particular purpose. I can make you "2", but you aren't actually 2. You aren't even 1. You are whatever you need to be for whatever we need you for. You are one and many. Everything and nothing.

I think you just blew my mind, Jones!

Thread bump:

Ok this is from a book I read regarding the 7 planes:

Level 1 (the closet plane to earth) is the place many have spoken of hell. Purgatory and other such religious terms, but that is not what it is in truth. As I have told you, many people who have not lived good lives or have lived very bad lives will come to this place.

Level 2: Most people will quickly pass through or around level 1, and enter into what we call the second level of existence. This is very much a transitional place where we have healing sanctuaries. It is often said you speak of Heaven upon Earth when you are very happy. That would be a very good description of this level. Communication is allowed between loved ones in your world and our world.

Level 3: The third level is a very wonderful place. This is the place that would be known as nirvana, beyond your understanding at the moment. Some who have lived wonderful loves on your plane or who have inspired others come straight to this plane (after death). However, generally, almost everyone has to spend time in realm two.

Level 4: Material things are of no importance whatsoever, and often on this level of existence groups of spirits combine to influence an bring change, and understanding to those in the levels below them. Earthly medical cures and inventions come from inspiration from this level.

Level 5: To progress to this level is exceeding hard. This is a place that is totally unphysical, a true celestial heaven if you like, a pathway looked to by great spiritual beings such as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus.

Level 6: This level is a place of cosmic consciousness where great souls merge in the total oneness of a universal existence

Level 7: Is beyond all comprehension, either materially or physically. It is what every soul ultimately progresses towards. Ultimately, all experiences in your earth world and in the spirit levels progress towards a final oneness that is complete and total perfection.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Death-Conditions-Philip-Solomon/dp/1571742026

Interesting reading, thanks BA!

7 deadly sins...7 planes of existence...CR7...i think you see where i'm going wit this...

It's easy if you interpret everything in the text subjectively(ironic considering its used to back up claims made by literalists), to reverse engineer the entire book to fit your own world view.

I went to the astral plane twice

Shit was lit

I just watched an episode of Ancient Aliens (it's a silly show but sometimes it's brain candy) and it was really interesting. It was about dark forces (demons) and the forces of light (angels). Of course the show was trying to make the viewer consider these beings extra terrestrials. But imo it's more likely to be the opposite: demons posing as aliens.

But it brought up a fascinating concept that I've thought about before....that interdimensional entities (whatever you want to label them as) are opposing each other as we speak. I've always considered this to be the war of good vs evil. But it was saying that entities that exist in certain dimensions have NO PHYSICAL FORM, and they try to influence us, since we exist in the physical realm. Their struggle against each other spills over into our physical reality.

It also got into Rasputin, and Alastair Crowley and his drawing of that entity he contacted that he called "Lam." It was one of the better episodes I've seen of that show. And that Lam drawing by Crowley was fucking creepy.

I like this passage by William James. How the abstract world, or heaven, is like the air above water. The air replishnesses us but is not breathable as air, only through the medium of water. And though it isn't necessary for life here, it may be necessary for life elsewhere.

" Now let the water represent the world of sensible facts, and let the air above it represent the world of abstract ideas. Both worlds are real, of course, and interact; but they interact only at their boundary, and the locus of everything that lives, and happens to us, so far as full experience goes, is the water. We are like fishes swimming in the sea of sense, bounded above by the superior element, but unable to breathe it pure or penetrate it. We get our oxygen from it, however, we touch it incessantly, now in this part, now in that, and every time we touch it we are reflected back into the water with our course re-determined and re-energized. The abstract ideas of which the air consists, indispensable for life, but irrespirable by themselves, as it were, and only active in their re-directing function. All similes are halting but this one rather takes my fancy. It shows how something, not sufficient for life in itself, may nevertheless be an effective determinant of life elsewhere."

So anyway, level 2 is where most people go apparently. Its like a replica of earth. You still have your same body, minus any pain, injuries... you don't need to sleep or eat, but you can if you like. There are cities, villages, towns, all of the countries are represented. You don't need a house, but people have them. You can work if you want. But there is no money. People play sports, read, research, go to classes, basically whatever they want to do.

And you create things instantly with your thoughts. If you say think of an apple, it appears before you. If you think of having sex with beautiful women, you can have that too.

Sounds an awful lot like lucid dreaming. That's what I was saying in the second post in the OP. Maybe lucid dreaming is actually entering or getting a temporary glimpse one of these other dimensions.

I agree. We are not equipped to fully understand all of reality.

