Elections Are there better options to the electoral college?

So you want the 580,000 people in Wyoming to have the same vote as the 40 million people in California?

<36>

It’s a state just like California...

you want California to impose its will on 10 other states even though they’re supposed to all be equal?

Popular vote, simple as. Nothing else makes any sense. I don't care where anyone lives, presidency covers the entire country.

you’re supposed to represent entire country not just blocks of heavily concentrated urban populations

It’s a state just like California...

you want California to impose its will on 10 other states even though they’re supposed to all be equal?

They aren't equal. There are 40 million people in California, 83 times the amount of people.

Everyone should get 1 vote per IQ point.

And yes I know IQ tests aren't perfect but they usually get in the ballpark. You don't see geniuses scoring 65, nor imbeciles scoring 140.

But somehow we need to diminish the power of idiots who really don't have the capacity to understand what's going on.

Popular vote with ranked choice at all levels, obviously.

One state one vote would probably make the most sense cause president is suppose to represent all 50 states or most of them.

how can you claim to be the president of the country where more than half of the states didn’t vote for you?
You can claim that when the majority of Americans vote for you.

you’re supposed to represent entire country not just blocks of heavily concentrated urban populations

? I'm sorry, is your choice of where you live anybody's problem? So much so that we have to make your voice count more than somebody else's?

Nah.

To everyone saying it should be popular vote only.

This is America not American Idol.

Obama spoke pretty glowingly about police officers. Right wing media made a very concerted effort to hide that. Through and through, Obama was a thoughtful and deliberate guy, who always seemed to be very moderate by nature, and had a deep respect for the law.

Here are some quotes from Obama. The way he speaks about police, the amount of thought he puts into the way he expresses gratitude and respect, shows a greater level of respect than anything somebody like Trump could ever display. Obama was actually thoughtful and had considered what his words meant.

Obama was never anti-police. History will remember him more accurately than he was painted by his political enemies. When you actually revisit the words of Obama, it paints a clear picture of a deliberate and thoughtful guy. History will look back on a guy like Trump and everyone will go, "Yeah, he was actually worse than we imagined."

Fair enough. I remember him saying
Obama spoke pretty glowingly about police officers. Right wing media made a very concerted effort to hide that. Through and through, Obama was a thoughtful and deliberate guy, who always seemed to be very moderate by nature, and had a deep respect for the law.

Here are some quotes from Obama. The way he speaks about police, the amount of thought he puts into the way he expresses gratitude and respect, shows a greater level of respect than anything somebody like Trump could ever display. Obama was actually thoughtful and had considered what his words meant.

Obama was never anti-police. History will remember him more accurately than he was painted by his political enemies. When you actually revisit the words of Obama, it paints a clear picture of a deliberate and thoughtful guy. History will look back on a guy like Trump and everyone will go, "Yeah, he was actually worse than we imagined."

Ok. I admit that I looked up more quotes and it appears that I was unfair on Obama. Maybe I was fed misinformation, maybe I had selective hearing. I still remember him criticizing law enforcement for shootings like Alton sterling, whom he mentioned by name-that was the guy in Baton Rouge that had a gun and was going for it when he was shot and the protests led to several officers being murdered.

But I will say that you have changed my mind and I appreciate that. Maybe it took getting out of the profession to be able to look at it more objectively. Either way, good on you

No. The Electoral College is a great solution. It was great 4 years ago, it's still great now.

I really hope I'm not going to read 4 years of righties parroting the leftist arguments from 4 years ago.
He's not even parroting leftist arguments. He's arguing for much more extreme disproportional representation than the electoral college.

The electoral college was supposed to be a buffer/check against the stupidity of the common voter. Doesn't work the way the founding fathers intended because of the formation of political parties, since electors just about always vote on party lines.

Since it doesn't work as intended, I say have congress elect the president among themselves like other countries do with the prime minister. Or if that sounds too undemocratic then just make it be the popular vote. Either option is far better than this abomination that is the electoral college... basically the worst of both worlds.

One state one vote would probably make the most sense cause president is suppose to represent all 50 states or most of them.

how can you claim to be the president of the country where more than half of the states didn’t vote for you?

That is my thought process. A potus candidate is supposed to care more about cali vote than five other states combined? Last I checked, potus was supposed to represent all fifty-not just the ones they want the votes from

He's not even parroting leftist arguments. He's arguing for much more extreme disproportional representation than the electoral college.
Yeah, I saw that later. It's still the same argument though just modified to their advantage. Popular vote people want to shift it to the more populous states and screw the less populous ones. This "one state, one vote" idiocy is the same thing shifting the voting power to their states and screwing the others.

Either way, they're all arguing the same "preferential treatment for my state" line of thought.

The electoral college was supposed to be a buffer/check against the stupidity of the common voter. Doesn't work the way the founding fathers intended because of the formation of political parties, since electors just about always vote on party lines.

Since it doesn't work as intended, I say have congress elect the president among themselves like other countries do with the prime minister. Or if that sounds too undemocratic then just make it be the popular vote. Either option is far better than this abomination that is the electoral college... basically the worst of both worlds.
The congress electing the president in a similar way to other countries and their parliaments is not a bad idea but would take some significant changes for it to work in the US. Some form of proportional representation and moving past a two party system would be necessary if we wanted to go that route.

That is my thought process. A potus candidate is supposed to care more about cali vote than five other states combined? Last I checked, potus was supposed to represent all fifty-not just the ones they want the votes from

That’s a difference when you live in a federation of states instead of a unitary state like France.

Individual states are supposed to have an equal say

The electoral college doesn't even make the top 10 issues the US is facing.

Imagine getting rid of the lobbyists, the foreign interests, the NGO's, the importing of votes, banning propaganda (CNN, Fox and MSNBC should be illegal), strict regulations on vote counting, no electronic voting, the sexual predation and blackmail. You'd turn the country around in a day.

Back