Elections Are there better options to the electoral college?

With 83 times the amount of people as the state of Wyoming.

Plots of land don't get to vote. People do.

Within their state and don’t get to impose their will on other states if all states are equal

Economic realities will slowly force rural America to change their positions but it's going to be a slow change and that's preferable. If we made large scale societal changes in a matter of years, the instability would be awful. I take solace that Trump was a 1 term president, that system can self correct to some degree.

There is no societal change that could fix it All these regions despise the things that make those regions successful. Policies can't fix that.

For the size of the US, I think electoral college is the best way to choose your president, every state has a weight and they are different from each other, its good that each state is heard. Popular vote would just skew in favor of states with high population number, presidency should be just about international affairs, foreign policies, US gives some power to the state compared to other countries and I think they should further the power of each state further.

I am just curious, moving forward, are there better options?

Popular vote?

Number of states counted per candidate?

Something else?

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a shift to there being 50 votes-one for each state, and if there is a tie, they go to total number of votes. My reasoning for this is that some states hold so much more power than other states.

Biden didn’t visit my state once. Not once. Trump was here probably four times. In my city as well. How in the hell could I consider Biden to have any of my interests or represent me since he doesn’t give enough of a shit to come here? I dint think the state ever was even uttered by him.

And if this occurred, would it favor one candidate?

I think trump would win this because he has more states, Biden just got the more populous states. Maybe a better strategy, but when you look at a giant red wall in the center of the country, that is all states he lost and won’t think about until the next election.

I dint like either candidate. I think that trump is as unpresidential as one could get. He promotes division. Biden is dangerous to rights many Americans hold dear and is divisive in his own way. I also think he will step aside to allow his window dressing vp take the reigns.

There is no societal change that could fix it All these regions despise the things that make those regions successful. Policies can't fix that.
No, but time can and, imo, will.

No matter what we come up with nothing is gonna change. This country thrives on drama and bullshit.

EC is fine. We all like it when our side wins the electoral votes.

I would like to see all states be able to split their electoral votes though.

Imagine giving a state with under a million people the same amount of power as a state like Texas or Cali. That’s even worse.

There are better solutions to the electoral college, but getting both sides to agree would be the hard part.
imagine living in that small state and having your life run and dictated by a bunch of fucktards in some state 1500 miles away by people who have never stepped foot inside your small state.

all 50 states or at least the majority of states
I don't have the time nor the crayons necessary to explain this any further for you.
If you think invalidating a large majority of the votes in this country is a good system then by all means you do you, bud. Just know the system you are proposing is quite possibly one of the worst ones I've seen proposed in regards to making people's votes count. Even worse than going straight Popular vote only.

Ranked choice may lead to an increase in viable parties... we really need to get rid of this two party bullshit. It's ruining this country.

States aren't equal. They vary vastly in size and population.

Just cause they vary in size and population doesn’t mean they are not equals...

California can’t impose its gun laws on Wyoming. Why should they be able to impose its president?

The 1 vote per state is interesting. Idk if there is a "better" method. Certainly as a left leaning individual, popular vote would ensure victory basically every time but, that's not exactly fair either.

One thing that needs to change is expansion of the house and removal of gerrymandering cause fuck gerrymandering no matter who does it
its not fair to count each vote? i think that is the only real solution. one person one vote.

I don't have the time nor the crayons necessary to explain this any further for you.
If you think invalidating a large majority of the votes in this country is a good system then by all means you do you, bud. Just know the system you are proposing is quite possibly one of the worst ones I've seen proposed in regards to making people's votes count. Even worse than going straight Popular vote only.

their votes count within their own state

they don’t get to impose their will on other states that are suppose to be equal.

Your voice counts as much as others in your own state...

That doesn’t mean that one state imposes it’s will on others

Of course it does. If you're voting for a president who equally affects every state, every vote should count the same. States aren't voting, people are. I don't care if a state has 2 million people or 22. It's an absurd notion that a state is a voting body. People are. In no sane universe should a popular vote be overriden by an electoral college.

James Madison would support the popular vote right now. The reason he didn't back then was:
The people at large was in his opinion the fittest in itself. It would be as likely as any that could be devised to produce an Executive Magistrate of distinguished Character. The people generally could only know & vote for some Citizen whose merits had rendered him an object of general attention & esteem. There was one difficulty however of a serious nature attending an immediate choice by the people. The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of the Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to fewest objections.
https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/01-10-02-0065

Since the right of suffrage is now diffuse throughout the country and the "Negroes" can vote, the difficulty is now obviated.

Of course it does. If you're voting for a president who equally affects every state, every vote should count the same. States aren't voting, people are. I don't care if a state has 2 million people or 22. It's an absurd notion that a state is a voting body. People are. In no sane universe should a popular vote be overriden by an electoral college.

ppl within states are voting...

There’s no point in having separate state when one big state imposes all its policies on smaller ones

I like this idea a lot, gets my vote.
One vote per State is quite honestly one of the worst ways to decide the Presidential Election
Couldn't agree more, horrible idea that just exacerbates the issue people have with the electoral college.
So you want the 580,000 people in Wyoming to have the same vote as the 40 million people in California?

<36>
They already do in the Senate which massively amplifies the influence of rural low population states but for some reason we need to vastly increase their influence even further? Just doesn't make sense.

Back