But we can certainly learn more about the universe. We can know more about it than we currently know. So imo we should still keep investigating it and thinking about it. With the understanding that we will never know it all, of course.

I like this passage by William James. How the abstract world, or heaven, is like the air above water. The air replishnesses us but is not breathable as air, only through the medium of water. And though it isn't necessary for life here, it may be necessary for life elsewhere.

I like that too, a lot! Never heard it before but it's a beautiful way to put it. Thanks for posting that, I'll try to remember that one.

The emerald tablets of thoth and the law of one by Ra talk about this stuff... Very very interedasting

Never heard of the emerald tablets of Thoth. I'll check it out.

The Law of One is good, however the only problem I have with it is that Ra says in order to avoid a repeat of earth existence, you have to have basically 51% of your thoughts and actions to be positive. In other words if you want to progress to level 2, the cumulative of your good thoughts and deeds have to reach at least 51%. If your sum total of your thoughts are say 50% good, and 50% bad, then you can't progress and you have to repeat another life on earth. I think rather we choose to come back here on our own free will.

Cool+spot+title.jpg

I am an absolute expert at lucid dreaming. if you have any questions about it, you can pm me. Initially, because of my interactions in my own dreams, i believed it to be a closed area of my own subconsciousness. But now, i am not sure that is completely true.

I used to be great at lucid dreaming, but then my subconscious compensated for that by getting rid of fantasy elements in my dreams and making them reflect reality so I can't tell them apart....in other words, boring as shit. Now I dream about having a bad day at the office and things like that.

Sounds an awful lot like lucid dreaming. That's what I was saying in the second post in the OP. Maybe lucid dreaming is actually entering or getting a temporary glimpse one of these other dimensions.

Could be. Is lucid dreaming where you just control your dreams?

I used to be great at lucid dreaming, but then my subconscious compensated for that by getting rid of fantasy elements in my dreams and making them reflect reality so I can't tell them apart....in other words, boring as shit. Now I dream about having a bad day at the office and things like that.

lol that's funny

Do you use your imagination much, irl? Like, when you're in the office, do you daydream about fantasy, non realistic type things?

Lucid dreaming is interesting, and I've only ever done it a handful of times in my life. Every time was just by accident of course. But it's fascinating we can literally create and change our reality as we are dreaming, and it can become so realistic that it's hard to differentiate it from reality. That's fascinating. Every night we can literally create a "matrix" for ourselves.

That creating process also reminds me of the book of Genesis, when God creates our world. "He said 'let there be light' and there was light." "In the beginning there was nothing but darkness, a void." And things like that. That's one thing I can't understand about close-minded atheistic people....WE can create worlds with OUR thoughts (though we are the only ones who can inhabit those worlds). So why couldn't a supreme being like God create our reality using only HIS mind. Why does that seem so "unrealistic" to some people? I mean, WE can do that to a degree, and we are only human.

Never heard of the emerald tablets of Thoth. I'll check it out.

The Law of One is good, however the only problem I have with it is that Ra says in order to avoid a repeat of earth existence, you have to have basically 51% of your thoughts and actions to be positive. In other words if you want to progress to level 2, the cumulative of your good thoughts and deeds have to reach at least 51%. If your sum total of your thoughts are say 50% good, and 50% bad, then you can't progress and you have to repeat another life on earth. I think rather we choose to come back here on our own free will.

Emerald tablets is a bit of a hard read... Kind of how law of one is tough to listen to at first (the YouTube audio I listened to anyway) but worth it imo if for nothing else than brain candy.

Lucid dreaming is when you become aware that you're dreaming in the dream and can then proceed to take advantage of the different physics etc in my experience

Bump worthy thread.

I do wonder if things like aliens (greys), djinn, fairies, ghosts, etc. are all basically referring to the same phenomena. One theory I've read is that they are a sort of etheric plasma that can manifest in physical form and astral form, and exist just beyond human perception.

Fun to think about, though it's best not to take this stuff too seriously. All will be revealed when the time comes.

My understanding is that the spiritual is where spirits exist, ghosts and the like. They are more advanced than humans but not as advanced as entities that live in the divine. The divine is where souls are created and exist. It says these souls that exist in the divine can communicate with God. God exists in the Logoic (highest) plane. But I am far from being an expert on any of this.

Is this just a fanciful thing for you to ponder or are you actually of the opinion that there's a "Ghost plane"?

Is this just a fanciful thing for you to ponder or are you actually of the opinion that there's a "Ghost plane"?

No this is just food for thought, man. I do suspect there are different planes of existence, but I have no idea for sure

I think drunk and marijuana are my favorite planes of existence.

No this is just food for thought, man. I do suspect there are different planes of existence, but I have no idea for sure

I often wonder about using other planes as walkways between points in our own plane, like a wormhole but with added dangers of demon like entities attacking you on your journey...

I often wonder about using other planes as walkways between points in our own plane, like a wormhole but with added dangers of demon like entities attacking you on your journey...

Could make an interesting video game.

I read a few books about this kind of stuff but Im in no position to say if its true or not. Anyways some say there are 3 or 4 planes, some say 7, and I know people irl who are into shamanism who believe there are massive amounts of planes.

You mentioned mental planes affecting physical plane stuff and a common belief is that there's a basic number of concepts, and that everything is a manifestation of these basic concepts. I've read there are 28 different "basic types" in one place, another place says 1 type per letter of Hebrew or Arabic abjad alphabet, and another has a runic thing for their types.

On one plane the type manifests as a letter, on another a number, on another as an emotion, on another as an animal, on another as a personality type, and so on. Each has a specific color and musical tone. Rhythm has something to do with this too. Same basic concepts but they manifest differenty according to the different laws which correspond to each plane. Theres an trickle down effect from the source of creation but its also possible to go back up. For an everyday example, there are lots of threads around here about depression, and how a persons thoughts (mental plane) affect their emotions (astral) which affect their physical health. Some have found change by affecting their physical thru exercise and diet, which causes changes in their emotional (astral) which causes changes in their thinking (mental).

Nice post, man. I find this all really interesting. What you said about those runes having something to do with rhythm, makes sense to me as a former music major who is now working in electronics. Rhythm is basically frequency. And I've read that everything physical in this universe, has a frequency. And if you look at your state of consciousness as a sine wave, when you feel "off," you are, imo, just operating on a different frequency, and are out of phase with "normal" people.

I also agree with what you said about the mental affecting the physical and so on. The placebo effect also ties into that. Fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

That might be akin to like astral travel or remote viewing. No clue if it's actually possible or not but it's an interesting thought

I feel there has to be some validity to some of this stuff, if not all but its hard for the average person to be able to even conceive these planes as possibilities. I feel like I've skirted along the astral plane briefly and i have a friend who says without a doubt he astral projected.

That might be akin to like astral travel or remote viewing. No clue if it's actually possible or not but it's an interesting thought

I'm pretty sure there are no other planes of existence so I'm highly doubtful its possible.

I feel there has to be some validity to some of this stuff, if not all but its hard for the average person to be able to even conceive these planes as possibilities. I feel like I've skirted along the astral plane briefly and i have a friend who says without a doubt he astral projected.

I know most people don't really think about stuff like this in these terms, and imo that's sad. We've ALL had lucid dreams occasionally, we've all had our mind influence our health, and so on. And I'm like you man I've had times where I feel like I've skirted on the edge of the astral plane. I think remote viewing and astral projection is probably a real thing, but the field of study is filled with charlatans.

On a related note, haven't we ALL had that experience where you randomly think of somebody you haven't talked to or thought about in years, only to have them call you the next day? What's that about?

Last edited:
Neoplatonic philosophers, the kybalion, hermeticism, Manichaeism, Ra material as mentioned previously, I've been going down this rabbit hole and it's quite the historical eye opener, as well as spiritual journey. Bashar is a good one too.

It is my feeling as this point that you are your reality, and you can stay in your lane on the road you have projected in front of yourself, or you can just rip the steering wheel to the left and start tearing your old world a new one.

7 chipmunks on my uncles ranch, come on man you know the story

Another thing about rhythm and feeling off is your heart rate and pulse. You can change a persons rhythm and state by slowing or speeding up their heart rate. Another everyday example is a person throwing on their headphones and having that pounding bass drum going thru them. Their rhythm adapts to the rhythm/pace of the music (specifically the bass drum) and their state changes. Other instruments affect and stimulate. the chakras (astral).

Yep. Apparently everything in the universe vibrates. We've all seen those cool patterns that sound waves make with sand.

Oil_form.gif

Speaking of frequencies and heart rate, I'm reminded of that movie Wanted. Where Morgan Freeman tells the guy that his panic attacks are making his heart beat so fast he can slow down his perception of time. Happened to me once when I was in a car wreck. And I imagine fighters do that, operating and making decisions in fractions of a second. I'm kinda going off on a tangent here, but I feel like all these things are connected, and that we've just been thinking about them the wrong way. I feel like there is truth in both the ancient views, and the current scientific views. The trick is to combine them to get a complete picture of reality. If that even makes sense.

Back